Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mavericks Acquire Shawn Marion

the thing no ones mentioned is how good a rebounding team this makes the mavs. kidd josh marion dirk damp/gortat is one hell of a rebounding lineup. Also in a little circle of life story marion ended up being the draft pick that the mavs traded the suns to get steve nash.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    the thing no ones mentioned is how good a rebounding team this makes the mavs. kidd josh marion dirk damp/gortat is one hell of a rebounding lineup.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.
    They could even try to get Curry for Dampier to get a low post scoring option without giving up much on the rebounding departament.
    (Curry's contract sucks, I know)

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    the thing no ones mentioned is how good a rebounding team this makes the mavs. kidd josh marion dirk damp/gortat is one hell of a rebounding lineup. Also in a little circle of life story marion ended up being the draft pick that the mavs traded the suns to get steve nash.
    It's a small world :)

Kidd was also part of the trade that brought Fin to Dallas. Crazy stuff.

I rule the local playground Finn T-Mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    How does this help the Mavericks? I dont see a defender on that starting line-up?
    Right now, Marion is their best defender on perimeter and inside. So a good trade for Mavs and for Marion to get out of Toronto. I just hate to see him with the Mavs.
    Last edited by Finn T-Mac; 07-09-2009 at 05:36 AM.

Local High School Star mrhoopfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by triangleoffense
    How is it hating? It's my own opinion that this was a dumb move by the Mavs... everything is still subjective until the regular season starts.

Ah thats right, sorry my mistake. Either way... Cuban didn't want to hand out Nash the cash necessary because he thought Nash wasn't worth it.. Nash received the leagues MVP twice in Pheonix as well as leading them to what was then the best turnaround season ever in the NBA (currently belongs to the 08 Celtics).
    Uhhhh....Dallas went to the Finals when nash left, to my knowledge, phoenix hasn't been there since he's been the pg

Hmm. I doubt Howard will play a lot at the 2-guard. Jason terry plays a lot of minutes there, and you have to add that Howard never plays at the 2-guard. What I like about the trade is that we get a player that does not need the ball in his hands to be effective like Kidd, Howard and Dirk. Marion is the kind of player who scores on the fastbreak, on offensive rebounds, backdoor-cuts etc, while Dirk and Howard usally create their own shots. Kidd just runs the offense and Terry is also able to create his own shots.

The starting lineup will have Howard at the two guard, but we will see this lineup a lot

Jason Kidd
    Jason Terry
    Josh Howad
    Shawn Marion
    Dirk Nowitzki

^ Uh what?? Do you want Marion at PF and Nowitzki at C or the other way around?

Uhhhh....Dallas went to the Finals when nash left, to my knowledge, phoenix hasn't been there since he's been the pg
    Your speculating. No one knows how Dallas would have fared if they would have kept Nash. Both Nash and Nowitizki has had different forms of success but I don't think many people could deny that both are perennial all-star hall of fame type players. Nash is going into the hall of fame for sure and I'm pretty sure that voters will have a hard time keeping Nowitizki out of there as well.

The Raptors could use a portion of their MLE on Marquis Daniels at shooting guard, or even go small ball with Allen Iverson at the 2 guard position.

Damm Marion's barely shot the 3 once he left Phoenix. It's going to be an interesting lineup but atleast it gives the Lakers a player to put on Kobe.

From what I can see everyone is giving the Mavs a thumbs up on this acquisition? For whatever reason I just don't see Marion being capable of getting a team over the hump, even if he's just a complementary piece. This guy reeks of an overpaid athlete who comes up small in big moments. This was a guy who had a legitimate shot at an NBA title but had to b1tch about his contract which got him sent to Miami.

This deal is getting really complicated. Apparently Orlando is in this mess with Hedo being SnT.

Turns out 11 teams are involved in the deal. Sick.

Marion will not be the piece that puts them over the top, but he's a good 3rd option that provides an array of skills. He can play defense, rebound, block shot, run the floor and he has a decent midrange game. Look for Dallas to either trade Dampier's contract, which will be a valuable asset since teams will look to get under the cap for 2010 and for luxury tax purposes if the decrease in capspace is true, for a legit 2nd option (Rip Hamilton.) Mavs could even package Dampier alongside Howard and get themselves a better player.

If one of these trades fell through, one of their starters might have to come off the bench for the good of the team.

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by triangleoffense
    From what I can see everyone is giving the Mavs a thumbs up on this acquisition? For whatever reason I just don't see Marion being capable of getting a team over the hump, even if he's just a complementary piece. This guy reeks of an overpaid athlete who comes up small in big moments. This was a guy who had a legitimate shot at an NBA title but had to b1tch about his contract which got him sent to Miami.
    Why are you still whining? Marion isn't coming in as a 1st option kind of guy, hell he isn't even going to be the 3rd option. He did fine in Toronto and he should be able to flourish once again with a Nash-like point guard in Kidd. I don't recall him coming up small in any big moments, as he isn't the guy with the ball in his hands in big moments. Your arguments have been very odd in this thread, as is your constant negativety.

Oh, and one more thing. As far as their career's are concerned: Nowitzki >> Nash. Nowitzki is the lock for the HOF, not Nash.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Talk about a win/win deal across the board for everyone involved.

Dallas gets the man they wanted in Marion plus a capable PF with a good motor in Hump to replace Bass if he leaves.

Toronto gets sorely needed depth at the wing spot and their MLE back when they were about to get nothing at all for Marion if he just signed as an FA.

Orlando gets a massive Trade exception of 8M or something.

Memphis gets a couple of cheap g's and some goodwill for doing bascially nothing.

Marion gets the money he wanted that he would not have gotten as a Free Agent.

And of course Fegan gets a bigger commission cheque. :)

Very creative deal.