Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Local High School Star

Default Re: How do you defend a bigger, taller guy posting up on you?

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    If it's man and you're one of the smallest guys in the court, what are you doing being in the paint, man? Take your (proper) man and defend him. However, I'm roughly the same height as you, and in my village, I'm usually the tallest already. Just remember to not be afraid to make contact. I don't mean shoving him and stuff. Just nudge him a little and let him know that you won't back down. Don't lean in too much. Lean in too much and he can quickly take advantage of that. Also be quick on your feet, yet try to keep him from going as deep in as he can.
    You know running and cutting through the lane? even if i follow him, the pg would throw a high pass that he would be able to catch. then he would be in the post and post me up.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    You know running and cutting through the lane? even if i follow him, the pg would throw a high pass that he would be able to catch. then he would be in the post and post me up.
    Well, be active. Usually what I do. Be overly annoying to deny him position. Works for me. I may not be helping you too much though. Sorry if I'm being unclear.

When I'm in a pick up game and I get stuck on a mismatch (I'm 5'7", almost every match up is a mismatch), I know the postup is coming.

What I've learned to do is hold my ground beginning at the three point line. Deny entry into the paint. So when they do establish position, they will be two or three feet from where they want to usually post. This way, as he tries to back you down, you can usually get some type of help defense at a certain point. You just gotta remember to communicate and swallow your pride.

Don't try to do it yourself, if you need help, let your teammates know. Hopefully the person your defending won't be a great passer.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Default Re:

[QUOTE=brownarrayzx][url=http://isedouh.977mb.com/45.html]

Decent playground baller Lancerballer21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Automajic23
    annoy him every time he comes to the block. keep him out of the paint as much as possible by denying position and fronting him, get him frustrated. If you push him enough, in a pick up game he should eventually call quits on the post and settle playing from the outside. OR he'll get really mad and start trying things he might not be good at like attacking you face up, trying to cross you over, etc. In this case... cookies! cookies!
    Yeah dude i agree. Do the little things... tug his shirt a little, step on the heels of his shoes. When i played ball in middle school i was 5'7" and i had to cover kids that were 6'1", so i learned tons of little baby ways to cheat, and although it doesn't help you dominate, you frustrate the hell out of the guy you're covering.