Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad lakerHater's Avatar

Default Re: Hakeem Olajuwon is beginning to become quite overrated here.

Quote Originally Posted by SAKOTXA
    No. He is the most talented big men of all time. And Is top 3 center of all time IMO
    Exactly....& can you really overrate a legend??

Decent playground baller

Op is a idiot. Hakeem> Duncan, Shaq

I watched Hakeem's entire career, and in his prime he was often referred to as one of the greatest centres ever. 92-95 Hakeem basically perfected the Centre position. If you don't believe that you were too young or don't know basketball. Him, Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Russell all deserve to be on par. And probably David Robinson and Patrick Ewing as well.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Kareem's sky-hook was arguably the most deadly shot in NBA history...but there was ONE player who consistently challenged it. Chamberlain ROUTINELY blocked Kareem's sky-hook, and held him to a 100 pts below his career FG% (in fact, about 120 below in Kareem's prime statistical years (70-71 thru 72-73.) In the 71-72 WCF's, Wilt blocked 15 of them in the series, and 11 of Kareem's shots in the last two games. AND, Wilt was 11 years older, and playing on one surgically repaired knee. One can only wonder what a PRIME Chamberlain would have done to Kareem's offense.
    You can't post in a thread without bringing up Wilt, can you?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    Wilt and Russel would get their asses dusted today.
    Prime Wilt Chamberlain would destroy and humiliate Dwight Howard.

Pau Gasol outplayed Dwight in the 2009 NBA Finals.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    You can't post in a thread without bringing up Wilt, can you?
    Well, it appears, neither can you...

take a look at the ninth post on page 1...

No, Hakeem is not overrated here. Bill Russell defintley is and Wilt probably is as well(due to his early stats).
    Of course, YOU know that Russell and Wilt would be complete busts in today's NBA, right?

Just like you bring up that Shaq would abuse the greats of the 60's. Yes, he could brutally pound those guys, perhaps, just as he pounded the players of HIS era. BUT, he would have fouled out in first five minutes back then. In the 60's and 70's, they called CHARGING and TRAVELING. I must have missed the season in which those became legal, but it was definitely legal in Shaq's era.

Yep, Shaq would have KILLED Reed, Bellamy, Thurmond, Cowens, Unseld, Gilmore, Kareem, Lanier, Hayes, and Wilt...

BUT against the powerhouse duo of Ostertag and Foster in the '97 playoffs, he could only muster 22 ppg on 49% shooting. And, yes he could score 27 ppg against 6-7 Ben Wallace too, in his career. WOW!

BTW, I would have loved watching Shaq chase Cowens, Reed, Lucas, Bellamy, Lanier, Hayes, et.al ALL OVER the floor on defense, too. Those guys could actually SHOOT the ball, unlike the bulk of centers that Shaq faced in his career.

7-time NBA All-Star

Just like you bring up that Shaq would abuse the greats of the 60's. Yes, he could brutally pound those guys, perhaps, just as he pounded the players of HIS era. BUT, he would have fouled out in first five minutes back then. In the 60's and 70's, they called CHARGING and TRAVELING. I must have missed the season in which those became legal, but it was definitely legal in Shaq's era.

Yep, Shaq would have KILLED Reed, Bellamy, Thurmond, Cowens, Unseld, Gilmore, Kareem, Lanier, Hayes, and Wilt...

BUT against the powerhouse duo of Ostertag and Foster in the '97 playoffs, he could only muster 22 ppg on 49% shooting. And, yes he could score 27 ppg against 6-7 Ben Wallace too, in his career. WOW!

BTW, I would have loved watching Shaq chase Cowens, Reed, Lucas, Bellamy, Lanier, Hayes, et.al ALL OVER the floor on defense, too. Those guys could actually SHOOT the ball, unlike the bulk of centers that Shaq faced in his career.
    What a troll. Your 55 and it seems like you're in love with Wilt. What are you Wilt's illegitimate son or a former groupie?

So now you're blaming the refs for Shaq's dominance? You're pathetic. Just because Wilt and Russell didn't have footwork as good as Shaq's doesn't mean he traveled all the time.

Look at what Shaq did to Greg Ostertag in the '98 WCF. 32 ppg on 56% shooting. And if Ostertag is such a scrub then how did he basically match Olajuwon in an elimination game?

Ostertag- 16 pts, 14 rbs, 3 blks, 6/6 FG, 4/4 FT, 0 turnovers
    Olajuwon- 16 pts, 11 rbs, 6 asts, 6 blks, 8/12 FG, 3 turnovers

Ostertag was a good shot blocker and defender and bigger overall than any player Wilt faced other than Artis Gilmore.

You don't think Shaq faced centers a lot of that could shoot? Olajuwon? Robinson? Sabonis? Ewing? Mourning? Divac? Ilgauskas? Yao? Smits?

I'd love to see Cowens, Reed and Lucas even attempt to guard Shaq 1 on 1. They'd either foul out or he'd drop 40+(and no, not an inflated 40 like Wilt's).

Oh wait....nevermind. Wilt had a 48" vertical, he could kiss the top of the backboard, he would have shot 90% on 3s had their been a 3 point line, he only missed his free throws because the game was too easy for him. He lost to Boston on purpose becayse Bill Russell paid him.
    Last edited by ShaqAttack3234; 06-13-2010 at 09:44 PM.

FCN
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Prime Sabonis > Hakeem

3-time NBA All-Star

What a troll. Your 55 and it seems like you're in love with Wilt. What are you Wilt's illegitimate son or a former groupie?

So now you're blaming the refs for Shaq's dominance? You're pathetic. Just because Wilt and Russell didn't have footwork as good as Shaq's doesn't mean he traveled all the time.

Look at what Shaq did to Greg Ostertag in the '98 WCF. 32 ppg on 56% shooting. And if Ostertag is such a scrub then how did he basically match Olajuwon in an elimination game?

Ostertag- 16 pts, 14 rbs, 3 blks, 6/6 FG, 4/4 FT, 0 turnovers
    Olajuwon- 16 pts, 11 rbs, 6 asts, 6 blks, 8/12 FG, 3 turnovers

Ostertag was a good shot blocker and defender and bigger overall than any player Wilt faced other than Artis Gilmore.

You don't think Shaq faced centers a lot of that could shoot? Olajuwon? Robinson? Sabonis? Ewing? Mourning? Divac? Ilgauskas? Yao? Smits?

I'd love to see Cowens, Reed and Lucas even attempt to guard Shaq 1 on 1. They'd either foul out or he'd drop 40+(and no, not an inflated 40 like Wilt's).

Oh wait....nevermind. Wilt had a 48" vertical, he could kiss the top of the backboard, he would have shot 90% on 3s had their been a 3 point line, he only missed his free throws because the game was too easy for him. He lost to Boston on purpose becayse Bill Russell paid him.
    Now OSTERTAG is a great defender??? You are REALLY grasping for straws here...

How about Eddie Curry then?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=onealsh01

In their 13 CAREER H2H games, dating back to 01-02 season, we see that Shaq was able to outscore Curry 15.5 to to 12.8 (although, to Curry's credit, he outshot Shaq .533 to .529.) Of course, the fierce rebounder that Shaq was, he managed to outrebound Curry, 6.9 to 5.0.

Ok, go ahead...Curry would have dominated players like Kareem, Walton, Cowens, Reed, Bellamy, Russell, Thurmond, Lanier, ...and Wilt...RIGHT???

7-time NBA All-Star

Now OSTERTAG is a great defender??? You are REALLY grasping for straws here...
    When did I say great? I said he was a good shot blocker and defensive player and he was. You're the one who grasps at straws such as Wilt's "near championships"

How about Eddie Curry then?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=onealsh01

In their 13 CAREER H2H games, dating back to 01-02 season, we see that Shaq was able to outscore Curry 15.5 to to 12.8 (although, to Curry's credit, he outshot Shaq .533 to .529.) Of course, the fierce rebounder that Shaq was, he managed to outrebound Curry, 6.9 to 5.0.
    Nice try, in the first game in that head to head log, Curry played 6 minutes and Shaq played 33 so those numbers had virtually nothing to do with Shaq vs Curry in that game.

In the second game, Shaq didn't even start and it was his first game of the season coming back late from surgery and he only played 21 minutes.

In the 4th game, Shaq left after playing just 25 minutes with an injury.

In the 5th game, Miami blew out Chicago by 24 so Shaq only had to play 30 minutes.

In the 7th game, Shaq only played 32 minutes, but still dominated with 26/10/6/5.

In the 8th game, Shaq left after 2 minutes and never returned.

In the 9th game, Shaq only played 22 minutes in another 20 point victory.

In the 10th game, Shaq had 18 points on 9/13 shooting in just 23 minutes

by the time of the 11th, 12th and 13th games( 2006-2007 2007-2008 seasons) Shaq was well past his prime.

You failed to mention in your comparison that Shaq only averaged 27 mpg in those games, or the fact that in one of them he was playing his first game of the year coming off surgery or 2 others that he left early with injuries, one after 2 minutes. Or the fact that many of the games were blowouts.

Your agenda is obvious.

3-time NBA All-Star

When did I say great? I said he was a good shot blocker and defensive player and he was. You're the one who grasps at straws such as Wilt's "near championships"

Nice try, in the first game in that head to head log, Curry played 6 minutes and Shaq played 33 so those numbers had virtually nothing to do with Shaq vs Curry in that game.

In the second game, Shaq didn't even start and it was his first game of the season coming back late from surgery and he only played 21 minutes.

In the 4th game, Shaq left after playing just 25 minutes with an injury.

In the 5th game, Miami blew out Chicago by 24 so Shaq only had to play 30 minutes.

In the 7th game, Shaq only played 32 minutes, but still dominated with 26/10/6/5.

In the 8th game, Shaq left after 2 minutes and never returned.

In the 9th game, Shaq only played 22 minutes in another 20 point victory.

In the 10th game, Shaq had 18 points on 9/13 shooting in just 23 minutes

by the time of the 11th, 12th and 13th games( 2006-2007 2007-2008 seasons) Shaq was well past his prime.

You failed to mention in your comparison that Shaq only averaged 27 mpg in those games, or the fact that in one of them he was playing his first game of the year coming off surgery or 2 others that he left early with injuries, one after 2 minutes. Or the fact that many of the games were blowouts.

Your agenda is obvious.

NO MORE OBVIOUS THAN YOUR'S...which has been to discredit WILT at EVERY turn.

I am sick-and-tired of your idiotic posts.

7-time NBA All-Star

NO MORE OBVIOUS THAN YOUR'S...which has been to discredit WILT at EVERY turn.

I am sick-and-tired of your idiotic posts.
    All I do is point out his flaws. I wouldn't have to if you didn't overrate the shit out of him. I only started when you started spewing your fanboy crap about Wilt having a 48" vertical(you don't still believe that, do you?) or your fantasy of him averaging 40/20 on 60% in 2000.

Yeah, my posts are idiotic because I don't believe a career 51% free throw shooter had Kevin Garnett type range(20 feet).

Give it up, I've destroyed all of your pathetic posts. Stop while you still have some dignity. Like I said, you must be either Wilt's illegitimate son or a former groupie. There's no other explanation. Either that or you're mentally handicapped.

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    I have seen some pretty ridiculous comments about the legacy of Hakeem on ISH lately, especially the GOAT centre thread. Does anyone else think he is rapidly becoming overrated on ISH?
    Nope....eat a dick and die. Hakeem might be the most complete basketball player of all time and this is coming from someone who was old enough to see the guy play in his prime.

Hakeem is actually underrated due to the whole "Jordan retired crap" and the fact that his best shot at titles early was derailed, because of crackheads.

The man was a straight all time great beast....just as good as any all time great player...stop hating.

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FCN
    Prime Sabonis > Hakeem
    Oh shit... wow

WTF.