Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Cavs likely signing Leon Powe

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    I agree with what you said, 20/10 is more rounded off. He could average 20/10, but most likely 18/9, or 17/9.
    No... I don't think you get what I was saying.

I don't even think he can come close to averaging close to 20. Not even 17. Powe is really limited offensively. Yes, he's better than Varejao... but not a whole lot better.

@ best: 15/10.

And that's assuming he hasn't lost a step athletically & can still explode to the basket.
    Last edited by beasted86; 08-11-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Lookout 4 Boom Herron Da Ballahollic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Rasholds Lewis

The Cavs still have no one to guard Shard unless they put Lebron on him.
    LeBron or Moon..

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    No... I don't think you get what I was saying.

I don't even think he can come close to averaging close to 20. Not even 17. Powe is really limited offensively. Yes, he's better than Varejao... but not a whole lot better.

@ best: 15/10.

And that's assuming he hasn't lost a step athletically & can still explode to the basket.
    Limited offensively? Uh, ok? And you're basing this off what, the handful of Boston games you've seen?

His per 36 stats:

06-07: 13.2/10.7
    07-08: 19.7/10.1
    08-09: 15.8/10.1

He played two games of 40+ minutes back to back last season, got 23/13 and 30/11.

Why do you make baseless opinions? Anyone who watches him knows that his strongest attribute is his post game.

Limited offensively.

Limited offensively? Uh, ok? And you're basing this off what, the handful of Boston games you've seen?

His per 36 stats:

06-07: 13.2/10.7
    07-08: 19.7/10.1
    08-09: 15.8/10.1

He played two games of 40+ minutes back to back last season, got 23/13 and 30/11.

Why do you make baseless opinions? Anyone who watches him knows that his strongest attribute is his post game.

Limited offensively.
    Yes.... limited offensively. He basically has one go-to move.... face up, and attack the basket off the dribble. He drives right around bigger, slower PFs... but has no jumper & doesn't have a strong back to the basket post up, no hook, no fadaway, no step back, etc... just face up & attack, & cleanup points. Also ever take into consideration he's doing that against bench players, and has allstars/borderline allstars all around him to take tons of pressure off? Also... I'm betting 100% chance you didn't bother to glance at his personal fouls per 36 minutes

Really funny how a guy looks like he's coming to the Cavs, and fans suddenly call him this slept on borderline allstar. Suddenly Moon because this athletic slashing defensive lockdown guy, and Leon Powe can average 20/10 .

Blu Ray

Yes.... limited offensively. He basically has one go-to move.... face up, and attack the basket off the dribble. He drives right around bigger, slower PFs... but has no jumper & doesn't have a strong back to the basket post up, no hook, no fadaway, no step back, etc... just face up & attack, & cleanup points. Also ever take into consideration he's doing that against bench players, and has allstars/borderline allstars all around him to take tons of pressure off? Also... I'm betting 100% chance you didn't bother to glance at his personal fouls per 36 minutes

Really funny how a guy looks like he's coming to the Cavs, and fans suddenly call him this slept on borderline allstar. Suddenly Moon because this athletic slashing defensive lockdown guy, and Leon Powe can average 20/10 .
    Like I said, you're basing it off a handful of games, while some of us have real opinions because we've watched him play since he was drafted, as crazy as that sounds.

I thought he was scoring against bench players, so how did he score 30 and 23 against starters respectively? He's surrounded by all-stars/borderline all stars, so that must mean he's never scored a single basket without them there, next to his widdle side! He's completely incapable of scoring in the NBA without being surrounded by All-stars. . . ok, gotcha! So how did he average 20/10 in college after suffering a major knee injury? I'll give you one guess. . . [COLOR=White]his post game[/COLOR].

Numbers don't lie, but I guess we'll never know, right? And who's opinion is everyone gonna believe, yours [who probably watched Powe play less than five times in his life] or the guy who's watched every game of his career?

Like I said, you're basing it off a handful of games, while some of us have real opinions because we've watched him play since he was drafted, as crazy as that sounds.

I thought he was scoring against bench players, so how did he score 30 and 23 against starters respectively? He's surrounded by all-stars/borderline all stars, so that must mean he's never scored a single basket without them there, next to his widdle side! He's completely incapable of scoring in the NBA without being surrounded by All-stars. . . ok, gotcha! So how did he average 20/10 in college after suffering a major knee injury? I'll give you one guess. . . [COLOR=White]his post game[/COLOR].

Numbers don't lie, but I guess we'll never know, right? And who's opinion is everyone gonna believe, yours [who probably watched Powe play less than five times in his life] or the guy who's watched every game of his career?
    Show me one play... from one youtube highlight that disputes how I said he gets his scoring, and I'll believe you... just 1... I don't even need more than that. You keep talking about these "post moves"... when I keep saying he only has basically one post move... face up & attack, and he's not exactly astounding at doing so either.

This is probably as close as it gets to describing a Leon Powe "post move": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9wWAkVOTi8

And I have a hard time believing he'll do that to any starters consistently not named Al Harrington.

The majority of his points come off cleanup, running the floor, teammates feeding him the ball within a few feet of that basket, and.... the 1 isolation post move he does have where he attacks the basket off the dribble which is predicated on being defended by a slower PF or a plain bad defender, because any smart defender should ultimately give him that 15+ footer all day. By "post moves" it sounds like your insinuating he has some vast array of footwork or shot selection which would allow him to consistently averaged near 20 PPG as a starter on various different types of defenders... which he plain doesn't & is nowhere close to. And are you seriously going to use him scoring 20/10 in college, and 2 regular season starts as an example of what he can do consistently in the NBA? C'mon even you should know better than that.

Local High School Star cavsfanatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    He's hurt. What everyone is missing (besides some of you who are calling him this 20/10 starter caliber player for some reason that i can't fathom) is the IF he comes back healthy. It's a great gamble, but the way some of you talk, it's not a gamble at all, it's as if it's a sure thing he'll contribute. It's a great gamble, if he's healthy he's a great addition TO THE BENCH, if not, it's nothing money wise and they aren't counting on him. Great signing, but some of you need a serious reality check.
    to us its not a huge gamble considering he'd be makin 895k and the team holding the option to the 2nd year. if he doesnt play at all it's not worse than sasha 4.5 mil,wally 13 mil and lorenzen wright 1.5 mil all sitting there....yea wally played some but it was a ton of games he didnt play at all...sasha didnt play that much at all and lorenzen played in like 5 games???? so having powe jus sit there making 895k not big to cavs fans...

oh yea i dont think he can average 20-10 completely healthy idk where that comes from but i see him being a solid player for us....he killed us and the lakers and thats no easy task

NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Rasholds Lewis

The Cavs still have no one to guard Shard unless they put Lebron on him.
    and that's exactly what we're going to do. we didnt just sign Moon to play garbage minutes behind LeBron

NBA Finals

Its funny because certain fans of other teams become delusional when they see the Cavs obviously getting better.

- We still have the BAE
    - We got a guy that destroyed our biggest competition a few years back
    - We only got him for the MINIMUM
    - If he doesnt turn out how we want it to, we'll just decline his 2nd year

The only bad is that we dont know how good his knee is gonna be, but that doesnt mean that Cleveland has taken a huge mistake like most of certain fans of rival teams are saying

Powe for the minimum is a great addition + we have a team option on the 2nd year. That's all i got to say about that though, and even though they'll see it and they know it, the trolls will just deny the truth

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
    Its funny because certain fans of other teams become delusional when they see the Cavs obviously getting better.

- We still have the BAE

The only bad is that we dont know how good his knee is gonna be, but that doesnt mean that Cleveland has taken a huge mistake like most of certain fans of rival teams are saying

Powe for the minimum is a great addition + we have a team option on the 2nd year. That's all i got to say about that though, and even though they'll see it and they know it, the trolls will just deny the truth
    I hate Leon Powe. I still have memories of Powe morphing into a combination of Karl Malone and Tim Duncan in the Finals... Bahhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1

- We still have the BAE

Yea, it's a smart gamble... just like when the Heat signed Shaun Livingston to that non-guaranteed 1yr deal last season. Low risk, high reward.

But at the same time, plenty of people become delusional about a player's upside.

Didn't he have ACL surgery and microfracture? Even so, the minimum is a pretty damn good deal even if he misses the whole year and the Cavs are looking at the 2010-11 season.

NBA Finals

Yea, it's a smart gamble... just like when the Heat signed Shaun Livingston to that non-guaranteed 1yr deal last season. Low risk, high reward.

But at the same time, plenty of people become delusional about a player's upside.
    yea i agree. i dont think he'll be how Lebron23/PB expects him to be but i think he'll be a solid bench player and contribute well if he fully recovers, or at 85% at least. And no matter how you look at it he's definitely an upgrade over JJ and Darnell

Blu Ray

jump hook

hook and a fadeaway jumper in this one too

But I'm sure you'll still find something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    I hate Leon Powe. I still have memories of Powe morphing into a combination of Karl Malone and Tim Duncan in the Finals... Bahhhhh