Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Default Re: Cavs likely signing Leon Powe

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    jump hook

hook and a fadeaway jumper in this one too

But I'm sure you'll still find something to say.
    Seriously... no, really... seriously...

Vid 1:
    Vid 2: same recipe I said above (run floor + cleanup + catch & score)
    Vid 3: not working
    Vid 4: Okay, since I said to find one video clip, I guess I'll have to agree with you. Congratulations, you win... you found 1 play. But seriously, how often can he create that fadeway jumper & hit it consistently? As for the rest of the plays in the video, ALL other plays follow the recipe.

I still think he's limited offensively. I really don't see him averaging over 15ppg as a starter when healthy on any teams unless he's the #2 option.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I Knew I shouldn't have said morphing.

Picking up Powe will be another nice move by the Cavs. He's not going to put up anything special as far as numbers go, but he's not a player that shows his true worth in numbers. This season is going to be epic. So many teams have gotten better.

Da Mavs

Pete Montreaux, Per 36 min stats don't mean ANYTHING

Vujacic in 07-08 had per 36 of 17.8 PPG.

That system implies that if you take more shots your FG% stays the same, which in reality is incorrect because as you shoot more, you tend to miss more.

I just love this acquisition. My goodness our rotation is severely revamped from last season. ?Just comparing depth charts is crazy from last year to this year.

Last year (based on role not on scoring)
    1 - Bron
    2 - Mo
    3 - Z
    4 - West
    5 - AV
    6 - Ben
    7 - Wally
    8 - Boobie

This year
    1 - Bron
    2 - Shaq/Mo
    3 - Mo/Shaq
    4 - West
    5 - Z
    6 - AV
    7 - Parker
    8 - Moon
    9 - Powe
    10 - Boobie

We could literally limit our players to less than 36 minutes per game including Bron.

Mo(30)/West(12)/Boobie(6)
    West(18)/Parker(18)/Boobie(12)
    LeBron(28)/Moon(14)/Parker(5)
    AV(26)/Powe(12)/LBJ(8)/Moon(2)
    Shaq(26)/Z(20)/AV(2)

That is an exceptional rotation. Deepest in the league IMO. One note, JJ would take Powes minutes in the start of the season, either that or Bron/Moon. Our depth at every position IMO can't be matched. Honestly without an injury to Bron any other starter can go down and we don't lose any significant amount of talent. For example if mo gets injured Delonte just shifts to the 1 and Parker starts with Moon playing more minutes. This roster has the ability to push the tempo as well as slow it down and play turtle ball with its combination of athletecism and defensive prowess.

People say Shaq just makes our team worse defensively, but I don't see that. We already had a slow C that couldn't defend laterally, but he also couldn't man up physical C's. And our d was still the best in the league. But now we gained a C that can't defend laterally but he ccan man up physical Cs like Howard one vs. 1. So IMO our D got better. Then you have the fact that our second unit is good enough to be a playoff team with Bron instead of Boobie at PG. Just crazy.

When people talk about offseason improvements they don't take into consideration age. To me their is two things.

Age, talent,

Age the Cavs got Parker who is older, Shaq who is old, but we got Powe (hopefully) and Moon who are much younger than the two players they replaced. Even Parker is comparable to Wally in age (I beleive they're the same), and Shaq is like 3 or 4 years older than Wallace, but is still a mucch more effective player. Joe Smith is like 10 years older than Powe, and Moon is older than Pavs, but is a much better player.

Talent this one is simple, we got Shaq who is a top 5 C, we got Moon who is one of the most underrated in the league, we got Parker who is one of the best shooters in the league, and is a very good role player, plus we got Powe who is very good at what he does (tough, rebound, post up).

What we lost though is nothing of importance really. We lost Wally who is easily replaced by what moon does, except Moon actually plays D. We lost pavs who is very easily replaced by what Parker does, but Parker will actually play. Then we lost Ben who is just a defensive presence that was on his last leg and played no offense whatso ever. IMO Ben should be replaced by LeBrons improved abilities. But we got Shaq to replace that what Ben did any ways, except Shaq can score and is a better FT shooter. Powe replaces Joe and plays better D.

One last point about age is that we got younger overall then last year, but we also got older. What I mean by that is replacing wally with Moon (34 with 29) and Joe (34 with 25) but our roster also got a year older as in our core guys. LeBrons improvement in itself with our roster last year possibly puts us ahead of the Magic last season. Mo, Boobie (hard to be worse), AV, LBJ, Delonte all improving will vastly improve us without the personel changes.

I'm excited to see what happens next season, a 66 win team just adressed its major weaknesses and the rest of the league should be scared.

Local High School Star cavsfanatic's Avatar

Ha ha @ the celtics tryin to sign powe after they heard the cavs were trying to get him. Power picked cavs over lakers,magic,mavs and heat. Ha ha he's the only smart one

I really hope the Cavs get to the Finals....Seriously...Because if they don't make it...Leon Powe, Shaq, Mo, West, Moon....Will be getting killed by the Powder Boys aka LeBron apologist...

Lookout 4 Boom Herron Da Ballahollic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cavsfanatic
    Ha ha @ the celtics tryin to sign powe after they heard the cavs were trying to get him. Power picked cavs over lakers,magic,mavs and heat. Ha ha he's the only smart one
    Where you hear that at..link

Made up in his head.

Celtics could have tendered him the same 800k deal, and he would have been a restricted free agent. The 800k didn't even have to be full guaranteed in the qualifying offer. They simply chose not to. They didn't want to make any commitment until he was healthy.

They even signed Shelden Williams to prove they were no longer interested in Powe.
    Last edited by beasted86; 08-12-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    I just love this acquisition. My goodness our rotation is severely revamped from last season. ?Just comparing depth charts is crazy from last year to this year.

Last year (based on role not on scoring)
    1 - Bron
    2 - Mo
    3 - Z
    4 - West
    5 - AV
    6 - Ben
    7 - Wally
    8 - Boobie

This year
    1 - Bron
    2 - Shaq/Mo
    3 - Mo/Shaq
    4 - West
    5 - Z
    6 - AV
    7 - Parker
    8 - Moon
    9 - Powe
    10 - Boobie

We could literally limit our players to less than 36 minutes per game including Bron.

Mo(30)/West(12)/Boobie(6)
    West(18)/Parker(18)/Boobie(12)
    LeBron(28)/Moon(14)/Parker(5)
    AV(26)/Powe(12)/LBJ(8)/Moon(2)
    Shaq(26)/Z(20)/AV(2)

That is an exceptional rotation. Deepest in the league IMO. One note, JJ would take Powes minutes in the start of the season, either that or Bron/Moon. Our depth at every position IMO can't be matched. Honestly without an injury to Bron any other starter can go down and we don't lose any significant amount of talent. For example if mo gets injured Delonte just shifts to the 1 and Parker starts with Moon playing more minutes. This roster has the ability to push the tempo as well as slow it down and play turtle ball with its combination of athletecism and defensive prowess.

People say Shaq just makes our team worse defensively, but I don't see that. We already had a slow C that couldn't defend laterally, but he also couldn't man up physical C's. And our d was still the best in the league. But now we gained a C that can't defend laterally but he ccan man up physical Cs like Howard one vs. 1. So IMO our D got better. Then you have the fact that our second unit is good enough to be a playoff team with Bron instead of Boobie at PG. Just crazy.

When people talk about offseason improvements they don't take into consideration age. To me their is two things.

Age, talent,

Age the Cavs got Parker who is older, Shaq who is old, but we got Powe (hopefully) and Moon who are much younger than the two players they replaced. Even Parker is comparable to Wally in age (I beleive they're the same), and Shaq is like 3 or 4 years older than Wallace, but is still a mucch more effective player. Joe Smith is like 10 years older than Powe, and Moon is older than Pavs, but is a much better player.

Talent this one is simple, we got Shaq who is a top 5 C, we got Moon who is one of the most underrated in the league, we got Parker who is one of the best shooters in the league, and is a very good role player, plus we got Powe who is very good at what he does (tough, rebound, post up).

What we lost though is nothing of importance really. We lost Wally who is easily replaced by what moon does, except Moon actually plays D. We lost pavs who is very easily replaced by what Parker does, but Parker will actually play. Then we lost Ben who is just a defensive presence that was on his last leg and played no offense whatso ever. IMO Ben should be replaced by LeBrons improved abilities. But we got Shaq to replace that what Ben did any ways, except Shaq can score and is a better FT shooter. Powe replaces Joe and plays better D.

One last point about age is that we got younger overall then last year, but we also got older. What I mean by that is replacing wally with Moon (34 with 29) and Joe (34 with 25) but our roster also got a year older as in our core guys. LeBrons improvement in itself with our roster last year possibly puts us ahead of the Magic last season. Mo, Boobie (hard to be worse), AV, LBJ, Delonte all improving will vastly improve us without the personel changes.

I'm excited to see what happens next season, a 66 win team just adressed its major weaknesses and the rest of the league should be scared.

The Cavaliers now have one of the deepest team in the NBA. I'd take this current team over the Cavs team that won 66 games last year.

College superstar

That's awful. Cavs just got a really good role player. Maybe he'll have that lingering injury though.
    Last edited by stephanieg; 08-12-2009 at 02:16 AM.

High School Starter lxlHoTsAuSelxl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    A bench player that averages 8/5 is an "absolutely giant steal"?

Losing a 'major' contributor but replacing him with an even better one doesn't involve any "buts". Kinda like, "Oh look booho we lost Nene but hey we just signed Dwight Howard!!!"
    Cavs fans are trying to be like LA fans, Overrate anyone that joins the team

Local High School Star cavsfanatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    Made up in his head.

Celtics could have tendered him the same 800k deal, and he would have been a restricted free agent. The 800k didn't even have to be full guaranteed in the qualifying offer. They simply chose not to. They didn't want to make any commitment until he was healthy.

They even signed Shelden Williams to prove they were no longer interested in Powe.
    RT @PDcavsinsider: Leon Powe signing should be official in morning. 2 years, $1.77 mil. Sources say Celtics tried to re-sign him after word got out about Cavs.

Idiot lol don't test me I ain't a fool running round here making stuff up

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    That's awful. Cavs just got a really good role player. Maybe he'll have that lingering injury though.

The Cavaliers Main Goal next season is to win their first NBA title.

Shaq, Powe, Parker, Moon, and Green are the missing pieces.

Lookout 4 Boom Herron Da Ballahollic's Avatar

RT @PDcavsinsider: Leon Powe signing should be official in morning. 2 years, $1.77 mil. Sources say Celtics tried to re-sign him after word got out about Cavs.

Idiot lol don't test me I ain't a fool running round here making stuff up
    http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

Yea I see it now..Windy is a legit source. lol if thats true.

Windy also said..

Cavs are not done, they still may sign another big man w/ Powe & JJ Hickson not 100%. Joe Smith and Rob Kurz still on list.
    JJ's back still not 100% healthy..

Bringing back Joe would be nice..If we get Kruz he would become something like Matt Bonner.