Page 51 of 115 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461101 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kevin McHale vs. Elvin Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor K
    Great thread.

But you consider this a valid argument?

"If T-Mac was in the place of Kobe, he could've won 3 titles too. We'll never know, but we'll never know he couldn't either".

It's about what you actually accomplished not what you could've accomplished.
    It was a response to him saying McHale couldn't led a team as the #1 guy. I believe he could have, but he never got the chance because he played alongside one of the all-time greats.

So no I wouldn't consider that a valid argument, or even an argument at all, just a statement.

I think it's about what you accomplished and what you could have accomplished. Certainly more the former than the later but guys who got the most out of what they had should be held in higher regard than those who "could have done more".

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    It was a response to him saying McHale couldn't led a team as the #1 guy. I believe he could have, but he never got the chance because he played alongside one of the all-time greats.

So no I wouldn't consider that a valid argument, or even an argument at all, just a statement.

I think it's about what you accomplished and what you could have accomplished. Certainly more the former than the later but guys who got the most out of what they had should be held in higher regard than those who "could have done more".
    I agree. Well said.

that fundamentally sums up our disagreement. Player's careers should NOT be judged through a lens of what they were capable of but simply be viewed based on what they did.
    Last edited by raiderfan19; 11-13-2009 at 03:56 AM.

Default Re: The GOAT List: 100 Greatest Players in Basketball History

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    The only other 6'9-6'10 or better players that had a better jumper than James is Dirk. But everything else James could do better. Often times people underrate a player for what ever reason maybe because like Drexler,Gervin,Ray Allen James did things that looked effortless. He play and you walk out saying how great a game Magic and Jabbar had then read the paper and are reminded that james had 20something points I think James is right where he belongs a top 30 players I have him ahead of Mchale and Pippen.
    so wrong its just sad.

Dirk
    Bird
    Rashard Lewis
    Peja
    Mcadoo
    Hedo
    Garnett
    Sheed

all had easily better jumpers. Worthy shot 44.7, 44.7 and 40.6 in his 3 seasons without magic. He was a great fast break finisher. Thats all. I could probably name another ten people if i felt like looking.

I assume you know little about Unselds rookie season. How he turned the Bullets around much like Duncan and Bird did for there teams.
    I assume you know nothing about basketball. He was named the mvp despite being the 5th leading scorer on his own team while wilt put up 20/21/4.5 on 58% a team that won 2 less games than unselds while unseld put up 14/18/2.6 on 48%.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    so wrong its just sad.

Dirk
    Bird
    Rashard Lewis
    Peja
    Mcadoo
    Hedo
    Garnett
    Sheed

all had easily better jumpers. Worthy shot 44.7, 44.7 and 40.6 in his 3 seasons without magic. He was a great fast break finisher. Thats all. I could probably name another ten people if i felt like looking.

I kinda of was just making a point that James wasnt a all time outside shooter but his complete game is what made him special. To say all he could do was be a finisher makes me question if you ever saw him in his prime. he was a great post up player as well as face to the basket. He was too quick for most PF and too big for most sf thats why he gave teams like the Celtics and Pistons such a hard time he was too difficult to match up with unlike most of the players you named that are strickly jump shooters.

Good college starter

I assume you know nothing about basketball. He was named the mvp despite being the 5th leading scorer on his own team while wilt put up 20/21/4.5 on 58% a team that won 2 less games than unselds while unseld put up 14/18/2.6 on 48%.

ITs always funny to me when a person has a different opinion from someone and they think they know more even though the majority think otherwise. Unseld won the award so more people in postion to make the selection agrees with me over you. So I have more support on my knowledge of the game than you. Needed to just get that out there.

Second what does MVP mean is it Most Best Player NO its MVP . Wilt had another great year with help from Baylor and West the Lakers did make much improvement from the year before. But with Unseld and a very good supporting cast that finished 6th in the Eastern Conff. the Bullets finsihed with the leagues best record 57 gms with a 21 game improvement. Prior to unseld the Bullets never had a winning season So its clear for most that Unseld had a bigger impact on his team than Wilt did that year. ITs great to show some stats but you need a little more knowledge of the game than just looking at some numbers.

ITs always funny to me when a person has a different opinion from someone and they think they know more even though the majority think otherwise. Unseld won the award so more people in postion to make the selection agrees with me over you. So I have more support on my knowledge of the game than you. Needed to just get that out there.

Second what does MVP mean is it Most Best Player NO its MVP . Wilt had another great year with help from Baylor and West the Lakers did make much improvement from the year before. But with Unseld and a very good supporting cast that finished 6th in the Eastern Conff. the Bullets finsihed with the leagues best record 57 gms with a 21 game improvement. Prior to unseld the Bullets never had a winning season So its clear for most that Unseld had a bigger impact on his team than Wilt did that year. ITs great to show some stats but you need a little more knowledge of the game than just looking at some numbers.
    association does not equal causation. SOOOOOOOOOO many people do not understand that that applies to sports. and the I assume you know nothing about basketball was just basically going with a similar sentence to what i was responding to.

Good college starter

association does not equal causation. SOOOOOOOOOO many people do not understand that that applies to sports. and the I assume you know nothing about basketball was just basically going with a similar sentence to what i was responding to.

I can agree with you but just like with Nash it really has me when people say that the player had no bussiness getting the MVP. Unseld as i shoed had a super year as did nash in winning his two. Every year there are about 32 or 3 players that could be picked to me its the player with the most impact to his team not just the best player in the league or player with best numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    Worthy was not a better rebounder and passer than Dirk.
    Yeah, you're a dumbass.

that fundamentally sums up our disagreement. Player's careers should NOT be judged through a lens of what they were capable of but simply be viewed based on what they did.
    I think you have to look at all the factors and judge them on everything that was within their control.

But if you don't see that way I understand, appreciate you pointing this out, it makes it easier to see why we've differed so much despite having a lot of the same opinions on some of the smaller details.

Glad you've been adding so much to this thread, even if you are a criminal, I mean Raider Fan...thanks.

I think you have to look at all the factors and judge them on everything that was within their control.

But if you don't see that way I understand, appreciate you pointing this out, it makes it easier to see why we've differed so much despite having a lot of the same opinions on some of the smaller details.

Glad you've been adding so much to this thread, even if you are a criminal, I mean Raider Fan...thanks.
    haha the raider in my name actually refers to the texas tech red raiders.

where's jack sikma?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenryan
    where's jack sikma?
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...&postcount=440

Good college starter

Where would you have kevin Porter ex Bullets one of my all time favorite as well as Arice Clark .

Top 250 maybe