Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Becoming A Single Leg Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Automajic23
    strength training helps ofc, but you should be able to reach new highs just by perfecting your jumping form
    yea I think Im lacking 1 leg strength or something. With adrenaline pumping I almost dunked off 1 leg with my left hand I don't know how. But on basic days I can't touch rim off 1 leg. Maybe its because I have weak ankles, or knees. Can you suggest any exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    yea I think Im lacking 1 leg strength or something. With adrenaline pumping I almost dunked off 1 leg with my left hand I don't know how. But on basic days I can't touch rim off 1 leg. Maybe its because I have weak ankles, or knees. Can you suggest any exercises?
    squats, lunges, leg curls, leg extensions,

calf exercises help to a degree too, but your calves don't play that big a role in jumping, not like your quads, hams, and glutes. Core work is very important too.
    Situps, side bends, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Automajic23
    squats, lunges, leg curls, leg extensions,

calf exercises help to a degree too, but your calves don't play that big a role in jumping, not like your quads, hams, and glutes. Core work is very important too.
    Situps, side bends, etc
    Sorry for so much questions. But when training lower body, like lets say Im doing single leg exercises, how many reps and sets are needed?

Sorry for so much questions. But when training lower body, like lets say Im doing single leg exercises, how many reps and sets are needed?
    squats id prob do something like 5x 12,10,8,6,4 use the 1st set of 12 to warm up then go heavier

individual muscles id do 3x10 or 4x8

Learning to shoot layups Harlem's Avatar

i'm 5'10, i can slap the backboard easily with ether hand and catch allys on occasion but for some reason i jus can't duck off one foot, maybe its a mental thing.

I usually hit open layups Spec5ial5k5's Avatar

practice tryin to do backboard taps off one foot thats what i did and i just naturally learn how to jump off one foot. Ur last 2 steps are suppose to be long quick and powerful the the leg ur usin before ur jump is just as important as ur foot ur jumpin off. If ur steps arent long u arm not low enough to jump. Idk if this will help for u but some high jumper said imagin urself jumpin of the foot u steped with before ur jump. Like if ur jumpin of ur left foot imagin urself jumpin off ur right foot

Oh I see so the form is what needs work. Also Im going to be doing single leg workouts and such. Im using football as a way to also increase explosion, and quickness.

Do you think if I practice these things my 1 leg vert will become the same or higher than my 2 leg? Or do I need strength training?
    Strength training would help more with your 2 legged vert, i'd suggest doing more plyos.

i wouldn't recommend doing any more then 8 reps, if you're working on explosive strength. And vary it, so for the first few weeks do 3x8, then 4x6 for a few weeks and then 5x5. You don't want to do the smae routine for months, as you'll just plateau.

Learning to shoot layups cruthikai352's Avatar

Most probably working out using single-leg excercises as they will work differently than using regular 2 lef excercises. Things such as single-leg squat and single-leg hyperextensions. The only plyos I would recommend to use are jumps for height and depth jumps and altitude drops

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    i wouldn't recommend doing any more then 8 reps, if you're working on explosive strength. And vary it, so for the first few weeks do 3x8, then 4x6 for a few weeks and then 5x5. You don't want to do the smae routine for months, as you'll just plateau.
    QFT

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

just lift weights youll be able to jumper using both legs.

5-time NBA All-Star

One leg jumper a la Brent Barry, G-Wallace, Dr. J instead of the D-WIlkins, VInce type? Gotcha. Gotta focus more on movement moreso than power if that makez any sense.

Check this out: http://www.geocities.com/howtoslamdu.../howtodunk.htm

^ Sounds like its written byh a clown but gotta good amount of truth in it.

Emphasize the movement. 1-legged squats with your foot on a higher bench (Bulgarian split-squats), Reverse lunges with a barbell on your shoulders, bounds, skip to my lous, squatting low, sprints etc.

would it help if I did 300 (10 sets of 30) calve raises daily? And add in some jumproping.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

would it help if I did 300 (10 sets of 30) calve raises daily? And add in some jumproping.
    I'm think your thigh muscles are more important than your calf muscles. I remember reading somewhere that your calf muscles give 30% while your thighs give 60-65% or something like that.