Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Mayweather fight link?

Quote Originally Posted by Reef
    True, big risk, little reward.
    Huge risk, huge reward.

Totally unfair fight, size-wise. We might as well throw him in there with Chad Dawson, while we are at it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Huge risk, huge reward.

Totally unfair fight, size-wise. We might as well throw him in there with Chad Dawson, while we are at it.
    I meant the reward in terms of money since Williams won't bring a payday like Pac would. He isn't as well-known in the mainstream either.

What are your predictions for Nipple/Klitschko and Pac/Cotto?

I meant the reward in terms of money since Williams won't bring a payday like Pac would. He isn't as well-known in the mainstream either.
    I agree with that. Legacy-wise, though, it would be a huge boost if PBF stepped up and beat a guy the size of Williams. It is a moot point, because it is never going to happen.

What are your predictions for Nipple/Klitschko and Pac/Cotto?
    LOL @ Nipple.

I'm still not sold on Arreola. He has fought a who's who of tomato cans, which is saying something since even the top of the HW division isn't very good. Biggest win = Witherspoon? SMH.

If he were fighting Wlad, I might actually favor him, since Wlad Klit's glass chin would certainly get tapped more than once.

Vitali is more of a complete fighter with less flaws (conditioning, chin, I mean). I'll go with Vitali via decision or late round stoppage.

I like Pac, but I'm certainly not counting out Cotto. I don't see that fight going the distance, either way. I fear that Cotto's endurance problems may come back to haunt him again and this will give Pac openings to unleash those brutal, tornado attacks.

But, I won't be shocked if Pac gets a little too wild and gets hit harder than he has ever been hit in his life and is unable to recover. That will be a fun fight to watch.

How soon we forget... Just a few years ago, people thought that Floyd was nuts and that he would get exposed for taking on Gatti at 140.
    man, i'll never forget. lost a hundred on gatti that night

We are forgetting that arguably Floyd's best years were at 130. He is not a big welterweight and he will never be a large welterweight. He may have looked big in comparison to JMM tonight, but the bulk of Floyd's career was fought at 135 and below.

Also, it doesn't matter what the fighters came into the ring, weight-wise. It is totally above board to rehydrate before the fight and put on major pounds. There were reports that Hatton would go from 140 to 160 from the weigh-in to the actual fights. Sometimes, too much weight can be a bad thing.

All that matters is that Floyd was THREE pounds over in the pre-fight weigh-in. I could understand if Floyd were really leaning on JMM and pushing him around, but he was moving to the center of the ring and staying on the outside throughout the evening. That indicates a guy that is relying on technique and speed... Not size.
    Mayweather has been fighting 140+ lbs. since 2004, while Marquez was fighting at 126, and just making his way into 130...what is your point?

This is what happend: Put a way smaller post-prime fighter with a legendary reputation at much lighter weight classes in with one of the greatest welterweights. Floyd has fought as high as 154 while Marquez was just making his way into 140 last night. Now let's also allow that guy to disregard a contract agreement on the weight demands. In pro boxing, weight classes are used strategically, which is why negiotiations are so tough in mainstream boxing because it DOES matter on that level. What do you get? A complete domination. Of course. Floyd was just physically dominating to begin with, then with an unfair advantage. By definition and fact, it is an unfair advantage and proved to be so.

You say it doesn't matter what fighters weigh in at on fight night, but the fact is, he was overweight even when it did matter, let alone on fight night when he didn't even have to worry about it. Was it so impossible for Mayweather to drain down to 144 to meet the agreement? It was obviously a planned thing because he's a world class pound for pound fighter. What makes this pathetic is that it's so obvious this was on purpose. "Money" May didn't even have to worry about nothing more than chump change penalities fees because of the politics of boxing says this fight would happen no matter what. He used that, and it's just sad.

I'm not taking anything away from Floyds skills or anything, I love to watch him fight and he's still on top of his game. The circumstances of his comeback are just shady. I can't respect that, and I won't. When he shows me something against the top and prime fighters in Cotto, Paquiao, Berto(should be considered a threat), or Mosley(not in his prime, but still just as dangerous), I'll sing his praises and support his legacy. Until then, this is just another case that doesn't help support what Mayweather and his diehard fans want him to be considered as. There are welterweights that can beat him, and it could easily happen in his next three fights if he fights legit guys.
    Last edited by Undisputed; 09-20-2009 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Undisputed
    Mayweather has been fighting 140+ lbs. since 2004, while Marquez was fighting at 126, and just making his way into 130...what is your point?

This is what happend: Put a way smaller post-prime fighter with a legendary reputation at much lighter weight classes in with one of the greatest welterweights. Floyd has fought as high as 154 while Marquez was just making his way into 140 last night. Now let's also allow that guy to disregard a contract agreement on the weight demands. In pro boxing, weight classes are used strategically, which is why negiotiations are so tough in mainstream boxing because it DOES matter on that level. What do you get? A complete domination. Of course. Floyd was just physically dominating to begin with, then with an unfair advantage. By definition and fact, it is an unfair advantage and proved to be so.

You say it doesn't matter what fighters weigh in at on fight night, but the fact is, he was overweight even when it did matter, let alone on fight night when he didn't even have to worry about it. Was it so impossible for Mayweather to drain down to 144 to meet the agreement? It was obviously a planned thing because he's a world class pound for pound fighter. What makes this pathetic is that it's so obvious this was on purpose. "Money" May didn't even have to worry about nothing more than chump change penalities fees because of the politics of boxing says this fight would happen no matter what. He used that, and it's just sad.

I'm not taking anything away from Floyds skills or anything, I love to watch him fight and he's still on top of his game. The circumstances of his comeback are just shady. I can't respect that, and I won't. When he shows me something against the top and prime fighters in Cotto, Paquiao, Berto(should be considered a threat), or Mosley, I'll sing his praises and support his legacy. Until then, this is just another case that doesn't help support what Mayweather and his diehard fans want him to be considered as. There are welterweights that can beat him, and it could easily happen in his next three fights if he fights legit guys.

First of all, this is exactly why catch-weights are terrible, in my view. So, if Floyd would have had to completely dehydrate himself and get down to 142 making him less effective than he would be at his best, a JMM win over him would have been a travesty? After all, May wouldn't be the fighter that he was at 145. Would a win over a malnourished, dehydrated fighter have been a great stamp on JMM's legacy (not that it would have happened anyway)?

I've never been a fan of catch-weights. Mayweather is clearly at his best, right now, in the 147 range. So, wouldn't guys want to fight him in that range instead of using 'tactics' to try to limit his capabilities?

I can see that this is the talking point that will be used (as I suspected) in an effort to diminish what was an incredible, virtuoso performance by Floyd. He has had enough great wins and incredible performances not to need anyone to stick up for his record, though. It speaks for itself.

You won't 'support his legacy' because he was three pounds over at the weigh-in? He could have lost this fight via first round KO and he would still have an incredible resume.

First of all, this is exactly why catch-weights are terrible, in my view. So, if Floyd would have had to completely dehydrate himself and get down to 142 making him less effective than he would be at his best, a JMM win over him would have been a travesty? After all, May wouldn't be the fighter that he was at 145. Would a win over a malnourished, dehydrated fighter have been a great stamp on JMM's legacy (not that it would have happened anyway)?

I've never been a fan of catch-weights. Mayweather is clearly at his best, right now, in the 147 range. So, wouldn't guys want to fight him in that range instead of using 'tactics' to try to limit his capabilities?

I can see that this is the talking point that will be used (as I suspected) in an effort to diminish what was an incredible, virtuoso performance by Floyd. He has had enough great wins and incredible performances not to need anyone to stick up for his record, though. It speaks for itself.

You won't 'support his legacy' because he was three pounds over at the weigh-in? He could have lost this fight via first round KO and he would still have an incredible resume.
    This is pro boxing, man. Contracts have a meaning because it's a man's word that's signed and has legal meaning. You say these are talking points trying to diminish Floyd, but in reality you're using talking points to make this not seem like it's as big of a deal as it is. They're called negioations, and then there's a compromise which is what both sides felt comfortable with. Mayweather violated it and there's no way you can tell me it's not an advantage. If he didn't like the idea to the agreed weight, he shouldn't have signed the contract. Why should Marquez risk something but not Floyd?

Floyd could have drained to that weight easily, but chose to be a b*tch and use the politics in his favor to have an even bigger advantage. Mayweather fans will spin this, much like Mayweather will spin it himself, but I'm pretty unbias in boxing and this was an embarrassment. I appreciate his skills and talent as much as you do, he just hasn't been bold enough in his career for me to hold him in as high regard as his (diehard)fans do.

We can agree that catch weight's are crap.
    Last edited by Undisputed; 09-20-2009 at 03:20 AM.

This is pro boxing, man. Contracts have a meaning because it's a man's word that's signed and has legal meaning. You say these are talking points trying to diminish Floyd, but in reality you're using talking points to make this not seem like it's as big of a deal as it is. They're called negioations, and then there's a compromise which is what both sides felt comfortable with. Mayweather violated it and there's no way you can tell me it's not an advantage. If he didn't like the idea to the agreed weight, he shouldn't have signed the contract. Why should Marquez risk something but not Floyd?

Floyd could have drained to that weight easily, but chose to be a b*tch and use the politics in his favor to have an even bigger advantage. Mayweather fans will spin this, much like Mayweather will spin it himself, but I'm pretty unbias in boxing and this was an embarrassment. I appreciate his skills and talent as much as you do, he just hasn't been bold enough in his career for me to hold him in as high regard as his (diehard)fans do.

We can agree that catch weight's are crap.
    JMM would have been well within his rights and well within the verbage of the contract to decide not to step in the ring if he truly thought that those three pounds would have resulted in him losing all 12 rounds. He chose to allow PBF to be penalized monetarily and go forward with the fight.

To me, once those guys stepped inside the ropes together, all posturing and politics go out the window. In the old days of Sugar Ray Robinson and the like, this wouldn't even be a topic of conversation. You were a lightweight, a welterweight or a middleweight.

142? What the f#ck is that. These catch-weights are a relatively recent phenomena in the sport and, imo, there are too many weight classes already, not even factoring in catch-weights.

Bottom Line: PBF violated the terms of the catch-weight. It was JMM's decision to not go through with the fight or have PBF be penalized and step into the ring. He decided to take the latter option.

We will never truly know if those three weights had any significant impact. All we do know, at this moment, is that a Floyd Mayweather Jr. who weighed in at 145 pounds beat a JMM that weighed in at 141 pounds and he did so with technique and speed, not by laying on him in an attempt to wear him down. That is enough for me.

JMM would have been well within his rights and well within the verbage of the contract to decide not to step in the ring if he truly thought that those three pounds would have resulted in him losing all 12 rounds. He chose to allow PBF to be penalized monetarily and go forward with the fight.

To me, once those guys stepped inside the ropes together, all posturing and politics go out the window. In the old days of Sugar Ray Robinson and the like, this wouldn't even be a topic of conversation. You were a lightweight, a welterweight or a middleweight.

142? What the f#ck is that. These catch-weights are a relatively recent phenomena in the sport and, imo, there are too many weight classes already, not even factoring in catch-weights.

Bottom Line: PBF violated the terms of the catch-weight. It was JMM's decision to not go through with the fight or have PBF be penalized and step into the ring. He decided to take the latter option.

We will never truly know if those three weights had any significant impact. All we do know, at this moment, is that a Floyd Mayweather Jr. who weighed in at 145 pounds beat a JMM that weighed in at 141 pounds and he did so with technique and speed, not by laying on him in an attempt to wear him down. That is enough for me.
    Those who aren't goo-goo for Mayweather will not see things your way. Marquez, unlike Floyd has proved to be a warrior that will not back down from any kind of challenge. You think a guy like him will say, "I'm not fighting because he's bigger than me?" That doesn't neglect the fact that Mayweather basically cheated, and he violated an agreement that he could've met. Just plain sad.

It's so cute how Mayweather fans react just like him when people point out obvious facts that make him look shady. I'm not hating, I'm just saying you have to be extremely bias to say there was nothing wrong with the weight situation. As a fighter and someone who is always around fighters, weight means A LOT in this game.
    Last edited by Undisputed; 09-20-2009 at 03:41 AM.

Those who aren't goo-goo for Mayweather will not see things your way. Marquez, unlike Floyd has proved to be a warrior that will not back down from any kind of challenge. You think a guy like him will say, "I'm not fighting because he's bigger than me?" That doesn't neglect the fact that Mayweather basically cheated, and he violated an agreement that he could've met. Just plain sad.

It's so cute how Mayweather fans react just like him when people point out obvious facts that make him look shady. I'm not hating, I'm just saying you have to be extremely bias to say there was nothing wrong with the weight situation. As a fighter and someone who is always around fighters, weight means A LOT in this game.
    I never said that weight didn't mean A LOT in boxing. I also never said that what Mayweather did wasn't wrong. He should have lived up to the terms of the contract.

i am a purist and boxing fan first and foremost, before any fan of any single, individual fighter.

The fact of the matter is, PBF being three pounds over happened in the middle of the week. This isn't some new occurrence that happened just before the fight. Yet, it was barely even a conversation piece... Not on ESPN.... Not on these forums... Virtually nowhere.

Yet, as soon as Floyd dominates, the detractors have to find a reason for his domination, other than the fact he is a vastly superior fighter.

Would I have preferred for PBF to live up to the terms of the contract? Yes. Am I going to allow those three pounds to taint the entire fight, even after JMM virtually squashed it by accepting the reworked deal? No.

An incredible display of boxing technique is an incredible display of boxing technique and I don't care if the guy was 145 pounds or 142 pounds.

Yes... Weight means something in boxing... Too much, imo. We don't need a weight class for every five pounds and we certainly don't need catch-weights.

I agree with you that PBF should have lived up to the terms of the deal. I just think it made absolutely no difference in the outcome of this particular fight. That is not a Floyd fan talking... That is a guy who has participated in and followed/studied the sport his entire life.

I've seen instances in which weight is absolutely a huge factor. Floyd's speed and ring generalship were more important than those three pounds or weight in general.

Fact is, JMM wouldn't be able to hit/hurt Floyd if this fight were at 135. I'm just going by what I saw in the ring tonight, not partisanship one way or the other.

Both guys were welterweights, imo.

I rule the local playground

anyone have a link?

The weight was not an issue. JMM barely got a hand on Floyd. I could see if Floyd had been using his size to bully JMM around the ring, but that was not the case. I don't understand why you are hung up on that issue. He landed like 69 punches the entire fight and not a one was landed with full impact because Floyd rolled or moved enough to neutralize and eventually take away the power behind them with his accuracy.

I never said that weight didn't mean A LOT in boxing. I also never said that what Mayweather did wasn't wrong. He should have lived up to the terms of the contract.

i am a purist and boxing fan first and foremost, before any fan of any single, individual fighter.

The fact of the matter is, PBF being three pounds over happened in the middle of the week. This isn't some new occurrence that happened just before the fight. Yet, it was barely even a conversation piece... Not on ESPN.... Not on these forums... Virtually nowhere.

Yet, as soon as Floyd dominates, the detractors have to find a reason for his domination, other than the fact he is a vastly superior fighter.

Would I have preferred for PBF to live up to the terms of the contract? Yes. Am I going to allow those three pounds to taint the entire fight, even after JMM virtually squashed it by accepting the reworked deal? No.

An incredible display of boxing technique is an incredible display of boxing technique and I don't care if the guy was 145 pounds or 142 pounds.

Yes... Weight means something in boxing... Too much, imo. We don't need a weight class for every five pounds and we certainly don't need catch-weights.

I agree with you that PBF should have lived up to the terms of the deal. I just think it made absolutely no difference in the outcome of this particular fight. That is not a Floyd fan talking... That is a guy who has participated in and followed/studied the sport his entire life.

I've seen instances in which weight is absolutely a huge factor. Floyd's speed and ring generalship were more important than those three pounds or weight in general.

Fact is, JMM wouldn't be able to hit/hurt Floyd if this fight were at 135. I'm just going by what I saw in the ring tonight, not partisanship one way or the other.

Both guys were welterweights, imo.
    It's a conversation piece because weight was already horribily against Marquez and Mayweather doesn't help his cause. He could've won anyway, why not keep your end of the deal? Marquez took risk and Mayweather took none even though he was the favorite and obviously a better fighter. That just makes me believe he's seriously is just not into taking any kind of risk whatsoever. This doesn't help the perception on him, and it was wrong. Once again, Mayweather was more than three pounds heavier than Marquez tonight, and of course he refused the weigh-in before the fight, go figure.

Marquez is not a welterweight and Mayweather is, that is why there was a catch weight so the fight could even happen. Like I said, I only have a thing about it because I know May could've made that weight. A heavier fighter can physically dominate a fight. If Floyd drained, it wouldn't have been as much of a domination, but the same result as far as Marquez losing. A heavier fighter also has harder punches, which makes every punch connected stronger. When a legit welterweight is fighting a guy who made a living 130 and less punches with more weight, it's a big deal. Kind of like baseball and steroids, it makes you stronger but doesn't help you hit the ball. When greats have an advantage, they will dominate out of the oridinary.
    Last edited by Undisputed; 09-20-2009 at 04:17 AM.

Decent playground baller krazy19's Avatar

Of course Marquez was going to continue the fight at 146. He would not have let this kind of payday slip by him. However, 144, 146, 130, or 135, it would always be a win for Money.

Even though Marquez is still #3 P4P in my eyes, this win should not be considered a great one for Money. Marquez was still too small and obviously a horrible style match up for Floyd.

Good tune-up but I give Floyd as much credit as I would Rafa or Israel coming back and beating the **** out of Calderon.

Just to clarify, Floyd technically did not break the terms of the contract. The contract stated that he could weigh in as heavy as 147, he would just have to compensate JMM money for every pound over 144 he was. So Floyd was allowed to weigh as much as he did as long as JMM got money out of it.