Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I rule the local playground JG000's Avatar

Default Re: Top 5 favorite basketball quotes of all time?

[COLOR="Navy"]
    "It would have been nice if I could stay home in New York. But I'm going to make the best of my situation. I'm looking forward to it."
    [/COLOR]
    - Chris Mullin, Draft Day 1985

Banned

Yes Carmen tasted like strawberry with whip cream.

- Dennis Rodman

Banned

"David Stern wonders why the League is losing money, that's why. People pay good money to come watch these athletes play and they try to take over the fuc[COLOR="black"]k[/COLOR]ing game" - Shaq

Reporter: Shaq, we're on live...

"I don't give a [COLOR="black"][COLOR="black"]s[/COLOR][/COLOR]hit."

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    "An open letter to Wilt Chump-erlain: You'll always be remembered as a whining cry-baby and a quitter."
    -Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in his autobiography, "Kareem"

Wilt simply was a more dominant player. He could pour on the offense to higher degrees than Kareem. Wilt is the greatest rebounder in history, and Kareem was a weak rebounder for his size. Wilt was a better passer, and I believe, a better defender. When Wilt was in his final 2 years, which corresponded with Kareem's 3rd and 4th year, Wilt was still making the first team all-defense over Kareem. None of this is a bag on Kareem, because I do believe Kareem is one of the 3 greatest centers in history, but he simply was no Wilt.

Some will try to bring up rings. This is a silly argument, since rings are a team achievement, but still, consider that during Kareem's first 10 years, he won 1 ring, and made the finals 3 times. When Wilt did this, fools call it "choking", but Kareem "didn't have the teammates." Frankly, if Kareem didn't have one of the 2 greatest point guards in history (Oscar Robertson or Magic Johnson), then his teams did extremely poorly. In 1975 and 1976, Kareem led them to losing records. In 1977, they were higher-seeded and got swept by Bill Walton's Traiblazers. In 1978, they were finished 4th place in the 5 team Pacific Division. In 1979, they finished 3rd in the 6th team Pacific Division. Did he have teammates? Well, in 1979, he had Norm Nixon, Adrian Dantley, and Jamaal Wilkes. Is that talent? So in the 5 seasons without Magic and Oscar, they won only 1 division title, and never won a game past the conference semi-finals. In 1980, Magic Johnson joined the Lakers, and they started winning titles. When Kareem retired in 1989, the Lakers replaced him with Vlade Divac and won 6 MORE games. Food for thought.

So did Kareem win titles? No. The Lakers (and Bucks) won titles. One man teams do not win titles.

Kareem did play longer, but does this make Robert Parish better than Kareem? No. Also, Kareem played less minutes than Wilt. Who couldn't play more games when they are pacing themselves? Kareem played 20 seasons to Wilt's 14. However, if you take Wilt's min/game and turn them into the number of games Kareem played, Wilt played the equivalent of 18 seasons! And consider, in Wilt's final season, he set a record for field goal percentage (72.7%), led the league in rebounds, and was first team all-defense (over Kareem). Wilt retired while he was still a star in the league. When Kareem retired, he wasn't even beating out backup Mychal Thompson in minutes. Kareem was a starter by title-only. He also hacked off Lakers' GM Jerry West by coming to work out of shape, and giving what was considered a half-hearted effort. You can read about this in Kareem's book Kareem. You can also read Kareem try to justify his poor work habit.

So once you slice through the superficial rhetoric, it comes down to who was the most dominant player and the answer was Wilt. He could fill any role on a team. Kareem could not. If you needed someone to focus on defense and clean the glass, Kareem couldn't do it.

Banned

"Stuff like that happens on teams all the time (verbal argument between Allen and Garnett). Different personalities. But Ray's to blame. He's crazy. One night he gets on the plane and says, 'Paul, you're in the wrong seat.' I told him, 'Man, there's a hundred seats open. Leave me alone.' " - Paul Pierce

"I walk in and say, 'Why are you parking in my spot? He (Antonio Daniels) is acting like he doesn't know what I am talking about."
    "We are playing the Knicks that night. I think I had about 40 points, but I'm still mad. I'm at the free throw line and Daniels comes up to me and says, 'You need me to take that spot more often.' I hit the free throw, then turn to him and shout, 'You stay out of my spot!' " - Ray Allen

These crack me up.

Learning to shoot layups kingchessking's Avatar

"I

[COLOR=Teal]"Who wants to sex Mutombo?"
    [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=kingchessking]"I

I rule the local playground JG000's Avatar

[QUOTE=phoenix18]

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln

Wilt simply was a more dominant player. He could pour on the offense to higher degrees than Kareem. Wilt is the greatest rebounder in history, and Kareem was a weak rebounder for his size. Wilt was a better passer, and I believe, a better defender. When Wilt was in his final 2 years, which corresponded with Kareem's 3rd and 4th year, Wilt was still making the first team all-defense over Kareem. None of this is a bag on Kareem, because I do believe Kareem is one of the 3 greatest centers in history, but he simply was no Wilt.

Some will try to bring up rings. This is a silly argument, since rings are a team achievement, but still, consider that during Kareem's first 10 years, he won 1 ring, and made the finals 3 times. When Wilt did this, fools call it "choking", but Kareem "didn't have the teammates." Frankly, if Kareem didn't have one of the 2 greatest point guards in history (Oscar Robertson or Magic Johnson), then his teams did extremely poorly. In 1975 and 1976, Kareem led them to losing records. In 1977, they were higher-seeded and got swept by Bill Walton's Traiblazers. In 1978, they were finished 4th place in the 5 team Pacific Division. In 1979, they finished 3rd in the 6th team Pacific Division. Did he have teammates? Well, in 1979, he had Norm Nixon, Adrian Dantley, and Jamaal Wilkes. Is that talent? So in the 5 seasons without Magic and Oscar, they won only 1 division title, and never won a game past the conference semi-finals. In 1980, Magic Johnson joined the Lakers, and they started winning titles. When Kareem retired in 1989, the Lakers replaced him with Vlade Divac and won 6 MORE games. Food for thought.

So did Kareem win titles? No. The Lakers (and Bucks) won titles. One man teams do not win titles.

Kareem did play longer, but does this make Robert Parish better than Kareem? No. Also, Kareem played less minutes than Wilt. Who couldn't play more games when they are pacing themselves? Kareem played 20 seasons to Wilt's 14. However, if you take Wilt's min/game and turn them into the number of games Kareem played, Wilt played the equivalent of 18 seasons! And consider, in Wilt's final season, he set a record for field goal percentage (72.7%), led the league in rebounds, and was first team all-defense (over Kareem). Wilt retired while he was still a star in the league. When Kareem retired, he wasn't even beating out backup Mychal Thompson in minutes. Kareem was a starter by title-only. He also hacked off Lakers' GM Jerry West by coming to work out of shape, and giving what was considered a half-hearted effort. You can read about this in Kareem's book Kareem. You can also read Kareem try to justify his poor work habit.

So once you slice through the superficial rhetoric, it comes down to who was the most dominant player and the answer was Wilt. He could fill any role on a team. Kareem could not. If you needed someone to focus on defense and clean the glass, Kareem couldn't do it.
    I don't have a beef with Wilt, Kareem does.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

"When you think of MJ, what is the first thing that come to your mind? Me. I know."~Steve Nash

"I'm just like you, only ten times better."~Steve Nash

Not a direct quote: "I hate when they talk to you in halftime or after the game. You are all sweaty and sound like an idiot. "~ Kobe Bryant

Most Valuable Poster

"How the hell can I make my teammates better by practice?" - The Answer

Quote Originally Posted by JG000
    terrible quote, and it barely makes sense.

instead of addressing what's really sending a bad message to kids (the athlete's behavior), iverson dances around it and blames stern for enforcing a dress code.

pathetic.
    It clearly makes sense. He is saying no matter how you dress, you cant change a person. Which is true. How that flew over your head? I dont know.