Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: David Robinson was better than Hakeem Olajuwon

Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate
    Robinson was the better scorer and shooter. Hakeem was far superior on D, was more clutch, and had more moves in the post.

Throughout their career:

Shaq shot 54.4% against Hakeem. Ewing shot 45.6% against Hakeem.
    Hakeem won 6 out of 20 meetings with Shaq and 13 out of 27 meetings with Ewing.

Shaq shot 53.6% against Robinson. Ewing shot 43.4% against Robinson.
    Robinson won 12 out of 23 meetings with Shaq and 12 out of 19 meetings with Ewing.

Hakeem shot 44% against Robinson. Robinson shot 48% against Hakeem. Robinson won 30 out of 42 meetings with Hakeem.

Robinson > Hakeem

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

Throughout their career:

Shaq shot 54.4% against Hakeem. Ewing shot 45.6% against Hakeem.
    Hakeem won 6 out of 20 meetings with Shaq and 13 out of 27 meetings with Ewing.

Shaq shot 53.6% against Robinson. Ewing shot 43.4% against Robinson.
    Robinson won 12 out of 23 meetings with Shaq and 12 out of 19 meetings with Ewing.

Hakeem shot 44% against Robinson. Robinson shot 48% against Hakeem. Robinson won 30 out of 42 meetings with Hakeem.

Robinson > Hakeem
    Thats not really a fair comparison, cus Shaq rapped everyone, from mutumbo to Divac to Hakeem, they all got killed by Shaq. A comparison to a guy that someone actually had a chance of slowing down like Ewing would be more fair.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Ok I'll use the pace as a reference an use Hakeem's mid 90's peak and Duncan's 3 year peak(2002-2004)

Hakeem's numbers

1992-1993 26.1 ppg, 13 rpg, 3.5 apg, 4.2 bpg, 1.8 spg, 52.9 FG%, 77.9 FT%, 3.2 TO
    1993-1994 27.3 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 3.6 apg, 3.7 bpg, 1.6 spg, 52.8 FG%, 71.6 FT%, 3.4 TO
    1994-1995 27.8 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 3.5 apg, 3.4 bpg, 1.8 spg, 51.7 FG%, 75.6 FT%, 3.3 TO

Duncan's 2002 season adjusted to the 1993 Rockets pace- 26.7 ppg, 13.3 rpg, 3.9 apg, 2.6 bpg, 0.7 spg, 50.8 FG%, 79.9 FT%, 3.4 TO
    Duncan's 2003 season adjusted to 1994 Rockets pace24.6 ppg, 13.6 rpg, 4.1 apg, 3.1 bpg, 0.7 spg, 51.3 FG%, 71 FT%, 3.3 TO
    Duncan's 2004 season adjusted to 1995 Rockets pace 23.5 ppg, 13.1 rpg, 3.3 apg, 2.9 bpg, 1 spg, 50.1 FG%, 59.9 FT%, 2.9 TO

Duncan's 2002 season adjusted to 1993 narrowly edges out Dream in points and rebounds and assists, but that's evened out by the fact that Duncan was less efficient(without even adjusting his FG% which in all probability would go down given more shots) and Duncan's higher turnover average. So we can say that outside of blocks and steals, Tim and Hakeem are virtually even when comparing those seasons. However Dream slaughters Duncan in the blocks and stealsdepartment.

Plus it's not really fair to assume a player will score more at a slightly faster pace, particularly a low post player. Superstars scoring generally doesn't see that much of an increase in scoring at a faster pace because their system is already designed to have the ball go through them as much as possible. I don't have a problem with Duncan's rebounding being slightly higher at the faster pace, but really, how much of a difference does 0.6 extra rebounds make when comparing the seasons? It's safe to say that both are virtually even as rebounders anyway.

When comparing Duncan's 2003 to Hakeem's 1994, Duncan still falls short by almost 3 ppg(even though I explained the flaws when adjusting scoring to pace), he edges him by 0.5 apg and almost 2 rpg, still falls well short in blocks and steals, 0.1 less turnover and less efficient as far a FG% and FT%.

More of the same when comparing Hakeem's 1995 to Duncan's 2004. Hakeem slaughters him in scoring and steals while he was quite a bit more efficient due to his higher FG% and Duncan's sub 60% foul shooting, Duncan easily wins in rebounding, but loses in assists(although he also had fewer turnovers so that evens out) and Hakeem still blocked 0.5 more shots.

So I think we can agree that Hakeem was defintley the better scorer, Duncan was the better passer(something I said even before adjusting the numbers, Hakeem was the better shot blocker and better at getting steals while Duncan in his overall prime as a player was a better rebounder than Hakeem was in his overall prime as a player. But in Hakeem's rebounding prime('89-'91) he averaged 13.5, 14 and 13.8 rebounds respectively leading the league 2 times and Duncan's rebounding numbers adjusted for pace likely wouldn't be higher than that. So in their rebounding primes, Olajuwon was atleast as good of a rebounder as Duncan.

And as far as scoring even Duncan's adjusted 26.7 scoring average would fall short of 3 of Olajuwon's seasons including his '96 season when he played at a slower pace than any of the previous seasons(which also backs up my point about pace having very little to do with individual scoring).
    Just admit I was right.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    Just admit I was right.
    Why would I say that? You're wrong so I'd be wrong to say you're right.

And I can't stop laughing at the poster who said Robinson was better than Hakeem in his prime. 1993-1995 Hakeem played at a level easil higher than Robinson in his prime(which happened to be about the same time). But then again I think it's the same poster who said that John Stockton was better than Magic Johnson.

Great college starter

Why would I say that? You're wrong so I'd be wrong to say you're right.

And I can't stop laughing at the poster who said Robinson was better than Hakeem in his prime. 1993-1995 Hakeem played at a level easil higher than Robinson in his prime(which happened to be about the same time). But then again I think it's the same poster who said that John Stockton was better than Magic Johnson.
    Hakeem will always be better than DROB because of that 95 WCF. They were pretty even before that. Hakeem had already scored 40 on Robinson before that series so it wasn't a surprise to me that Hakeem did it. Robinson would still attack Hakeem and come through. He'd make his presence felt even if Hakeem had a better game. In the WCF Robinson just vanished. Hakeem out played him in 4 games of that series really bad. And all Robinson did was fumble balls and lose his knees under him all series long. That tells me it wasn't really Hakeem abusing him. The spotlight and pressure did him in. He just crumbled. In most of those plays that DROB turned the ball over Hakeem was nowhere near him.

Duncan > Hakeem = Shaq > Robinson.

People underrate Hakeem when they say Shaq and Robinson were better than him, but they overrate him when people say he was better than Duncan, or that he is #5-7 on the All-Time List.

Their is a reason why he had to wait for Magic, Bird and Jordan to all leave the NBA before he could starting winning Championships.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by JustinJDW
    Duncan > Hakeem = Shaq > Robinson.

People underrate Hakeem when they say Shaq and Robinson were better than him, but they overrate him when people say he was better than Duncan, or that he is #5-7 on the All-Time List.

Their is a reason why he had to wait for Magic, Bird and Jordan to all leave the NBA before he could starting winning Championships.
    Oh god, now Duncan is better than Shaq? This really is a "what have you done for me lately" message board. Shaq was obviously better than Duncan. No doubt about it. Hakeem was also defintley better than Tim.

Duncan gets overrated by Spurs fans. It's ridiculous that some actually think he's better than Shaq? . Individual stats easily go to Shaq, peak easily goes to Shaq, Team success is about even, longevity goes to Shaq so far and impact on the league goes to Shaq. So, how was Duncan better again?

Great college starter

Oh god, now Duncan is better than Shaq? This really is a "what have you done for me lately" message board. Shaq was obviously better than Duncan. No doubt about it. Hakeem was also defintley better than Tim.

Duncan gets overrated by Spurs fans. It's ridiculous that some actually think he's better than Shaq? . Individual stats easily go to Shaq, peak easily goes to Shaq, Team success is about even, longevity goes to Shaq so far and impact on the league goes to Shaq. So, how was Duncan better again?
    Shaq played for the Lakers. Put Duncan on the Lakers from 98 to 04. Tell me he wouldn't be more known.
    It's funny how Shaq has called it the Duncan/Shaq era. But a fanboy like yourself still says Shaq>Duncan.

7-time NBA All-Star

Shaq played for the Lakers. Put Duncan on the Lakers from 98 to 04. Tell me he wouldn't be more known.
    It's funny how Shaq has called it the Duncan/Shaq era. But a fanboy like yourself still says Shaq>Duncan.
    Yes it is the Shaq/Duncan era because Shaq was much older when the era started. We saw his peak(2000 and 2001) which blew Duncan's peak away as well as some great elite years until 2005, but Shaq was 33 by that time and declining. So this era is equally Shaq and Duncan's as a result with Shaq owning the earlier part of the decade and Duncan dominating the later years. But if you factor in Shaq's accomplishments before Duncan came into the league then these 2 aren't even close.

We all know that Duncan has never been at 2000 or 2001 Shaq's level, but compare Shaq in his 13th season when he nearly won an MVP to Duncan this year in his 12th season last year, it's not even close. Shaq has a much better peak and as of now, Duncan isn't matching Shaq's longevity.

Tim Duncan as of RIGHT NOW, is placed higher on the All-Time List, in my opinion of course. You disagree with this?

If somebody wins a 5th Ring, things will be different.

Local High School Star CB4GOATPF's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    1989 Drob was an NBA Rookie while Hakeem was at his prime.

Even then, head to head from 1989-1996, Drob won 20 games shooting 48% while Hakeem only won 12 games while shooting only 44%.

Robinson > Olajuwon.

He was a rookie but he had plenty of [COLOR="Blue"]Olympic Experience against some Props (including getting owned by 8 month older NON INJURED SABONIS)[/COLOR] and was

[COLOR="Blue"]Already Age 24 as a Rookie in 1989[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]That`s pretty late for a late 80s and early 90 drated player[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Then again Hakeem was 33 years old plus the 1995-96 ....that is Past Prime[/COLOR]

So The Ideal Head to Head Matchups are The Following

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Hakeem ages: 27-32/33 (1989-90 to 1994-95) or if you want just to give D-Rob some advantage do it even for Hakeem Past Prime age 33 (1 year past prime in 1995-96)[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Robinson ages: 24-30 (19809-90 to 1995-96): till the 1995-96 seaon because in the 1996-97 season Robinson suffered a big injury and neveer played the same offensive game past that.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Evaluate the Head to Head Matchups From the 1989-90 to 1995-96 Season and then tell me Who Was The Better Player...[/COLOR]

Next...
    Last edited by CB4GOATPF; 10-14-2009 at 07:20 PM.

No Robinson was not better than Hakeem at all...easy to forget the asskicking Hakeem gave David in the playoffs when Robinson won MVP.

Great college starter

The only big man I can say Duncan can't be ranked of is KAJ.
    KAJ>Duncan>Shaq>Hakeem>DROB>Ewing>Wilt>the rest

The only big man I can say Duncan can't be ranked of is KAJ.
    KAJ>Duncan>Shaq>Hakeem>DROB>Ewing>Wilt>the rest
    Why Wilt so low?

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Why Wilt so low?
    He played against High School Math Teachers.