Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: This decade is NBA at its finest, better than 80s, 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnchorman
    He's not RG, judging from his previous posts. FinalCountdown would be more like RG than KG5MVP is, even though I'm not sure whether it is him or not.
    Yes he is.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by branslowski
    80's/90's Had better C/F....And possibly PG..(Although, I think 00' have better PG)

But its no debate on which era had/has the Better shooting Gaurds...00'
    Magic, Stockton, K. Johnson, Anfernee, Tim, Rod, Price, Payton, Kidd.

Save for a peaked Nets Kidd & '00 Payton (both of whom overlap) who can possibly be deemed fit to carry the jockstrap of the above point guards?

Local High School Star

This decade has been pretty bad until the last couple years. The West was great, but the East was so bad, with teams like the Nets, Pistons and 76ers making it to the finals. Things have been evening out with Shaq winning with the Heat, KG winning with the Celtics, LeBron emerging as maybe the best player in the game and making the finals, Howard emerging as a potentially dominant center and making the finals. There are now 3-5 very very good teams, with many of last year's best teams getting better this year, and with many of the league's best players on the most competitive teams (which wasn't always the case this decade). The past couple years, and potentially the next however many years, has the potential to go down as a great era in the NBA, but the decade can never be considered a great one because of how imbalanced the league was in the first part of decade and how few arguably great teams existed then as well (the Spurs and the Shaq lakers were really it - the Suns, Mavs, and Kings were interesting teams but too flawed to be considered anywhere near great).

Quote Originally Posted by KG5MVP
    No other decades have had so much superstars and spectacular players as the 2000s:

Shaquille O'neal - Goat center?
    Tim Duncan - Goat PF?
    Dirk Nowitzki - one of the best PF's ever
    Kobe Bryant - second best SG ever
    Wade - MJ's true successer?
    Kevin Garnett - also one of the best PF's ever
    Chris Paul - really really good PG
    Steve Nash - one of the best PG's in history
    Jason Kidd - also oneof the best PG's in history
    Lebron James - Goat SF?
    and so much more

plz stop saying the 80s or 90s were better, the 2000s truly is the golden era of NBA, no other decades have had so much talent
    90's was the only decade where a top 2-3 player in the league won mvp and/finals mvp every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Magic, Stockton, K. Johnson, Anfernee, Tim, Rod, Price, Payton, Kidd.

Save for a peaked Nets Kidd & '00 Payton (both of whom overlap) who can possibly be deemed fit to carry the jockstrap of the above point guards?
    Chauncey Billups, CP3, Deron Williams, Nash, Tony Parker

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit
    You really backed up your opinion.
    Basketball is not only hitting jumpshots.

The average player nowadays is much more athletic than in earlier eras.
    Since when does athleticism translate into being a better basketball player?

And this notion that players are MUCH MORE athletic today then the 90's is absolutely ridiculous.

There are no SG's today that were as athletic as Jordan and Wilkin's.

Find me a list of centers that can rival Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq, or Ewing in today's league. Yes, Oneal's athletic prime was indeed the 90's, I think people forget this.

I am tired of people repeating what they have read online about the superior athleticism and then giving no examples at all. Where is this superior athleticism? The more I look back at the great players of the 80's and 90's, the more I realize how much they are being undervalued by kids today who never get to see them play.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

The players that came out of this decade have potential. CP3, Wade, LeBron, Howard, and the rest of the new players have potential to make things interesting for the next 10 years. Hopefully we'll get more players that'll make things more exciting.

The 00s were ok, but there the teams didn't really start to get really good until the end of 00. After MJ left the league, the east side was crippled until the late 00s. They were some good teams like 04-08 Detroit and 05 Heat, but they never really start to get good until recently. The west side is where everything went down.

We did get some interesting things in 00s in individual traits, but it was a disappointment since some top players never achieve their potential. 09+ is looking very promising though if they can grasp the fundamentals of basketball, skill, and teamwork.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Shaquille O'neal - Goat center? - Has spent nearly 50% of his career in the 90s.. where he competed against robinson and olajuwon
    Tim Duncan - Goat PF? - Fair enough
    Dirk Nowitzki - one of the best PF's ever - No better than Barkley or Karl Malone
    Kobe Bryant - second best SG ever - And the best ever was in the 90s..
    Wade - MJ's true successer? - like 90s Penny and Grant Hill..?
    Kevin Garnett - also one of the best PF's ever ^Same as Dirk
    Chris Paul - really really good PG |
    Steve Nash - one of the best PG's in history |---- Gary Payton, John Stockton and Isiah Thomas
    Jason Kidd - also oneof the best PG's in history |
    Lebron James - Goat SF? - Compared to 90s, probably. Ever, no.
    and so much more

90s had as much talent in all positions. and MUCH more at center.

The 00's has had a lot more depth at PG, SG, and PF than any other era (SG is arguable the others aren't really). The only era that really can compare is the 90's, but the 10's are where I think we will see the best basketball of all time.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

While I believe we are entering a new resurging era of basketball glory:

The OP is dumb. This in no way compares to the 80's. And the 90's were prob better.

Banned

90's
    80's
    60's
    00's
    70's
    That is the order, though the late thousands>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>early thousands

It has the potential to be, but I would really like the NBA to get rid of the Defensive 3-second rule.
    Last edited by Junny; 10-26-2009 at 02:35 AM.

Local High School Star CB4GOATPF's Avatar

This maybe the worst Post of All Time

The Only Thing I See the 2000s as Having Better at Average than Decades Before are:

1-Average Athleticism for Mostly Role and Bench Players
    2-Three Point Shooting

In The Rest of: Areass, Level of Skills, Level Positions, Level of Superstars, Level of Teams, Level of Role Players etc...Its Nothing Like the 80s and 90s

1) 1980s owns All Decades

2) 1990s
    3) Mid 1960s to Mid 70s

4) 2000s and Late 1970s about Equal
    5) Early 1960s
    6) 1950s

Yes Infact the 80s was the Bet Decade for Man Things not Just Basketball

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by CB4GOATPF
    The Only Thing I See the 2000s as Having Better at Average than Decades Before are:

1-Average Athleticism for Mostly Role and Bench Players
    2-Three Point Shooting

In The Rest of: Areass, Level of Skills, Level Positions, Level of Superstars, Level of Teams, Level of Role Players etc...Its Nothing Like the 80s and 90s
    Defense? I agree the 80s was a more intriguing decade for the NBA, but that is in part because really good defense hurts the game a little. A lot more interesting things can happen in college football compared to the NFL for that reason as well (even though most people prefer the NFL because pro sports are just generally easier and more interesting to follow).

The biggest reason why the NBA was so great in the 80s wasn't that players themselves were better or because offensive fundamentals were better or even that defense wasn't a central focus, but that players were distributed nearly perfectly over the decade. It allowed for the existence of several stacked teams every year, with the best teams generally performing well in the playoffs making it to the finals, and with slow declines of the great teams and the gradual emergence of other great teams.

The 90's are certainly not very comparable, with only 1 truly dominant team in the 2nd half of the decade (not to mention the final year of the decade which was one of the most seasons years in NBA history). The second tier teams were at least intriguing throughout the decade though, as some of the best players of all time were finishing their effective careers with them.

The 00's were even worse for most of the decade (though I still enjoyed it) with the only two arguably dominant teams coming from the West and somehow never great at the same time, and with the East constantly sending chumps to the finals like the Nets, Pistons, and 76ers (the fact that the Pistons beat that goofy Malone/Payton Lakers teams only makes that part of the decade worse). But the last couple years (and this year seems like it could be better) have been pretty intriguing, getting the NBA into the kind of balance that makes it the best league in all of sports (a place the NBA has not been since the early 90s.

Decent college freshman Silverbullit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathon1121
    Since when does athleticism translate into being a better basketball player?

And this notion that players are MUCH MORE athletic today then the 90's is absolutely ridiculous.

There are no SG's today that were as athletic as Jordan and Wilkin's.

Find me a list of centers that can rival Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq, or Ewing in today's league. Yes, Oneal's athletic prime was indeed the 90's, I think people forget this.

I am tired of people repeating what they have read online about the superior athleticism and then giving no examples at all. Where is this superior athleticism? The more I look back at the great players of the 80's and 90's, the more I realize how much they are being undervalued by kids today who never get to see them play.
    Do you consider Jordan, Wilkin, Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq or Ewing "average NBA players"?