Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: BIG TIME REGULAR NEWS: Celtics give Rondo $55 million extension

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    So the thread is pretty much exactly what i said? People freaking that we supposedly gave him 11mill a year?
    Read from page 16.
    You believe what you wanna believe,like i said,if you think Mop head is worth 7 million per then Rondo is worth 11 million per.

Local High School Star

55 Million is a fine price to pay, whether it is incentive-laden or not. He is certainly in the argument for 3rd best point guard in the league right now (no worse than 6 or 7), and he has room for improvement (shooting).

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by west
    Read from page 16.
    You believe what you wanna believe,like i said,if you think Mop head is worth 7 million per then Rondo is worth 11 million per.

After page 16 the only ppl complaining are non cavs fans. I never said Rondo was overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    After page 16 the only ppl complaining are non cavs fans. I never said Rondo was overpaid.
    /thread.

from celticsblog.com

I couldn't be happier for the guy and for the team. I understand the value of getting the lowest contract terms possible to build a team within the financial constraints of the salary cap and all that. But at the end of the day, the sides were just a few million apart and it seems like the Celtics decided to pay the extra 5 million or so to get it done. Hats off to Bill Duffy who did his client well.

I think that Rondo has proven that he's a very competitive player and that he'll work hard to continue improving and pushing for another championship, despite the fact that he's now set for life (provided he doesn't follow Antoine's lead).

Considering the market for other players, I'd say the deal was pretty fair.

"Rondo's new deal averages $11 million a season, the same amount San Antonio Spurs All-Star point guard Tony Parker earned when he signed a six-year, $66 million extension to his rookie contract in 2004. Among members of Rondo's 2006 rookie class, Portland Trail Blazers All-Star guard Brandon Roy received a five-year, $80 million contract extension. The Blazers also gave forward LaMarcus Aldridge a five-year, $65 million extension."

And if the Celtics overpaid by $5M to get it done, that's worth it to me considering the fact that there was always that risk that he would have gotten a max offer on the (restricted) open market next year. Sure, some restricted free agents have mostly been getting less money in the market this year, but that doesn't mean next year will be the same (especially with the new collective bargaining agreement coming up). By locking Rondo up, the Celtics managed their risk.

Rondo is one of the best point guards in the game and he's a critical piece to the championship hopes of this current core group of veterans. Of course (Lord willing) he'll be playing long after this group retires and for the Celtics he represents a critical building block for the future. As long as Perk's body holds up, we've got a solid center and a top notch point guard to build a team around.

This move also appears to lock the Celtics into a strategy that does not involve being players in the free agent market next year (except with the MLE). It also might make them more willing to take on short term salary via trade in order to upgrade the talent level of the team for the next 2 to 3 years. Hopefully it also marks the end of the Rondo trade rumors as well (at least for the near future).

As a big Rondo fan, I've got a big smile on my face today. As a Celtics fan, I can only hope that whatever maturity issues he's had in the past remain in the past. It worked for Paul Pierce and it could work for Rondo. I hope they are both Celtics for life.
    Putting things into perspective, of all the high dollar figure extensions this year given to those who were in their rookie contracts, Rondo is getting paid:

$1 million more a year than Andrea Bargnani
    $2 million less a year than Lamarcus Aldridge
    $5 million less a year than Brandon Roy

I think it's fair, if not a very good deal for the Celts.

Overpaid? Rondo is a very good player. This is a fair contract.

Local High School Star lukekarts's Avatar

Default Re: Celtics give Rajon Rondo $55 million extension

Listen guys, this is definitely a fair price, especially when you consider:

Non-Rookie Point Guards by annual salary (average):

1. Gilbert Arenas - $19m
    2. Chris Paul - $15.6m
    3. Deron Williams - $15.6m
    4. Baron Davis - $13.5m
    5. Chauncey Billups - $13m
    6. Steven Nash - $11m
    7. Rajon Rondo - $11m
    8. Monta Ellis $11m
    9. Jose Calderon - $9.6m
    10. Kirk Hinrich - $9m
    11. Devin Harris - $8.8m
    12. Mo Williams - $8.8m
    13. Jason Kidd - $8.5m
    14. TJ Ford - $8,5m
    15. Jameer Nelson - $7m
    16. Beno Udrih - $7m
    17. Andre Miller - $6.5m
    18. Mike Bibby - $6m
    19. Chris Duhon - $6m
    20. Derek Fisher - $5m

Basically, he'll become the 7th best Point Guard in the NBA. Of those above him, 4 are significantly older, and only 4 are significantly better. Below him, I very much doubt the Celtics would rather have any other point guard. The only debatable ones would be Devin Harris and Jameer Nelson, but neither are defensive experts or as good at passing. Kidd may be a better passer, but when you consider he's closer to 40 than Rondo is to 30, you can see why he's getting paid.

A fair price for one of the best young point guards in the NBA today.

He is a border line top 5 PG currently probably around 7th so I think it falls withing an adequate price range.

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

This dude averages 6.5/5/11.8

People think that assist number will hold up for a whole season?

Dude is a 11/6/9 player AT BEST.

At best.

So that's worth 11 mill a year?

Are you f*cking kidding me. Dude just signed an extension for f*cking 11 mill a year. LMAO.

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

Rondo just caled this extension based on ONE THING.

His series against Chicago. A Chicago team that had a putrid frontline.

Lol @ the idiocy being displayed in this thread. Teams don't gameplan for Rajon Rondo. You dont pay 11 mill a year to a player that teams don't gameplan for.

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    This dude averages 6.5/5/11.8

People think that assist number will hold up for a whole season?

Dude is a 11/6/9 player AT BEST.

At best.

So that's worth 11 mill a year?

Are you f*cking kidding me. Dude just signed an extension for f*cking 11 mill a year. LMAO.
    11/6/9 is what he got last year as a 3rd year PG I doubt that he doesn't improve more then that here on out.

Rondo doesnt make that many mistakes and does a lot things that wont reflect on the stat sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    Lol @ the idiocy being displayed in this thread.
    And almost all of it is coming from you.

How you fail to see Rondo's value is mind blowing. He's not going to score 20 a game, so what! Boston has 3 other guys who can do that and two others who are good for around 15 a game. Rondo also gets 1-3 steals a game, and seems to come down with several timely offensive boards each game. He runs the Celtic offense very nicely, and like it's been pointed out on here, he's probably in the 5-7 range as far as PG ranks go in the NBA, and he's being paid as the 5th-7th best PG in the league. He's also considerably younger than some of the guys that are getting paid more than him, has already won a championship, and does nothing but show improvement each year.

I can't believe you continue to get on here and make yourself look this insanely foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthKGRay3412
    There is only 2 PG's in the NBA i'd rather have running the Celtics for 5 years rather than Rondo and that's CP3 and Chris Paul.
    Actually my list is 4 long: Chris Paul, CP3, Mr. Christopher Emmanuel Paul, and the black dude that plays for the Hornets.

Banned

I hope they won't regret this when the big three are gone. IMO he's not good enough to be first or second option for a contender.