Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Iverson :: It's going be hard to see eye to eye with the coach

Quote Originally Posted by BRabbiT
    That's a valid argument. But, AI has his mind made up, and that's immature.

He was a rookie once. He really can't grasp the significance of other young players developing their skills?

He's on MEM for a reason. His skill set didn't benefit the last two contenders he played for.
    There are alot of pro athletes who feel they are still starters material. And allowing a rookie/prospect to develop in front of them? Isnt an option. If Derrick Rose was in front of Allen Iverson would AI react the same? Probably, I dont know. Only then would I agree that you're not gonna unseat the youngin because you were in his shoes upon entering the league. But Mike Conley? The way he is playing the coach might have no choice but to bench him. Mike is not a prospect you swallow pride and allow to develop while sitting on the bench. Sorry. Derrick Rose? Yeah.

I dont know if AI is immature. I can see where he is coming from tho. He definately didnt sign with Memphis to sit on the bench thats for sure. He made that very clear in the press conference ontop of his goals this season with the Grizzlies. You can argue yourself he is stubborn to think him starting will help Grizzlies win. But he is confident in his abilities that he does give them a chance. I cant really knock his confidence whether you agree or disagree. People call him selfish but all he talks about is winning. And not being satisfied with just making the playoffs.

Well i guess if the Grizzlies and/or thier fans wanted national exposure? They are getting it because it damn sure isnt coming from tv.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Right, but Miller has no range and isn't a good defender. Billups is more of a passer than AI but far from a prototypical PG. Now how about Detroit? And why were there no contenders waiting to sign him? Or any other teams for that matter?
    Chances are other teams couldnt promise he would be the starter/see significant minutes. I heard Miami had an interest but just my assumption having not looked into the report. He didnt end up there because Riley said Mario Chalmers wouldnt lose his job if you were added. Thus AI was turned off by it. Could be the theme with most contenders. Cant think of one that needs AI. Boston? Orlando? Clevland? L.A? Dallas? S.A?

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0l3CB_oTo

He explained what he felt he was coming to Memphis for. He explains the way he thinks which differs from most people. Opening question "AI what are your expectations with the Grizzlies?" and his reply? To win, simple as that. He goes on to say when people talk about the Grizzlies that they claim just getting to the playoffs is enough/a successful season. AI way of thinkin is he wouldnt have signed there if he felt that way. Sign there just to make the playoffs and be satisfied. His goals are alot bigger.

He doesnt want to come off the bench.
    He doesnt want to be a role player.
    He doesnt want to sit and watch critical moments in a game.

Why? Because AI full of pride feels at 34 he is capable of being a starter and helping a team win. He doesnt feel he is at a point where he needs to take on a "role" isolated to 1 thing and be utilized whenever a situation calls for it. He doesnt want to come off the bench various times in a game. He wants to start. He wants to win. Fans dont get that because you have your minds made up what kind of player AI is. Just like when he was 26 and some said by 30-31 he will be a shell of himself. They were proven wrong. Now at 34, AI is nothing more than Bobby Jackson. AI has lost some speed because he doesnt get to the lane/basket as quick as he used too thus drawing contact/fouls. And defensively cant recover vs quicker PGs. But he isnt going to watch Ray Allen start at SG and he come off the bench in spot duty or whenever the coach decides to put him in.

While fans can disagree with AI feelings. Atleast acknowledge and understand where he is coming from. You guys FAIL to do that. He Philly on bad terms avg 43mpg. He went to Denver and STARTED avg 42mpg 25ppg 7ast 3rb and was efficient doing something alot of whiny bball fans knock him for. Following season in Denver he STARTED every game (82 out of 82) avg 42mpg 26ppg 7apg 3rbs and was efficient doing something alot of whiny bball fans knock him for. Now keep in mind AI was 31 and 32yrs old. He's 34yrs old now.

Are you with me? You take those numbers across the board and ask yourself. As a reasonable fan can I expect a guy whose been a starter his entire career avg over 40mpg that recently his stint in Denver produced that to suddenly become a role player and take on a specific "role"? Can I see any starting player in the NBA today suddenly taking over such a role overnight? You guys severely underestimate the pride these guys have. And saying AI should just swallow his pride after i laid out what he just did? Its comical to say the least. I doubt you in his shoes would be so willing to become a damn role player off the bench.

But I know I know everyone is Mr. Rogers and its a beautiful day in the neighborhood right? Lets atleast be realistic. You dont have to agree with every word AI says but atleast when you speak on the dude say "I understand where he is coming from". Alot of people dont, some do and just dont like the guy so they refuse to acknowledge it. I dont think Kobe Bryant at 34 would EVER come off the damn bench. I dont think Kobe Bryant at 34 would ever be a role player. I know I knoqw, Kobe at 34 wouldnt have lost ANYTHING. I dont even see Kobe at 36 accepting a similar role (not a starter, off the bench pick a role Bean). And some fans would probably side with Kobe. Why? Because in thier eyes he hasnt lost anything. Bias? Telling the truth? Anyones guess.

I'm sure someones counter is Kobe helps teams win at 34, 36yrs of age whereas AI is a cancer no one found a cure for and hurts teams. Gotcha. I got all that. Just like I got when AI at 31 would be a shell of himself some fans said (they faces are on milk cartons).

You're not gonna find many players in the NBA swallowing thier pride. I bet you Ray Allen would not sit with his hands folded on the Memphis bench. I bet you Vince Carter wouldnt. Mike Bibby wouldnt. Andre Miller wouldnt. Yanno Mr. Team player, makes everyone better. Yeah him. He's not coming off the bench nor is he finding a "role" while sitting on it either. Baron Davis wouldnt allow the Clippers to let him come off the bench nor would he on Memphis. I mean why cant you sell Baron the idea that since 04-05 season he has played more than 68gms 1 time? how about you point him to the nearest injury report and how his name dominates it? Leads the league in hurts. So coming off the bench to preserve himself would be a nice idea. Even play some SG because well Baron your efficiency has been shyt.

Or how about Wash coming to Gilbert and saying we win with you not starting. The unit looks cohesive and it ball movement is seen. So you can be our 6th man. Yeah Gilbert would totally eat that up.

But im willing to bet fans here can give an argument to why those names i listed have a valid gripe. But cant understand why AI has issues with becoming a role player in Memphis. It cant be Mike Conley a player not better than AI is starting over him? A guy taken so high in the draft my noe is currently bleeding. Yet he has proven what? To give fantasy owners pts near seasons end? Whoa!

Wake up.
    I dont care about what type of player Iverson used to be, or what type of player he thinks he is, none of that matters now.

Bottom line: He signed with the ONLY team that expressed ANY interest in him, a team full of youngsters that only won 25 games last season. Anybody with half a brain knows memphis was not going to win many games this season. AI should have talked with coaches and staff at memphis about his future role and the goals of the team if he has such a big problem with being anything other than "the man". After what happened last season in detroit he should have explicitly said im not signing unless I can be a starter, instead of signing and then acting like a spoiled brat the moment he is told he is coming off the bench.

Decent college freshman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0l3CB_oTo

He explained what he felt he was coming to Memphis for. He explains the way he thinks which differs from most people. Opening question "AI what are your expectations with the Grizzlies?" and his reply? To win, simple as that. He goes on to say when people talk about the Grizzlies that they claim just getting to the playoffs is enough/a successful season. AI way of thinkin is he wouldnt have signed there if he felt that way. Sign there just to make the playoffs and be satisfied. His goals are alot bigger.

He doesnt want to come off the bench.
    He doesnt want to be a role player.
    He doesnt want to sit and watch critical moments in a game.

Why? Because AI full of pride feels at 34 he is capable of being a starter and helping a team win. He doesnt feel he is at a point where he needs to take on a "role" isolated to 1 thing and be utilized whenever a situation calls for it. He doesnt want to come off the bench various times in a game. He wants to start. He wants to win. Fans dont get that because you have your minds made up what kind of player AI is. Just like when he was 26 and some said by 30-31 he will be a shell of himself. They were proven wrong. Now at 34, AI is nothing more than Bobby Jackson. AI has lost some speed because he doesnt get to the lane/basket as quick as he used too thus drawing contact/fouls. And defensively cant recover vs quicker PGs. But he isnt going to watch Ray Allen start at SG and he come off the bench in spot duty or whenever the coach decides to put him in.

While fans can disagree with AI feelings. Atleast acknowledge and understand where he is coming from. You guys FAIL to do that. He Philly on bad terms avg 43mpg. He went to Denver and STARTED avg 42mpg 25ppg 7ast 3rb and was efficient doing something alot of whiny bball fans knock him for. Following season in Denver he STARTED every game (82 out of 82) avg 42mpg 26ppg 7apg 3rbs and was efficient doing something alot of whiny bball fans knock him for. Now keep in mind AI was 31 and 32yrs old. He's 34yrs old now.

Are you with me? You take those numbers across the board and ask yourself. As a reasonable fan can I expect a guy whose been a starter his entire career avg over 40mpg that recently his stint in Denver produced that to suddenly become a role player and take on a specific "role"? Can I see any starting player in the NBA today suddenly taking over such a role overnight? You guys severely underestimate the pride these guys have. And saying AI should just swallow his pride after i laid out what he just did? Its comical to say the least. I doubt you in his shoes would be so willing to become a damn role player off the bench.

But I know I know everyone is Mr. Rogers and its a beautiful day in the neighborhood right? Lets atleast be realistic. You dont have to agree with every word AI says but atleast when you speak on the dude say "I understand where he is coming from". Alot of people dont, some do and just dont like the guy so they refuse to acknowledge it. I dont think Kobe Bryant at 34 would EVER come off the damn bench. I dont think Kobe Bryant at 34 would ever be a role player. I know I knoqw, Kobe at 34 wouldnt have lost ANYTHING. I dont even see Kobe at 36 accepting a similar role (not a starter, off the bench pick a role Bean). And some fans would probably side with Kobe. Why? Because in thier eyes he hasnt lost anything. Bias? Telling the truth? Anyones guess.

I'm sure someones counter is Kobe helps teams win at 34, 36yrs of age whereas AI is a cancer no one found a cure for and hurts teams. Gotcha. I got all that. Just like I got when AI at 31 would be a shell of himself some fans said (they faces are on milk cartons).

You're not gonna find many players in the NBA swallowing thier pride. I bet you Ray Allen would not sit with his hands folded on the Memphis bench. I bet you Vince Carter wouldnt. Mike Bibby wouldnt. Andre Miller wouldnt. Yanno Mr. Team player, makes everyone better. Yeah him. He's not coming off the bench nor is he finding a "role" while sitting on it either. Baron Davis wouldnt allow the Clippers to let him come off the bench nor would he on Memphis. I mean why cant you sell Baron the idea that since 04-05 season he has played more than 68gms 1 time? how about you point him to the nearest injury report and how his name dominates it? Leads the league in hurts. So coming off the bench to preserve himself would be a nice idea. Even play some SG because well Baron your efficiency has been shyt.

Or how about Wash coming to Gilbert and saying we win with you not starting. The unit looks cohesive and it ball movement is seen. So you can be our 6th man. Yeah Gilbert would totally eat that up.

But im willing to bet fans here can give an argument to why those names i listed have a valid gripe. But cant understand why AI has issues with becoming a role player in Memphis. It cant be Mike Conley a player not better than AI is starting over him? A guy taken so high in the draft my noe is currently bleeding. Yet he has proven what? To give fantasy owners pts near seasons end? Whoa!

Wake up.
    Iverson can still play at a high level, there is no question about that. But in case you forgot, Iverson was a free-agent this summer. He could have signed with any team in the league. He could have gone to a contender to try and compete for a championship. However, there was one problem, few teams showed interest in him. Not only did teams not want him starting on their roster, but they didn't even want him playing on their roster. Why is that?

Out of all those guys you mentioned, most of them can find starting positions on differen't teams around the league. Iverson has shown this summer, that he can't do that. That alone should have changed his attitude, but it didn't. The guy is a scorer, plain and simple. He is not a leader, team-player, or defender. Coming off the bench makes sense for him. That is only reason I truly believe he needs to shut his mouth, and stop complaining.

Guys that could be starters, but have put their ego aside to come off the bench:
    Ben Gordon
    Manu Ginobili
    Jason Terry
    Rasheed Wallace
    Lamar Odom

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    I dont care about what type of player Iverson used to be, or what type of player he thinks he is, none of that matters now.

Bottom line: He signed with the ONLY team that expressed ANY interest in him, a team full of youngsters that only won 25 games last season. Anybody with half a brain knows memphis was not going to win many games this season. AI should have talked with coaches and staff at memphis about his future role and the goals of the team if he has such a big problem with being anything other than "the man". After what happened last season in detroit he should have explicitly said im not signing unless I can be a starter, instead of signing and then acting like a spoiled brat the moment he is told he is coming off the bench.
    All of it matters. The fact you choose to ignore it makes you no different than AI refusing to take a role while finding a seat on the bench. The irony.

Bottomline is you say anyone with half a brain knows Memphis wont win as many games this season. Thats why you're a FAN and he is a PROFESSIONAL basketball player. AI doesnt think like you do. Obviously you didnt watch the press conference. You sit and predict what will happen. Some of these guys dont do that.

And i have no clue what was said in negotiations with AI being added. Memphis had a reason for bringing him in. AI is wrong for putting this into the media knowing they are sharks lookin for the taste of blood. If he is guilty of anything its not keeping his comments to himself. I cant defend him for going to the media to vent not once but twice. He's dead wrong for that.

But it seems like he is the only person that cares about winning in Memphis. Perhaps he chose the wrong destination. Thought he was coming to a team that wanted to win. Wasnt content with losing nor predicting "We arent gonna win close to what we did last year.".

Banned

Iverson, shut up and do your damn job. You should be glad you are getting paid millions to play a ****in game while others are not so fortunate. And what do seriously expect being on the grizzlies? a championship? just do your job, get your check, and stfu like the rest of em'

AI should of just gone to the Bobcats. OJ Mayo is a superstar in the making and having Iverson would just mess up his growth

All of it matters. The fact you choose to ignore it makes you no different than AI refusing to take a role while finding a seat on the bench. The irony.

Bottomline is you say anyone with half a brain knows Memphis wont win as many games this season. Thats why you're a FAN and he is a PROFESSIONAL basketball player. AI doesnt think like you do. Obviously you didnt watch the press conference. You sit and predict what will happen. Some of these guys dont do that.

And i have no clue what was said in negotiations with AI being added. Memphis had a reason for bringing him in. AI is wrong for putting this into the media knowing they are sharks lookin for the taste of blood. If he is guilty of anything its not keeping his comments to himself. I cant defend him for going to the media to vent not once but twice. He's dead wrong for that.

But it seems like he is the only person that cares about winning in Memphis. Perhaps he chose the wrong destination. Thought he was coming to a team that wanted to win. Wasnt content with losing nor predicting "We arent gonna win close to what we did last year.".
    Like I said before, NONE OF THAT MATTERS. Bottom line, only one team in the NBA expressed any interest in signing AI this season. AI should have talked with team officials about his future role and the goals of the team if he feels so adamantly that things have to be his way.

Having watched every Memphis game possible so far, I can tell you why he is a role player.

1. He is a defensive liabilty - even worse than Mayo.
    2. On offense he is way too ball dominant.
    3. Is he good at pinch hitting... some instant offence.

Mayo is the SG here - and he is better than AI right now. AI fans need to grasp this. Conley runs an offence, and tries to set the tone and get Mayo, Gay, Z-bo and Gasol shots. AI does not do that when he plays atm.

Someone mentioned Allen, Carter wouldn't come off the bench at Memphis? I don't know how you make that judgement. Neither have the long history of AI publically calling out the coach. Dude thinks he is always hard done by. Proof is there.

Coach > Player. Respect the leadership. Play your role and play it hard. Play within team concept. Earn more mins the right way. Mature as a player.
    Last edited by G-train; 11-07-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Chances are other teams couldnt promise he would be the starter/see significant minutes. I heard Miami had an interest but just my assumption having not looked into the report. He didnt end up there because Riley said Mario Chalmers wouldnt lose his job if you were added. Thus AI was turned off by it. Could be the theme with most contenders. Cant think of one that needs AI. Boston? Orlando? Clevland? L.A? Dallas? S.A?
    That's what I'm saying. It's not a knock on him, it's just that no teams feel like dealing with him, not at this stage in his career. He put up nice numbers in Denver but he wasn't a good fit. Denver is better without him. That's it. He's not really a good fit for a team unless that team is built specifically for him. Again that's not bad, it just the way it is with him. Some people change their game later in their career and transition into a different player. He didn't. Look at Larry Nance who relied largely on his athleticism when he was young but then later became a good shooter and really good all around player. With AI what you got in year three is basically what you get now and that doesn't seem like it's working for teams.

I am a Sixers fan. I think that he was great for them and he has been a great player. However, what he has done in the past doesn't give him the right to ***** and moan to the media about a couple of games when he's coming to a new team. He complains about his treatment by the media but yet instead of handling his problem internally he chooses to air the team's dirty laundry in the media. That is immature and only feeds into the existing negative perception of him. It makes him look like a petulant spoiled baby. It also seems hard to believe that he didn't think that they may have him come off the bench. He's talking out of both sides of his mouth. He says that he'll do anything for a championship but in the same breath says that he won't come off the bench. It seems like he has no respect for his coach and if that's the case he shouldn't have signed there. The problem is that he wasn't getting any real offers anywhere else so he took the only real offer he could get and it's gotten him nowhere quickly.

It's just sad to see the state of Iverson now.....I'm thinking he isn't gunna find what he is looking for in the NBA right now. Dude should just retire.

Someone mentioned Allen, Carter wouldn't come off the bench at Memphis? I don't know how you make that judgement. Neither have the long history of AI publically calling out the coach. Dude thinks he is always hard done by. Proof is there.
    Yeah Allen and Carter would have no issues coming off the bench.

Neither need to have history of calling out the coach. Both are productive starters in the NBA who at this point in thier careers dont feel they lack something to where they arent starting material. Neither would compromise if they were in Memphis.

The point is there are NBA players who in the same situation wouldnt accept coming off the bench/picking a role. I doubt you can get Shaq to come off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    Like I said before, NONE OF THAT MATTERS. Bottom line, only one team in the NBA expressed any interest in signing AI this season. AI should have talked with team officials about his future role and the goals of the team if he feels so adamantly that things have to be his way.
    Who knows if that was the case or not? Sorry Memphis fans cant accept a player with high expectations.

If anything doesnt matter its Memphis even have a damn basketball franchise. Thats the bottomline.

The point is there are NBA players who in the same situation wouldnt accept coming off the bench/picking a role. I doubt you can get Shaq to come off the bench.
    I don't thinks its a good point, as some vets accept it and others don't. It depends how mature and professional they are. Whenever a guy doesn't accept it, the people give the same response - shut up and play your role. Unless the player above them is a clearly worse player.
    Thats the problem - Conley is a better PG and Mayo is a better SG. Not in terms of individual ability. But they are in terms of effective team bball.
    Coach want 12 ppg in 25 mins - respect the coach and provide it. AI isn't the coach. He isn't making the decisions. He doesn't know whats best. Same applies for any player that thinks that they know whats best. They are there to play for the leadership.

And if Shaq played for Lakers/Magic/Rockets - he would come off the bench. He has matured and knows it isn't about him in his mid 30's. He understands that a team mentality wins games.