Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1017181920
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Allen Iverson takes leave from Grizzlies for personal issue. Will he return? Retire?

the coach is stupid for not even talking to AI. terrible coach

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Default Re: Allen Iverson takes leave from Grizzlies for personal issue. Will he return? Reti

Quote Originally Posted by spursdynasty420
    the coach is stupid for not even talking to AI. terrible coach
    The coach is terrible but isn't AI just as stupid for not talking to the coach? AI is the one with the problem. He claims he's a "grown man," so he should he act like one and be proactive about it and talk to the coach not go directly to the media.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: Allen Iverson takes leave from Grizzlies for personal issue. Will he return? Reti

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    The coach is terrible but isn't AI just as stupid for not talking to the coach? AI is the one with the problem. He claims he's a "grown man," so he should he act like one and be proactive about it and talk to the coach not go directly to the media.
    plus, this idea that the coach never talked to him is ludicrous. if you take his word for it, you are just as stupid as the "stupid coach". AI constantly spins the situation so he is the aggrieved victim.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: Allen Iverson takes leave from Grizzlies for personal issue. Will he return? Retire?

Iverson is to the NBA as Favre is to the NFL.

p.s. I love Iverson! and Favre!

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    plus, this idea that the coach never talked to him is ludicrous. if you take his word for it, you are just as stupid as the "stupid coach". AI constantly spins the situation so he is the aggrieved victim.
    There are many things in AI's version of this story that are very difficult to believe. First of all, the idea that the team would lie to him about the direction they are going in and the role they envisioned for him. Teams don't generally do that to players, because the fallout from something like that is much worse than telling the player the truth. If teams were run by 14-year olds who can't think in the long term, then maybe.

However, even if we assume that AI was lied to, how the hell do you believe something that? The Grizzlies were not going to make the playoffs in the West no matter what. The Grizzlies are also obviously very high on Mayo, and could anyone realistically believe that they were going to hinder his development to give a 34-year-old Iverson more playing time. Oh, and don't even try to bring up Conley. AI is NOT competing for a spot against Conley. He's competing against Mayo. Between Mayo, Gay, and Z-Bo, there are already enough players who need the ball to be effective. They need to have someone on the floor who will pass. Am I supposed to believe that Iverson was oblivious to all this?

Here's my interpretation of what actually went down. Obviously, I'm basing this only on what we as the public know about the situation. Remember that Iverson was not really spoiled for choice this off-season. As far as I recall, there was no substantial interest in him by any team other than the Grizzlies. He obviously didn't want to retire yet, and we all know he wanted to prove everyone wrong after the Detroit fiasco. The Grizzlies were probably fairly straight up with him. Having no other choice, Iverson signed with them, but we all know how big of an ego he has. It seems like he just ignored what was told to him, and just assumed that by hook or by crook, he's going to be the man on this team. He's either going to wow everyone with his play and force the team to be run around him, or that a young, inexperienced coach won't have the balls to bench him.