Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2229303132333435 ... LastLast

Default Re: How come Jennings decided to go off?

Its actually better for him to be a SCORER on the team. Other than Bogut who will he pass to? Ersan Ilyasova?? I think not. Bucks need scoring.

Banned

Default Re: you guys are selling B Jennings short!!!

rose is gonna be great, he;s playing hurt right now, so your not hearing a lot about him. With Jennings you get scoring and a lil playmaking, with rose your gettin a penetrating floor general.

Default Re: Brandon Jennings scores 55 points in Bucks win over Warriors!

Goes to show how easy it is for guards and wings to score in this era.

Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    I'm not going as far as the OP or even saying he's a top 30 or 40 player now. But, the guy is averaging 26/5 in his first month in the league. More impressively, to me, he took over his team within his first few NBA games. As rookie debuts go, this one is pretty good.

And there are rookies who have received MVP votes before, so it's not unprecedented. Regardless, he looks a lot more credible as "the next big thing" to me than Rose or any of the other supposed "next big things" that have come into the league recently.
    Of course it's not unprecedented. There have been plenty of good rookies who have come out and done great things right out of the gate. It hasn't been long since Chris Paul and Derron Williams came out, and I'd rate those two as the premier PGs in the league right now.

That doesn't make it any less silly to act like it's a foregone conclusion less than 10 games into the season. For all we know, the guy could settle into season averages of 13 and 3 by the end of the season. Lots of rookies come out of the gate hot. Teams who get these guys in the draft are usually in a position where they need those guys to produce right away, and they give them the ball and a long leash. The precedent for hot starts fizzling into OK production is a lot more established than the precedent for a guy coming into the league as a top 10 player.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

B Jennings is just crazy. I think he will be a top 5 player next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan21formvp
    Goes to show how easy it is for guards and wings to score in this era.
    Not really. Anyone can score 50 against the Warriors. Big men, guards, SF's. It really doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Not really. Anyone can score 50 against the Warriors. Big men, guards, SF's. It really doesn't matter.

It's a combination of both. The current rules greatly favor the offensive player, but anyone can put up 50 against Golden State or New York. Gary Coleman could drop 50 on either.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy77
    Of course it's not unprecedented. There have been plenty of good rookies who have come out and done great things right out of the gate. It hasn't been long since Chris Paul and Derron Williams came out, and I'd rate those two as the premier PGs in the league right now.

That doesn't make it any less silly to act like it's a foregone conclusion less than 10 games into the season. For all we know, the guy could settle into season averages of 13 and 3 by the end of the season. Lots of rookies come out of the gate hot. Teams who get these guys in the draft are usually in a position where they need those guys to produce right away, and they give them the ball and a long leash. The precedent for hot starts fizzling into OK production is a lot more established than the precedent for a guy coming into the league as a top 10 player.

your joking right? dwill and cp3 never put up these numbers their rookie years, not even their sophomore years. This kid is putting up established all star in his 5th year type numbers. There is a huge difference. I wouldnt make a post about some really hot and streaky player. This guy is the truth. Read it and weep.

Good High School Starter Rafael Delaget's Avatar

I love all these people saying "So what? Plenty of people have scored that many points in a game. We're early in the season, the Warriors don't play defense, this means nothing."

There are 44 other players in NBA history who have scored 55 points in a game. Of the 30 who are eligible, 23 are in the Hall of Fame. The 7 guys who are eligible but aren't in the Hall (Fred Brown, Richie Guerin, Bernard King, Purvis Short, Kelly Tripucka, Chet Walker) weren't exactly scrubs either. They combined to play in 24 all-star games (alright, Purvis didn't play in any, but still).

Here are the 14 guys who scored 55 but aren't yet eligible for the Hall of Fame:

Gilbert Arenas
    Kobe Bryant
    Allen Iverson
    Lebron James
    Karl Malone
    Tracy McGrady
    Reggie Miller
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Tony Parker
    Michael Redd
    Glen Rice
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Dwyane Wade

About half those guys are absolute locks for the Hall, and the rest are all very good to great players in their own right.

Jennings' performance last night doesn't guarantee that he'll be an all-time great, but all this "who cares, we're only 10 games into the season and the Warriors suck" talk is ridiculous. Over the course of NBA history, lots of players have played lots of games early in the season against bad defenses. Not many of those players ever managed to score 55 points.

I want to see how he does against the Mavs. Hope to see another great performance from him.

Quote Originally Posted by tikay00
    your joking right? dwill and cp3 never put up these numbers their rookie years, not even their sophomore years. This kid is putting up established all star in his 5th year type numbers. There is a huge difference. I wouldnt make a post about some really hot and streaky player. This guy is the truth. Read it and weep.
    Once upon a time, a C came into the league and averaged 21.7ppg, 8.9 rpg while shooting over 54% from the floor, and .797 from the FT line. Not surprisingly, the guy caused a lot of noise around the league, and made the All Star Team that year, at a time when there was a lot of talent in the NBA-- including his own draft class. He was considered a shoo-in as a perennial All Star, and a cornerstone player-- certainly destined to be a top 5 player at his position in the NBA.

I doubt most anyone here would ever suspect the guy even got mentioned in All Star conversation. [color=white]Bill Cartwright[/color]

Now, you may say that those numbers aren't 'established All Star numbers', but Tim Duncan would definitely disagree with you.

The name of the player I'm referencing is in this post in white text. SURPRISE!

You've just been shown why it's best to hold off on declarations until there's a bigger volume of data to draw from.

Banned

Once upon a time, a C came into the league and averaged 21.7ppg, 8.9 rpg while shooting over 54% from the floor, and .797 from the FT line. Not surprisingly, the guy caused a lot of noise around the league, and made the All Star Team that year, at a time when there was a lot of talent in the NBA-- including his own draft class. He was considered a shoo-in as a perennial All Star, and a cornerstone player-- certainly destined to be a top 5 player at his position in the NBA.

I doubt most anyone here would ever suspect the guy even got mentioned in All Star conversation. [color=white]Bill Cartwright[/color]

Now, you may say that those numbers aren't 'established All Star numbers', but Tim Duncan would definitely disagree with you.

The name of the player I'm referencing is in this post in white text. SURPRISE!

You've just been shown why it's best to hold off on declarations until there's a bigger volume of data to draw from.

wow man. This kid isnt bill cartwright. I know what your saying about rushing to conlusions, but you cant deny this kids greatness. He was the number 1 player in the country before the nba, and now he's shuttin it down in the nba. It;s not like he's some random player exploding, he also has the pedigree. Yes, i understand teams are going to learn his game and shut him down on ocassion, but that goes with every player. He can also pass very well, and he is super quick. He's playin like tony parker is playing right now. This kid is the truth.

'You can't deny the kid's greatness'? I couldn't deny his talent, or his efficacy so far-- and I'm not trying to deny 'greatness'. I'm just saying 'greatness' isn't discerned or measured over the course of 7 games, no matter how spectacular they may seem.

You also have to remember that during Cartwright's rookie year, you'd have been laughed at for saying 'this kid isn't Bill Cartwright', because people at that time were in the middle of seeing him basically put up 22 and 9 every single night, which is better than 25 and 7 over 7 games.

I'll freely admit that I see Jennings as a special talent, but I'm not ready to talk about anybody 7 games into their career being a shoo-in as a top 2-3 player in the league. This is especially true because of equally monstrous talents in guys like Wade, LeBron, Carmelo, Durant, John Wall (who hasn't even arrived yet), Chris Paul, etc.

you can say brandon jennings scored 55 points, or you can say brandon jennings averaged 55 points for one game

Good High School Starter Rafael Delaget's Avatar

One of my favorite things about new basketball seasons is the hilarity of watching people fall all over themselves when they see the next crop of talent hit the league. We're not even 10 games into the season, and Jennings is being talked about like he's the second coming of Jesus.

I remember last year when that rookie scored 55 in his 7th game in the league, and everybody started talking him up like he was going to amount to something. Did he fall off the face of the earth or what? I mean, I can't even remember his name. Is he even still in the league? Somebody refresh my memory.