Default Im playing Highschool Football for the first time...

I loved the game of football for some time and have finally been allowed to play. Since I was a freshman, all the football players and coaches at my high school wanted me to play football since im one of the fastest guys in my school and I have a built body for football. Instead Ive played basketball (my main sport) for the past 3 years, (im a junior now) because my mother would not allow me to play because shes afraid that I will get hurt. She does not understand the game at all. My basketball coach who is also the head football coach had a talk with my mom recently and my mom agreed to let me play since ive been bothering her for the past 3 years and the bennefits of playing.

I have some questions...
    1) First week of Football season for new guys (freshman and those who are new to the program, me) is trying out for there postions qb, rb, lineman etc. Coaches want to see where the players best fit in. I am not afraid of getting hurt at all, but im getting reqruited by a couple of schools for basketball, so it would suck if i get my legs injured. Do defensive positions have a less chane or no chance of injury, (leg, serious injuries which would put me out of football? I know this seems like a soft question

2) Is football a difficult sport to learn for a guy playing on a team for the first time?

3) Should I play? In your oppinion should I play in my last year of highschool since I got School, High School Basketball, Club Basketball and Work alongside Football? Would it be too much of a workload?

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Default Re: Im playing Highschool Football for the first time...

Quote Originally Posted by iTwistAnkles
    I loved the game of football for some time and have finally been allowed to play. Since I was a freshman, all the football players and coaches at my high school wanted me to play football since im one of the fastest guys in my school and I have a built body for football. Instead Ive played basketball (my main sport) for the past 3 years, (im a junior now) because my mother would not allow me to play because shes afraid that I will get hurt. She does not understand the game at all. My basketball coach who is also the head football coach had a talk with my mom recently and my mom agreed to let me play since ive been bothering her for the past 3 years and the bennefits of playing.

I have some questions...
    1) First week of Football season for new guys (freshman and those who are new to the program, me) is trying out for there postions qb, rb, lineman etc. Coaches want to see where the players best fit in. I am not afraid of getting hurt at all, but im getting reqruited by a couple of schools for basketball, so it would suck if i get my legs injured. Do defensive positions have a less chane or no chance of injury, (leg, serious injuries which would put me out of football? I know this seems like a soft question

2) Is football a difficult sport to learn for a guy playing on a team for the first time?

3) Should I play? In your oppinion should I play in my last year of highschool since I got School, High School Basketball, Club Basketball and Work alongside Football? Would it be too much of a workload?

If you don't want to get hurt then don't play at all.. In my opinion defensive players get less hurt cause they usually get less hits and don't get tackled but you will still get hit at DB. Football is a violent sport first of all. I would say you play WR/DB/KR if your as fast as you say you are. It will be also very hard to play. You will have to learn coverages, routes, defense responsibilities, etc. Not to mention practice can be hell at times nothing like basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    If you don't want to get hurt then don't play at all.. In my opinion defensive players get less hurt cause they usually get less hits and don't get tackled but you will still get hit at DB. Football is a violent sport first of all. I would say you play WR/DB/KR if your as fast as you say you are. It will be also very hard to play. You will have to learn coverages, routes, defense responsibilities, etc. Not to mention practice can be hell at times nothing like basketball.
    im not afraid of gettin hurt, but wouldnt it suck for a guy whoe gets injured while hes getting reqruited for basketball? I want to know what position i would play if i was on defense?

What do you mean by football practice can be hell at times?

Exactly. I played and for the most part your going to get hurt no matter where you play. You are either going to get tired of it or your going to get over it because you will probably play hurt a lot. Db what i played is not as bad as some of the other positions but your still going to need to step up and make some plays

Quote Originally Posted by simcjt
    Exactly. I played and for the most part your going to get hurt no matter where you play. You are either going to get tired of it or your going to get over it because you will probably play hurt a lot. Db what i played is not as bad as some of the other positions but your still going to need to step up and make some plays
    What I mean by getting hurt is being injured seriouslly and being out for a couple of months which would limit my chance of a basketball scholarship. I wouldnt mined being bruised or anything while playing football.

im not afraid of gettin hurt, but wouldnt it suck for a guy whoe gets injured while hes getting reqruited for basketball? I want to know what position i would play if i was on defense?

What do you mean by football practice can be hell at times?

Play DB..

Football practice can be really tough. In the begging most schools have 2days which is just brutal and it really depends on the coach/school. Expect to run, a lot of contact drills, tackling, getting ****ted on, running, long practices, sled dummy, sprints, etc....

National High School Star Abd El-Krim's Avatar

quit typing and go **** a cheerleader.

I have some questions...

anyone else feel like this entire story is made up? Rocketgreatness is that you? I'm almost positive that none of this story is true.

and i'm pretty sure i remember RG making a thread a while ago about this exact same topic.

and if this is true and you aren't RG..... you're not going to walk onto a football field for the first time and contribute

Quote Originally Posted by endorphins
    anyone else feel like this entire story is made up? Rocketgreatness is that you? I'm almost positive that none of this story is true.

and i'm pretty sure i remember RG making a thread a while ago about this exact same topic.

and if this is true and you aren't RG..... you're not going to walk onto a football field for the first time and contribute

I'm positive it's RG cause I remember him asking questions about football and still have his PM's asking me for advice.

I'm positive it's RG cause I remember him asking questions about football and still have his PM's asking me for advice.
    i knew it.

don't get me wrong, i'm sure he is going to try football...

but i feel the part about him being a monster athlete who the coaches are begging to join the team might be a ttaaaadddd exaggerated

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

Have fun! Even if that means you might suffer a few unwanted concussions!

You're getting recruited for basketball? DON'T do it. Trust me. You'll gain nothing from this besides a better body.. the risk of injury is too great, and if you play a full offseason/season of football, I guarantee you'll lose some of your basketball skill initially and will have to transition as the actual basketball season progresses. You'll be sacrificing summer league bball, offseason bball training etc. etc. How tall/big are you? Are you a shooting guard, slashing forward, or post player? If your game relies on a lot of skill and shooting touch, it's gonna mess you up.

There are a lot of levels for being "recruited." My advice would be if you are actually being recruited by a school you want to play basketball for, don't decide to play football on a whim your senior year. I did the same thing my senior year. I was being recruited by some smaller schools like USD and UC Davis for hoops. Decided to play football and just because I'm big, I got recruited for football by Cal Berkeley. So I chose to go to the big Pac 10 school and play football instead of playing the sport I loved my whole life at a small school. Got hurt my freshman year because I didn't know what the f@ck I was doing out there half the time. I've always regretted it.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everybody, but thats my 2 cents. If you really love hoops, don't risk throwing it away for a sport that is dangerous to newcomers. It takes years to develop the right instincts and techniques to play football. If you don't know what you're doing already, don't try to figure it out now.

Fresh Kid Turned Rotten Lamar Doom's Avatar

Arrow Re: Im playing Highschool Football for the first time...

can you kick? it's hard to get hurt as the kicker.

isn't football a fall sport in high school (and basketball a winter)? why is this coming up now, is this for next season?