Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: My Vertical

I dunk on 12 year olds

Default Re: My Vertical

[QUOTE=Swaggin916][quote]
    And a last piece of advice, be carefull when doing jumping exercises etc. on the blacktop. You don't want to end up with shin splints or other injuries.

YES. Avoid doing plyos on blacktop. It messed up my knee bigtime. If you do plyos, do them on the grass, a padded surface, or an indoor court. Blacktop and concrete are the worst surfaces you can do them on.

Button and Sticks... a 30 inch vert is average at best. 34-35 is good... and 37+ is fantastic. Both of you need to work on your Leg strength as well. That will really help with your 2 leg jump and standing vert. Good luck to both of you guys. Plyos by themselves only work for people who have natural bounce... you need to get lifting too if you really want to improve.

How do you mean this, like squads with weights?

Quote Originally Posted by methd
    do you have to do the weightlifting right after the jumping for the leg workout??

i want to use the workout too but the gym i got to doesnt have a basketball court or some place where i can sprint
    I'm sure there is some grass somewhere near your gym... just find some open grass and do everything there and then go in the gym and do the weightlifting. The answer is yes though you need to do it all in one session for it to be the most effective.

How do you mean this, like squads with weights?
    yes squats with weights. Heavy weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Underballer

Middle of the square. I know a guy who can put two hands at the top of the square. Needless to say, he dunks like Dwight

Saw a basketball once

Ok...so im 17, 5 foot 11, I used to only be a two legged jumper, but i worked so now im really comfortable with one leg. (left one. im a righty). I have a 28 inches standing vert, idk when i run. I grab da rim easy, at every try and i can dunk a volley ball. My coach is really confident with da fact dat i will dunk this year, cuz i can put da ball above da rim, but it always hits da back of it. But yea...my point is i really need help!! Preferably stuff without weights. Thx!

I dunk on 12 year olds

Quote Originally Posted by BaByBrON
    Ok...so im 17, 5 foot 11, I used to only be a two legged jumper, but i worked so now im really comfortable with one leg. (left one. im a righty). I have a 28 inches standing vert, idk when i run. I grab da rim easy, at every try and i can dunk a volley ball. My coach is really confident with da fact dat i will dunk this year, cuz i can put da ball above da rim, but it always hits da back of it. But yea...my point is i really need help!! Preferably stuff without weights. Thx!
    i could use the same advice, without heavy weights, only got some 1 handed weights with max weight of 9kg and i aint in the possition to buy a 2 handed.

Well you guys will improve a lot more with weights.. just letting you know, but if you want strictly plyos then pretty much all you need to focus on are box jumps and depth jumps. You can do each with one leg if you want to focus on your one leg jump, but there is a greater risk for injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teyc5pxc_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK11KovyaP8

You can do them with light dumbells too like Brandon Roy here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyPQAENLEFM

There are other exercises you can do, but those are the best and the ones you should focus on. You only do 1 or 2 reps per set. It won't feel like you are getting a workout conditioning wise, but that's not what you want anyway. You can do 5 sets or so of each once a week. I'd do them when you have a least a day off afterward.

I dunk on 12 year olds

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Well you guys will improve a lot more with weights.. just letting you know, but if you want strictly plyos then pretty much all you need to focus on are box jumps and depth jumps. You can do each with one leg if you want to focus on your one leg jump, but there is a greater risk for injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teyc5pxc_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK11KovyaP8

You can do them with light dumbells too like Brandon Roy here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyPQAENLEFM

There are other exercises you can do, but those are the best and the ones you should focus on. You only do 1 or 2 reps per set. It won't feel like you are getting a workout conditioning wise, but that's not what you want anyway. You can do 5 sets or so of each once a week. I'd do them when you have a least a day off afterward.
    ok thnx alot man

Saw a basketball once

Yea bro! Thx a lot. :P

Decent playground baller

woot, i can touch pretty high now

I rule the local playground Birmingham1955's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Underballer
    woot, i can touch pretty high now
    how much higher

Decent playground baller

can touch the orange thing that supports the rim

Saw a basketball once

OK, anyone want to help me?

I'm 18, 5'10", in decent shape and I'm pretty fast. However, I had ACL surgery a couple of years ago and since then have pretty much lost all my leap to the point where I can barely touch the rim. I was able to (just) dunk before my surgery and I'd like to be able to get back to that.

What do you guys recommend? For some reason, I haven't lost a lot of speed but I have lost my vertical.

Read this thread and the "by July 3rd next year I will be dunking" thread. You will get just about all of the info you will need as to how to increase vert.

but in a sentence, in order to increase vertical, you have to increase explosiveness... Heavy ass weights (squats, deadlifts, stepups, etc.) and some plyos to compliment is how you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy20
    Middle of the square. I know a guy who can put two hands at the top of the square. Needless to say, he dunks like Dwight
    yeah our middle school/junior high gym had measurements on the side. The top of square was like 11'4 ft was around there. My friend 6'4 could hit it. We call him leapfrog.

Saw a basketball once

Here's a little motivation for dunking:

This and other streetball tees available at www.ballzytees.com
    Last edited by ballzytees; 04-12-2010 at 10:43 PM.