Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Your Favorite Poster NumeroOcho's Avatar

Default Re: What's your favorite Documentary ?

that is serious

Value Ape.

Soul in the hole.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Hearts And Minds (1974)

Oscar winner and first critical look at the Vietnam War. It's raw, and hard to watch at times.
    Fascinating and excruciatingly honest. Definitely one of the best that I have seen.

Fog of War is also an excellent one on Vietnam. Give it a look if you haven't already.

The Thin Blue Line is one of the best that I have seen. Also, The Unforeseen has to get a nod, as well.

EDIT: I saw The Bridge also, 1987_Lakers. Certainly eye opening. I had no idea that this massive problem existed for the Golden Gate Bridge. Incredibly sad.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenryan
    wire walking has alot more high stakes than an 1980's arcade game.
    and calling the mormon religion a fake "sport" might offend some some posters here.

so what if it has "high" stakes? that actually makes it an even more moronic waste of time. Getting killed for something useless? Thats Magnavox smart.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    \
    Fog of War is also an excellent one on Vietnam. Give it a look if you haven't already.
    YES. This was a GREAT movie. It was fascinating to see how he had regrets in some areas and refused to back down in others. It was also scary as hell to see just how much power a man with a misguided world view had.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by iggy>
    Really??

Of all the information-packed, knowledgeable, educational, interesting, documentaries available throughout the 60+ years of filmmaking, your favorite is one featuring The Game??

Blu Ray

Thread bookmarked. I'm not a huge fan of docs, but most recently "Collapse" blew my mind. Though It's not really a documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    Really??

Of all the information-packed, knowledgeable, educational, interesting, documentaries available throughout the 60+ years of filmmaking, your favorite is one featuring The Game??

This is how we do.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Planet Earth anybody?

Steve Nash
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

The Journeymen
    its about two guys trying to make a living playing pro tennis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXN1jaV6UMo

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    This is how we do.
    Precisely.... thats the worst part.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    This is how we do.

my favourite documentary is "What Happened to Kerouac."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXakFbIvXaA

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Grey Gardens - Bizarre film about Jackie Kennedy's relatives that live in a dilapidated mansion on Long Island. Their house is filled with cats and raccoons... But the two women - a mother and daughter - seem to live in their own world where they reflect on their past lives. I would say it is sad, but the women genuinely don't seem unhappy. They enjoy each others' company and seem oblivious to the house crumbling around them... Really hard to explain this, but definitely worth a watch. 7/10

Gonzo - Movie about the life and times of Hunter S. Thompson, narrated by Johnny Depp. Very interesting and insightful piece on Thompson's life. There was a lot of stuff in this film that I hadn't previously heard, like when Thompson ran for sheriff in Aspen, Colorado and came within a couple of hundred votes of winning. Hilarious and heart-wrenching. However, I would like to have heard a little more detail of Thompson's later years. Most of the time is spent on his 'prime' during the 1970s. He is a fascinating character, nonetheless. 8/10

Bigger, Stronger, Faster - A film done by an aspiring body builder about the effects (or lack thereof) that steroids has on the human body. It is pretty interesting to see just how little we know about steroids and how completely unconnected circumstances are blamed on steroids just to scare the public at-large (Lyle Alzado, Chris Benoit, etc). It really makes you wonder why steroids are illegal. Good stuff. 8/10.

The Thin Blue Line - Interesting film about a man in Texas who was given the death sentence and was later found to be completely innocent while he sat on death row. The film CAUSED Texas to let him out by revealing an interview that it had with the real killer in which HE ADMITTED to being the real killer. It is widely considered one of the great documentaries of all-time and is known as Errol Morris' best work. 9/10

The Fog of War - Robert McNamara, the Secretary of Defense during the Vietnam conflict, basically admits during the course of this interview-style documentary basically admits that the entire war was a mistake and he helped orchestrate the entire thing. It could be a bit dry if you are not as into American history as I am, but it is a must watch for anyone interested in history. This was also done by Errol Morris. 9/10

King of Kong - This focuses on a very odd sub-culture of America that is obsessed with vintage video games... Mainly Donkey Kong. When I say that these 30 and 40-year-olds live for these games, I mean it. Hilarious and completely fascinating, this is one of the best docs that I have seen. 9/10

The Kid Stays in the Picture - Profile of Hollywood producer Robert Evans, this documentary wouldn't be as interesting if it weren't for Evans' narration, which I believe was the reason for the Kid Notorious cartoon that was on Comedy Central a few years ago. Evans is hilarious. 7/10.

Hype! - Documentary about the Seattle music scene in the late-80s and early-90s. It is worth watching this just for the music. Features performances by Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, etc. But, the movie really isn't about the music itself. It is more about how the media hype machine works and how it pretty much destroyed the creativity in the American northwest. 9/10

Jump! - Based on the competitive jump roping circuit, which I had previously not been exposed to. It is pretty incredible. These people do some crazy stuff ... Backflips, somersaults, breakdancing... All while jumping rope. And, they are super competitive about it... There are regionals, nationals, and world championships. 7/10

The Unforeseen - Focuses around the attempts by developers to turn the beautiful natural land around Austin, TX into suburban sprawl. There is a natural aquifer that leads to Barton Springs, a glorious rallying point for the community in and around Austin, that is being poisoned and destroyed by developers. The doc explores the downfall of 'growth' and human interference with nature. Amazing film. And, to top it off, Sigur Ros does part of the soundtrack. 10/10

Zoo - This one is actually about Mr. Hands, the man who became famous after he died following a sexual encounter with a horse. Fascinating and disturbing film. There are many long interviews with other guys that were a part of the bestiality ring in Washington state that was exposed after the incident. 8/10

Trinity and Beyond - Concerns the testing of nuclear weapons by the US government in 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s.. The films from the tests have been released to the public and this is basically 2 hours of the most amazing/frightening blasts that have ever taken place on planet earth. It is simply amazing that the citizens of this country and the world allowed the US and Russia to conduct these destructive tests for as long as they did. Shocking videos that will leave you shaking in your shoes. It is also narrated by William Shatner... Always a plus. 9/10

Go Tigers - Film about the crazed fans of a high school football team in a city of Ohio (Massillon). I could relate to this one, because I was born and raised in a similar Ohio city (Steubenville). Outsiders will likely be shocked at how seriously high school football is taken. It is more of a religion than a sport. 8/10

I've seen many, many more... These are just the ones that are sticking out at the moment.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 02-09-2010 at 02:57 AM.

Arrow Re: What's your favorite Documentary ?

amazing.

Blu Ray

RBA, you're a wealth of awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

Gonzo - Movie about the life and times of Hunter S. Thompson, narrated by Johnny Depp. Very interesting and insightful piece on Thompson's life. There was a lot of stuff in this film that I hadn't previously heard, like when Thompson ran for sheriff in Aspen, Colorado and came within a couple of hundred votes of winning. Hilarious and heart-wrenching. However, I would like to have heard a little more detail of Thompson's later years. Most of the time is spent on his 'prime' during the 1970s. He is a fascinating character, nonetheless. 8/10

Bigger, Stronger, Faster - A film done by an aspiring body builder about the effects (or lack thereof) that steroids has on the human body. It is pretty interesting to see just how little we know about steroids and how completely unconnected circumstances are blamed on steroids just to scare the public at-large (Lyle Alzado, Chris Benoit, etc). It really makes you wonder why steroids are illegal. Good stuff. 8/10.

the second one is especially great, I watched it right after Pumping Iron and BSF really put the Schwarzenegger movie in perspective.