Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Can someone translate those analects to real english? sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    I always wait until a game is reduced in price before I buy (I never rent games either). I will buy a game new at full price if it's something I just have to have; this is rare however as the price of games seem to drop quite substantially within 6 to 9 months after being released if not sooner.

I've actually heard FFXIII isn't the greatest RPG/Action game released to date. Something like a solid 8.5 or 9 out of 10 but not on the 9.5 or 10 level. Did any of you find the game the slightest in disappointment?

I'm sure I'll buy this in the long haul, but to those who have already paid full price, would you do so again after getting a good feel for the game?

Is it 'just as you expected' ... 'better than expectations' or ... 'somewhat disappointment' ?
    A few months have passed since anyone has commented on this thread/game. Any additional/new opinions?

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-...236261&sr=1-53

Currently $35 on Amazon.

I just bought it a week ago. and i'm addicted to it. It flows very well, presentation is awesome. The battle system is pretty cool, but a little confusing at first. And I really think the game is good from the get go and I'm only in chapter 8. Although I'm not sure how it's going to take 70+ hours as some people before said considering I'm on chapter 8 with just a tick over 16 hours of gameplay. I guess it's supposed to get ridiculously harder or something? I recommend it highly. I've also never played a final fantasy before so..I'm not a biased guy towards it. Also it's cheaper on gohastings.com

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    I just bought it a week ago. and i'm addicted to it. It flows very well, presentation is awesome. The battle system is pretty cool, but a little confusing at first. And I really think the game is good from the get go and I'm only in chapter 8. Although I'm not sure how it's going to take 70+ hours as some people before said considering I'm on chapter 8 with just a tick over 16 hours of gameplay. I guess it's supposed to get ridiculously harder or something? I recommend it highly. I've also never played a final fantasy before so..I'm not a biased guy towards it. Also it's cheaper on gohastings.com
    Gran Pulse for me doubled my playtime alone. It was chapter 10 I think. There are also all the Ceith missions....like 60 of them which takes up a tons of time. If you just play the storyline then no, it won't be 70 hours. But if you do everything in the game then it will easily be 70. It's like 2 games....pre Gran Pulse is entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    Gran Pulse for me doubled my playtime alone. It was chapter 10 I think. There are also all the Ceith missions....like 60 of them which takes up a tons of time. If you just play the storyline then no, it won't be 70 hours. But if you do everything in the game then it will easily be 70. It's like 2 games....pre Gran Pulse is entirely different.
    OH okay, well the boss of chapter 9 has kicked my ass like 4 times in a row and added almost an hour but still. I'm pretty excited for this to take awhile longer. I've done pretty much everything so far, granted all I can do is not fight certain enemies, but there's been maybe 10 total I haven't.

OH okay, well the boss of chapter 9 has kicked my ass like 4 times in a row and added almost an hour but still. I'm pretty excited for this to take awhile longer. I've done pretty much everything so far, granted all I can do is not fight certain enemies, but there's been maybe 10 total I haven't.
    You will love Chapter 10. You will get your ass kicked by tons of enemies....to the point where you literally have to avoid them at all costs. You do a ton of the Ceith missions, followed by the titan quests. But you can't even beat them all until you're super powerful. I think I had to go back post final boss to finish them all. I think Gran Pulse was like 30 hours for me alone. The world totally opens up and is no longer linear.

You will love Chapter 10. You will get your ass kicked by tons of enemies....to the point where you literally have to avoid them at all costs. You do a ton of the Ceith missions, followed by the titan quests. But you can't even beat them all until you're super powerful. I think I had to go back post final boss to finish them all. I think Gran Pulse was like 30 hours for me alone. The world totally opens up and is no longer linear.
    Awesome I'm looking forward to that!

So far I haven't gotten my ass kicked but the battles are tougher.

So far I haven't gotten my ass kicked but the battles are tougher.
    You must be avoiding the real tough ones....maybe just coincidently. The huge turtle things can kill your entire party in 1 or 2 hits. Unless you're way leveled up for some reason.

You must be avoiding the real tough ones....maybe just coincidently. The huge turtle things can kill your entire party in 1 or 2 hits. Unless you're way leveled up for some reason.
    I'm not at the turtles yet when I posted that I was just messing around with the pulse droids things on the fifth ark still. But the boss beat me once and I quit because i almost beat him and then completely stopped looking at my hp gauge. which lead to my death. i was upset lol

EDIT: not the boss but Cid, who took forever for me to beat. BTW what's your opinion on Light's and Fang's best weapons?
    Last edited by Rose; 07-29-2010 at 06:29 PM.

I remember where you are. You aren't where I meant yet. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Honestly it's been a little while, I can't remember what weapons I used. If you go back through this thread there are a bunch of good posts about weapons. I went with whatever they said. I think Lightning's was called the Lion something.....Fang's is whatever gives the improved debuff. Pandora maybe?

I'm not at the turtles yet when I posted that I was just messing around with the pulse droids things on the fifth ark still. But the boss beat me once and I quit because i almost beat him and then completely stopped looking at my hp gauge. which lead to my death. i was upset lol

EDIT: not the boss but Cid, who took forever for me to beat. BTW what's your opinion on Light's and Fang's best weapons?
    Lights best weapon IMO is the Lionheart, which has quick stagger. This cements Light's status as the best ravager in the game.

Fang is more of a tossup, you could use the one with improved debuff if you want her as your saboteur. I use Vanille as my main saboteur with her death spell. So I go with the Fang's weapon with the highest damage output (I think it has stagger lock as penalty)

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    Lights best weapon IMO is the Lionheart, which has quick stagger. This cements Light's status as the best ravager in the game.

Fang is more of a tossup, you could use the one with improved debuff if you want her as your saboteur. I use Vanille as my main saboteur with her death spell. So I go with the Fang's weapon with the highest damage output (I think it has stagger lock as penalty)
    Yeah I can't get the lionheart yet, but thanks for the advice. I'm pumped though to get that. I was thinking about using the one with stagger lock.

Also thanks Rapsfan. I combed the thread again last night. Nothing really is available right now that's an improvement over what I've got. and I just got to the turtles fought one died about 3 minutes later lol

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina

Agreed. I had Hope instead of Vanille so Fang was my Sab and Hope was my healer/SYN.

You do definitely need Vanille though throughout the game. I don't think I could have beaten some of the ceith missions without her.

I have a buddy whose setup was Vanille/Snow/Hope and starts at SAB/SEN/SYN for bossess. Vanille with a lot of Magic+ with an upgraded Bella wand. Once they get all buffed out, Hope switches to MED/RAV while Vanille keeps spamming death.