Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

Default Re: Final Fantasy XIII

I am sure many have seen this, but Gamespot gave it an 8.5. The 'critics' so far have given it a 7.9.

The bad comments include "Exceedingly linear exploration and character progression".

Question, I haven't played FF since the PS2....I don't remember the numbers etc. Would those games have been classified as 'linear'? I am not a massive gamer, so I am not sure what they mean by that. Like I would consider Gears of War super linear......but what about Assassin's Creed 2....is that? What about GTA IV? You can do a bunch of side stuff...but all games have to move forward in the main story. So what is linear in video games?

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    I am sure many have seen this, but Gamespot gave it an 8.5. The 'critics' so far have given it a 7.9.

The bad comments include "Exceedingly linear exploration and character progression".

Question, I haven't played FF since the PS2....I don't remember the numbers etc. Would those games have been classified as 'linear'? I am not a massive gamer, so I am not sure what they mean by that. Like I would consider Gears of War super linear......but what about Assassin's Creed 2....is that? What about GTA IV? You can do a bunch of side stuff...but all games have to move forward in the main story. So what is linear in video games?
    That score is skewed due to TeamXbox giving it a score of 50% in a review that was so retarded that they have already retracted it.

But it's still not what most people expected.

The mean linear in the most literal sense. There is no exploration. The game takes place completely on a tightly set path.
    Last edited by LJJ; 03-06-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Picking the game up tonight at Gamestop midnight release.

I have actually no qualms about an rpg being too linear. This only means that I'm following a story, and if the story is awesome enough, I'd enjoy the ride.

Final Fantasy 6, which IMO is the best, is something you would call linear. Especially during the first half in the world of balance, you follow your party as they chug along, and the story takes you to different places and you carry on. This is actually where RPG's should show their strength in character development.

I remember the whole Edgar / Sabin sequence when they introduced the two brothers and their relationship and on who should be king. That was awesome storytelling.

Same as character progression being linear. If someone was supposed to be a mage then let em be a mage.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Played the game a few hours today and I liked it. The story line in Linear, but I am enjoying it. I think the replay will suffer because of the gameplay style but it is a fun game on the first play through.

What I did not like is they WoWed down the game mechanics, and they way to simple now.

Graphics and storyline are amazing.

After about 2 hours the gameplay really opens up with paradigms and magic.

Rip+Rose=Ripping Rose Clocian-IGN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Graphics and storyline are amazing.

After about 2 hours the gameplay really opens up with paradigms and magic.
    yup, im really loving the game so far. awesome graphics and gameplay. story is also good so far

why everyone hating on it being linear, thats what its supposed too be imo.

I'm now about 6 hours in and I must say I'm impressed. As long as you are open to all the changes they made, the quality is very impressive.

I'm still in the supposedly "slow start" part of the game, but it's obvious this is easily the best Final Fantasy of the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpuente
    why everyone hating on it being linear, thats what its supposed too be imo.

maybe an action game.

not an RPG.

a good RPG offers up many choices on how to go about accomplishing various tasks and often will have branching storylines

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    That score is skewed due to TeamXbox giving it a score of 50% in a review that was so retarded that they have already retracted it.

But it's still not what most people expected.

The mean linear in the most literal sense. There is no exploration. The game takes place completely on a tightly set path.

no, its getting bad and mediocre reviews elsewhere too. Edge Magazine also gave it a 50, Wired gave it a 60 and there are a surprising number of 70 range reviews. I would actually be more wary of the extremely high reviews like Games Radar and Playstation Magazine's scores of 100.
    Last edited by kentatm; 03-10-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Game is getting better and better the deeper I get. It honestly took about 6 hours of gametime before the game really opens up.

I wonder if all these 'game reviewers' really put 6 hours into the game before making their reviews.

My GF has been watching me play, and she keeps wanting me to push forward so she can learn more of the story. This is the first game she's ever wanted me to wait to play when she's home.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    maybe an action game.

not an RPG.

a good RPG offers up many choices on how to go about accomplishing various tasks and often will have branching storylines

no, its getting bad and mediocre reviews elsewhere too. Edge Magazine also gave it a 50, Wired gave it a 60 and there are a surprising number of 70 range reviews. I would actually be more wary of the extremely high reviews like Games Radar and Playstation Magazine's scores of 100.
    Yeah, let's use Edge scores as a measure of a games quality.

IGN and 1up scored it a 89-90. The 85-90 range is probably where it should be.

Your notion on RPGs is, quite frankly, completely false. That's a stylistic choice that has nothing to do with quality.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    Can you give an example of what a good RPG is?

Played it for a couple hours last night and my paradigms and crystaruim. I can't wait to get home after work to play it. This is the best FF since FFVII IMO.

Got my summon Gestalt mode tonight. All I can say is..... woah.