Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: strange happenings in louisiana

i have a ghost story from my mom. she tells it best, but i will try to do it justice

So back in the 60's, my mom is in HS and about 14 years old. Her and her best friend spend the night on my grandfathers boat docked at the marina in San Francisco. While they are there, they are listening to the radio and hear a report about a gruesome murder in downtown SF. Apparently a wealthy semi-famous guy killed his wife and children in their home. My mom says the radio story scared the crap out of her and her friend, so they turned off the radio and tried to sleep.

Fast forward 10 years. Its the 70's, and Mom is now a grad student at UC Berkeley. One day, a family friend phones her, and asks if she is able to house-sit for them. My mom agrees, and collects the keys to the house, which is a mini mansion right on Lombard street (very famous SF street). Mom is really excited, and immediately decides to invite some people over to get drunk and enjoy the rooftop hot tub. She collects 4 friends, including her best friend from high school, and they all set out for a night in the city.

As the group is driving toward downtown, she feels like something is not quite right. She knows she should be happy, but for some reason she is apprehensive, feeling like theres a knot in her stomach. As they get closer to the house, conversation dies down inside the car, eventually everyone is quiet. As they are pulling up to the house, my mom feels genuine fear. She looks around at her friends, who also look a little uneasy, but not wanting to ruin the night, she parks the car and the group approaches the house. My mom feels terrible, but she puts in the security code at the gate, and walks up the front door. Nobody says a word. My mom opens the door to the house and the whole group is paralyzed in place. Inside of the house, the only thing she sees is a magnificent staircase, and it is the most frightening thing my mom has seen in her life. She looks at her best friend, and the group bolts, slamming the door and running to the car. Nobody said a word until they were across the bay in Berkeley again, where my mom started crying. Everybody said that looking inside that house was the most terrifying thing they had ever seen. The thing is, nobody knew why it was terrifying. Nobody said they saw a ghost, or heard anything.... they just felt terrified, sick to their stomachs almost.

A few weeks later, the family friend is back in town. My mom drives over to drop off the key. My mom starts asking about the house, and finds out that the family friend got the house for a bargain about 10 years ago. It turns out, that the original owner had murdered his wife and children at the bottom of the staircase. When my mom heard this, she instantly thought back to the radio report she had heard as a teenager. She went to a library and pulled up some records and finds that the night which she and her friends decided to party at the house, was the exact 10 year anniversary of the night that the man murdered his wife and children which she had heard on the radio as a teenager. She finds out that her and her friends probably showed up at the house right around the same time of day the murder occurred as well.
    Last edited by Nanners; 03-03-2010 at 03:39 AM.

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

A few years ago I went skiing in a place called Thredbo, it's in Australia. A few years earlier there was a huge landslide that killed a bunch of people. The lodge i stayed in was built on the land where the people died and i felt so uneasy in the place. I didnt know it was the same spot till my friends girlfriend told me the second night we were there. There are definitely places that have a seriously creepy uneasy vibe, even though it was a new building. Not staying there again!

Future D1 Dad

i got a couple of quick stories:

i've had a cabinet door swing open and close by itself right in front of me. that was pretty strange. it was in a newly remodeled apartment that used to be one big house. they say that ghosts get pissed off when u drastically change a house they're in.

another time, in another newly built apartment built on land that used to be a church or an old school, my oldest stepdaughter woke up screaming very early in the morning. she said she had seen a small black figure leaning in the doorway and it started moving towards her. she said it was like an old woman. when she screamed ( i remember her yelling "MOMMMMMAAAA!!!) it vanished.

that same apt., my wife swore she saw things all the time. shadows darting in the kitchen and a black cloud-like shape above the kids' bunkbeds. i didn't see anything there. the crazy thing is that our neighbors next door AND across the street have seen similar figures in their houses too.

then in a house we were renting (i've lived in a gagload of places around town), my wife startled me one morning when she jumped up. i was partly awake, laying w/ my eyes closed. she said she opened her eyes and saw a person staring down at her right in the face. we knew the people who lived there right b4 us and they said the place was haunted. in the back room, the stereo would volume would go up and down all the time and they say figures around the house.

my grandmother swears the house she grew up in was haunted. it was out in the sticks and her mother and friends were really in seances and they had ghosts appear and talk and even a small table walked moved down the stairs by itself. another time, they were coming home (by horse and buggy) and were nearing the corner by their house. they saw huge flames and realized their house was on fire. they got around the corner and their house was just fine.

i almost forgot. i went to visit my friend's grave about 1.5 yrs ago w/ my kids. we were leaving and i took the long way out to check out all the cool looking gravestones. i got to a certain point in the very back of the graveyard and all of a sudden, i had an intense depressed, sad feeling come over me. it was like i just got weak and my whole body felt slumpy. i parked for a few minutes and waited for the feeling to pass. i told the kids that i was just looking around at the graves. the weird thing is that i remembered having a dream about going to the graveyard and visiting my friend's grave a while b4 i went.
    Last edited by jbot; 03-03-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Has anyone read the Ted the Caver story or House of Leaves?

Also, Marlo I read another story that was similar to that one, it was about a guy who was working on an Indian Reservation and got stuck in a storm one night. He believed he encountered a shadow person. I read it in the old version of this thread, and this thread (and older iterations) have some pretty great stories.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=113213

I am undecided on ghosts and the paranormal, but this story of my dad and aload of his bothers is scary as shit, and whats more is knowing them i cant see them making it up. Only one of them including my dad has ever talked about it.

I will do my best to tell it anyhow.

Context

My Grandparents in Ireland own a holiday house at the foot of some mountains in county Sligo. Its very isolated and sparse. The house itself is spooky as shit. It used to be a train station before the railway line closed. The nearest house is about half a mile away and the nearest village is tiny. The place is the definition of wilderness. My dad has eight brothers and two sisters and they often go to this house as a holiday retreat, they go fishing and shooting etc. Their are a few ghost sories I have heard from my family regarding this place, but this one is the one i remeber the best.

Ok so
    My dad and 4 of his brothers, Kevin, Keiron,Martin and Collum are down in the house for a weekend fishing, doing drugs and drinking etc. I believe they decided to go for a walk about nine in the evening. They were out trying to shoot foxes on etc.

They walked along the old railway line for about a mile, when they came across some old druidic burial mounds/barrows. They were not surpirised by this as their are plenty of them in this part of the world.(I have seen these paticular mounds myself) Anyway on this paticular night Keiron and Kevin felt like going over to the mounds and exploring them, and possibly trying to get inside. They all went over to the mounds to have a look around. Martin and my dad recall feeling a bit uneasy at this point . Upon getting close to the mounds the battery powered torch they were carrying gave out, apparetly for no good reason. Kevin was unphased by this wheras Martin Collum and my dad were becoming increasingly more uneasy.

Kevin and Keiron both manged to find a way into one of the barrows, they said their was not much in their at all. They snooped around and came back out. Once they came back out of the mounds Martins dog started barking madly at Keiron and Kevin for some reason. They all then proceeded to head back to the house. As they got a little bit away from the mounds the torch came back to life. They were all a little freaked out by this.

Anyway they were drinking and smoking later on that evening. All was apparently well until the dog started going completely insane. It started runing into walls and barking etc. Everyone recalls feeling very scared and uneasy all of a sudden excpet Keiron, who apparently sat very still, pale as a ghost staring into space. (My dad said he didnt know why but he just felt a great unease, and incredibly scared). Then apparently Keiron started rocking in his chair and chanting some undiscerneable words. he was in a complete trance and apprently the words sounded like Latin or celtish or something. He apprently started shouting louder and louder. My dad says two of them were slapping him and shaking him but he was completley out of it.Then apparently their was a loud sound from the other room an all of a sudden Keiron snapped out of his trance. The sound was apparently a low pitched groan.

Not one of them slept that night, but they stayed there the following night and nothing else happend. Since then their have been no similar occurences, it was acomplete one off.

To this day Keiron will not speak about going into his trance or the whole evening to anybody. Consider this was over 15 years ago.

My dad and martin talk about it when asked but they are pretty guarded and uneasy.

Kevin has told me he doesnt want to talk about it. He said it was a long time ago and it was strange, and left it at that

Collum who is the youngest, and a scientist is the most scpetical. he says he cant explain some of what happend but he recons that the events of that evening may have been influenced by the booze and dope they were smoking

Anyway thats it. When my dad told my the story i was shitscared, he probs told it a lot better than this. One of my Aunts refuses to sleep in the house as does her husband because of another story but i will save that for later

Please post the other story today.

Baron the Bear:

Truth Seeker

Quote Originally Posted by vapid
    Has anyone read the Ted the Caver story or House of Leaves?

Also, Marlo I read another story that was similar to that one, it was about a guy who was working on an Indian Reservation and got stuck in a storm one night. He believed he encountered a shadow person. I read it in the old version of this thread, and this thread (and older iterations) have some pretty great stories.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=113213
    scary shit.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomSmasher
    not necessarily hunting because that's how you get yourself into trouble (so im told by people around here) but i can definitely show you some stuff that would flip your whole world upside down.

houses that date back to the early 1700s, very old ruins over indian burial grounds, various revolutionary war figures lived here, it's a very lush rural area surrounded by tons of farm land, etc.

one of the scariest story that was ever relayed to me came from my mother. she was born and raised in italy in a house that dates back to the 1400's. she has 5 brothers and her brother who was closest to her in age shared a bedroom with her. they were very young at the time, no older than 7. they slept with a night light. my mother is woken up in the middle of the night by what she described as a very painful pinch on her chest. she opened her eyes and immediately saw her brother sound asleep in bed.

she then glanced at the wall and there was a silhouette of what she described as a demonic figure swaying back and forth on the wall. the figure was coming from the doorway. she immediately shut her eyes and forced herself to go back to sleep. i have trouble even thinking about this one.
    This one seems like a night terror. I had one before, I was still trying to fall asleep in my dorm room when suddenly I felt something really heavy on my chest, and an image of a face appeared in my vision, and it started screaming really loudly. I struggled to try and say something to my roomate a few feet away but I couldn't get a peep out for the life of me. After about half a minute it stopped and I asked my roomate and he didn't notice anything or any sounds.

Of course maybe that was a ghost too since I was boarding on campus in England, our school was on some really old grounds the chapel next to it was hundreds of years old and apparently some nun had committed suicide in our pond.

Local High School Star BrentISballin's Avatar

All you need for weird stuff to happen in your house is a Ouija board

Truth Seeker

Quote Originally Posted by BrentISballin
    All you need for weird stuff to happen in your house is a Ouija board
    very true. people shouldn't mess with that stuff IMO.

Local High School Star BrentISballin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomSmasher
    very true. people shouldn't mess with that stuff IMO.
    Never mess with it, that stuff is crazy. I have had friends whose apartment neighbors in college would use them and freaky stuff like the OP posted would happen. If you invite it into your house, it will come . No need to go " hunting" lol

One girl I know who went to a christian college, her neighbor used one Long story short, the girl I know started hearing loud whispering in her room at night, the clock floated off the wall and the table started moving across the room when she was lying in her bed at night.

If I become a billionare, screw philanthropy. I'm offering people huge prizes for solid proof of aliens, ghosts, living prehistoric animals, and mapping strange places like the Mammoth Caves.

The mind can play crazy tricks on you, this thread is proof.

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by vapid
    If I become a billionare, screw philanthropy. I'm offering people huge prizes for solid proof of aliens, ghosts, living prehistoric animals, and mapping strange places like the Mammoth Caves.
    Mhmm. I'd do the same.