Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a bike

College star

Default Buying a bike

I am looking to get a crotch rocket (or sport bike or w/e you call it). I am not too experienced with these types of bikes, I only have rode dirtbikes and stuff, but I have some extra money and I have always wanted one.

Sorry I am a n00b in this, I have been trying to do some research but I felt I should ask my ISH brothas.

btw I am a pretty tall guy too so take that into account.

I am just wondering what would be a good beginner bike.
    Last edited by hayden695; 03-27-2010 at 12:48 AM.

Truth Seeker

Default Re: Buying a bike

Honda nighthawk is a great starter bike and you can probably find ones that run pretty cheap. I have an 84 and it's awesome.

R6 or R1

If you've never touched a sport bike before, I'd advise you to get a small one first, like 250cc or so, and take your time learning to ride properly. Otherwise, chances are you'll hurt yourself badly. Sport bikes are no joke. Aprilia and Honda have some crazy 250cc. models, like Honda NSR 250 (this is an old model, should be pretty cheap if you can find one) and Aprilia RS 250:

After some time, when you feel you're ready, you can always upgrade and get something faster/more powerful. A personal favourite of mine is the Honda CBR 600.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomSmasher
    Honda nighthawk is a great starter bike and you can probably find ones that run pretty cheap. I have an 84 and it's awesome.

i got an 83 650 and i love the ****ing thing. Bought it for 600 bucks, runs like a champ. Never had the need to buy another bike yet.

But to the OP, don't waste your money. Get a naked bike. Same engine + tranny as the sport bike, but cheaper, less plastic, better ergonomics, less maintenance, less insurance, and better low speed handling. The only thing crotch rockets really do good at is go above 130 mph.

Go naked.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    R6 or R1

R1 is quite far from a beginner bike

High School Starter

How much a bike cost? Is it possible for someone to rent a bike?

First of all, nothing too powerful. So get rid of all the dreams of having a 600-1000+cc bike.

Why?

Because you didnt learn to drive in a super car so why would you learn to drive on a superbike?

Also, get a naked bike. What I mean by Naked is that they dont have any fairings(the plastic on the sides). Beginners usually drop bikes and fairings are expensive to replace.

College star

BTW I was thinking of taking the course for learning how to ride, its just that you need your own bike for it. Also it cuts insurance costs a bunch apparently.

Like I said I know basically how to ride, and an uncle of mine is big into bikes so he could show me what I don't know and all that.

So naked bikes just don't have fairings? Or is there other differences?

For te lower CC bikes how much does the size of the entire bike change, like what would be the difference in like a 250 to a 600 or something. I understand what CC is but is it like dirtbikes where when you are bigger you go higher because the rest o the bike is bigger.
    Last edited by hayden695; 03-27-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hayden695
    BTW I was thinking of taking the course for learning how to ride, its just that you need your own bike for it. Also it cuts insurance costs a bunch apparently.

Like I said I know basically how to ride, and an uncle of mine is big into bikes so he could show me what I don't know and all that.

So naked bikes just don't have fairings? Or is there other differences?

For te lower CC bikes how much does the size of the entire bike change, like what would be the difference in like a 250 to a 600 or something. I understand what CC is but is it like dirtbikes where when you are bigger you go higher because the rest o the bike is bigger.
    Well, I've only owned 250cc and 600cc bikes, and I'd say the differences in size aren't that big. 600cc are bigger and (slightly) heavier, but not that much. It's all about speed and power. 250cc make great starting bikes, because they're fun and (relatively, since they're still bikes) safe. Top speed is around 120-130 mph, and the acceleration is already sick. Now a 600cc is a different animal. There's a huge increase in power, (from 70 to 120 hp in the bikes I owned), which translates in an out-of-this-world acceleration and sometimes makes you feel like you're riding an angry horse about to go bananas.

National High School Star dough's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    Well, I've only owned 250cc and 600cc bikes, and I'd say the differences in size aren't that big. 600cc are bigger and (slightly) heavier, but not that much. It's all about speed and power. 250cc make great starting bikes, because they're fun and (relatively, since they're still bikes) safe. Top speed is around 120-130 mph, and the acceleration is already sick. Now a 600cc is a different animal. There's a huge increase in power, (from 70 to 120 hp in the bikes I owned), which translates in an out-of-this-world acceleration and sometimes makes you feel like you're riding an angry horse about to go bananas.

Have you riden a 1000?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Have you riden a 1000?
    No, never. My CBR 600 is the biggest bike I've ever ridden. I sold it last year and I regret it.

Blu Ray

It'd be cool to get something cheap for like $600-$800 for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    No, never. My CBR 600 is the biggest bike I've ever ridden. I sold it last year and I regret it.
    On a stupid dare, I rode one and pissed my pants. Literally.

I never got out of first gear.. Never had that kind of acceleration before in my life.

I have been thinking about buying a bike for a looong time, but I always chicken out.