Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Future D1 Dad

Default Re: Physics Breakthrough: Recreating the Big Bang

watched a show the other night that was saying that everything (and i mean EVERYTHING) we see around us, including us, came from a supernova that created our solar system. every molecule of your keyboard, desk, rocks, etc... that's just crazy to think about.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    watched a show the other night that was saying that everything (and i mean EVERYTHING) we see around us, including us, came from a supernova that created our solar system. every molecule of your keyboard, desk, rocks, etc... that's just crazy to think about.
    yeah, every atom in your body was created inside of a star. it's almost incomprehensible.

umm....the Big Bang? (that created everything)

   

which in turn all came from the atoms formed in the big bang, namely hydrogen and helium for the most part. which in turn came from subatomic particles formed earlier on.

and due to the fact that atoms are ultimately not stable entities, everything we see around us and everything that will come after us will eventually break back down into subatomic particles in a burned-out universe no longer able to create new generations of stars to light it up. assuming dark energy does not intervene to rip everything to shreds before then, of course.

anyway, yea... crazy, fascinating and humbling stuff IMO.

   

Quote Originally Posted by vapid
    umm....the Big Bang? (that created everything)
    no, he meant that it was events like supernovas that pre-seeded our primordial solar system with heavier elements, making the potential for life possible on earth, to name one.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    no, he meant that it was events like supernovas that pre-seeded our primordial solar system with heavier elements, making the potential for life possible on earth, to name one.
    But its basically the same concept as the Big Bang, I don't see whats so mindblowing about that.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

I thought the big bang started with a giant ball of matter (everything) and that exploded...

so the big bang itself didn't "create" anything...it was all already there

right?

NDEers claim that the big bang is never ending...it repeats for an eternity...there have been an "infinite" number of big bangs already and there always will be...

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    I thought the big bang started with a giant ball of matter (everything) and that exploded...

right?

NDEers claim that the big bang is never ending...it repeats for an eternity...there have been an "infinite" number of big bangs already and there always will be...
    Well the action of the Bang set in motion the events that have led up to our existence, so to me its about the most solidly proven "creative" action that I know of at the moment.

   

Quote Originally Posted by vapid
    But its basically the same concept as the Big Bang, I don't see whats so mindblowing about that.
    you don't see what's so mind-blowing about the big bang?

or you don't see what's so mind-blowing about the differences between supernovas and big bangs, and what the difference means for the potential of earth-like planets?

or you don't see what's so mind-blowing about the fact that the only concept in the whole process that you seem to understand is a very simplistic idea of a "big bang," period?

right?

[COLOR="Red"]NDEers claim that the big bang is never ending...it repeats for an eternity...there have been an "infinite" number of big bangs already and there always will be...[/COLOR]
    whyyyyy? why bring them up again? hear say is not scientific evidence. this is a scientific thread. keep it out.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    whyyyyy? why bring them up again? hear say is not scientific evidence. this is a scientific thread. keep it out.
    it was big bang related and I find it interesting... ...that's why...lol...obviously

isn't there a legit theory in science that the big bang repeats anyway?

   

yes, but it lost most of its support once astrophysicists detected that the universe was (and is) expanding faster and faster...

you don't see what's so mind-blowing about the big bang?
    Most of us have learned about it in school for many years, so its not a new concept.

or you don't see what's so mind-blowing about the fact that the only concept in the whole process that you seem to understand is a very simplistic idea of a "big bang," period?
    I commented about any other part of the process, and you've always been an idiot.

it was big bang related and I find it interesting... ...that's why...lol...obviously

there is the big crunch theory which says the fate of the universe is that it will collapse back in on itself into another singluarity, this could possibly allow for another big bang.

it depends on whether or not we lived in an open or closed universe (which i think we don't know at this point?). if the universe is open it means that expansion will be ongoing (less density than critical density), if it is a closed universe it means that it will eventually collapse because the critical density is less than the actual density of the universe.

it is basically the outcome between rate of expansion vs gravity. currently the rate of expansion is increasing. i don't really know alot about it though, i haven't done any university level physics. i have friends doing it and they tell me stuff, most of which goes way over my head.

Future D1 Dad

bingo. you worded way better than i could.