Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Re: Physics Breakthrough: Recreating the Big Bang

Quote Originally Posted by Bladers
    I perceive "evolution" as being made up aswelll.

Anyway i digress... notice i have nothing against science because much of what is "real" science has real overwhelming substantiated factual evidence.

like the sphere earth, earth hung on nothing, the expanding universe, etc..
    earth is an oblate spheroid and it is tethered to the sun by gravitational forces.

Local High School Star markymark's Avatar

Wait, are you telling me that you can't comprehend that if an being created the universe. that it would create it in an orderly fashion?

Dude when you look at skyscrappers and someone tells you, hey so and so created this, they built this. Do you respond with, "get out, how can so and so create that, I can tell you how it was made, it was made from steel stacked upon each other in a hallow ground...etc..etc"

well duh!

God is the same way. He didn't create the universe and it laws by magic.
    Things didn't just appear into place. The known universe and all its billions of galaxies and stars didn't just instantaneously appear.
    So when people say discovering how the universe came about is destroying the idea of a God created it, is down right retarded.

it would be the same if I said, hey I will tell you how a skyscraper was built, how it comes into being. That means no person created it.
    +1

the real "god" is actually this force/energy that triggered and sustained existence

The everything that is created argument doesn't work...not only is it illogical and extremely flawed when talking about the universe as a whole, but also in the sense that it would require that god was created.

I suggest you all watch some debates from Christopher Hitchens. Claiming to know something that is impossible to know is what religion is. Science doesn't claim to know everything; but works towards finding answers. Religion says it knows everything; and if it doesn't, it simply uses the unknown to support how "intricate" god can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jack
    The everything that is created argument doesn't work...not only is it illogical and extremely flawed when talking about the universe as a whole, but also in the sense that it would require that god was created.

I suggest you all watch some debates from Christopher Hitchens. Claiming to know something that is impossible to know is what religion is. Science doesn't claim to know everything; but works towards finding answers. Religion says it knows everything; and if it doesn't, it simply uses the unknown to support how "intricate" god can be.
    No it wouldnt. We know the universe didn't always exist. Therefore the everything that was created argument can be applied, but We believe God to be eternal meaning he was always there. Huge difference. It's still a matter of belief and you are welcome to yours but your argument is flawed

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    earth is an oblate spheroid and it is tethered to the sun by gravitational forces.
    I lol @ your fail attempt.

One of the most driving force of physicists is the bible itself.
    Many scientific theories we have today are to the credit of the bible.
    Last edited by Bladers; 06-19-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jack

Not at all. Several atheists are now claiming the universe always existed in some form but since time was created after the big bang, the universe couldn't be caused.

Basically they are now coming up with a cop-out.

Thats the argument from the voicer of the Stephen hawnkins show on the discovery channel. If you watched it.

I haven't heard anything more contradictory. Well once. Someone was trying to argue that God couldn't exist because time was created after the big bang and nothing could act without time therefore nothing can be caused.

lmao. these guys claim to be king of reason and logic yet spew such contraditory bs. It amazes me.
    Last edited by Bladers; 06-19-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Not at all. Several atheists are now claiming the universe always existed in some form but since time was created after the big bang, the universe couldn't be caused.

Thats the argument from the voicer of the Stephen hawnkins show on the discovery channel. If you watched it.

I haven't heard anything more contradictory. Well once. Someone was trying to argue that God couldn't exist because time was created after the big bang and nothing could act without time therefore nothing can be caused.

lmao. these guys claim to be king of reason and logic yet spew such contraditory bs. It amazes me.
    Dude wtf are you talking about, not only do you not grasp current theories on the universe, you are pretending you do while completely misrepresenting them. Why would anyone argue with you, its like beating your dick with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    No it wouldnt. We know the universe didn't always exist. Therefore the everything that was created argument can be applied, but We believe God to be eternal meaning he was always there. Huge difference. It's still a matter of belief and you are welcome to yours but your argument is flawed
    "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing," he writes. "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."
    Your argument describes the problem with religion.

What was said before we found out about DNA? Because I know the religious sentiment after was that DNA just shows the complexity and beauty of God.

What scientist claims to know everything? That is the point of science; to continue to accumulate knowledge and think freely.

Religion on the other hand, has the answer for everything. Do yourself the favor of at least coming to terms with your beliefs and what it preaches.

The more we find out and the more time that passes, the more silly religion looks.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Now, I'm no physicist so please correct me if I am wrong but... it seems we may finally know CONCLUSIVELY, PRECISELY, how the Universe was formed and be able to recreate the conditions. In addition, we may be able to test and prove other theories that we were unable to in the past (relativity, time/space, etc). If that's true, is this greatest scientific achievement in human history?

More on the Large Hadron Collider

Unreal.

Not to be the ass that ruins this for you, but people are still going to believe in stuff other than the big bang. It will just show what happened during it, but won't settle what was before it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Apparently, the announcement may come as soon as this summer
    Press release from earlier today by CERN, July 4th is the day.

Banned

It is accomplished

New particle fits description of elusive Higgs boson, scientists say

(CNN) -- Scientists said Wednesday that they had discovered a new particle whose characteristics match those of the Higgs boson, the most sought-after particle in physics, which could help unlock some of the universe's deepest secrets.

"We have reached a milestone in our understanding of nature," said Rolf Heuer, the director general of the European Organization for Nuclear Research, which has been carrying out experiments in search of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the world's largest particle accelerator.

"The discovery of a particle consistent with the Higgs boson opens the way to more detailed studies, requiring larger statistics, which will pin down the new particle's properties, and is likely to shed light on other mysteries of our universe," Heuer said.

The particle has been so difficult to pin down that the physicist Leon Lederman reportedly wanted to call his book "The Goddamn Particle." But he truncated that epithet to "The God Particle," which may have helped elevate the particle's allure in popular culture.

Announcements by scientists about their analysis of data generated by trillions of particle collisions in the LHC, which is located beneath the Alps, drew avid applause at an eagerly awaited seminar in Geneva, Switzerland, on Wednesday.

Finding the Higgs boson would help explain the origin of mass, one of the open questions in physicists' current understanding of the way the universe works.
    The researchers stressed the preliminary nature of the results they were announcing Wednesday.

"A more complete picture of today's observations will emerge later this year after the LHC provides the experiments with more data," the nuclear research organization, known as CERN, said in its statement.

But despite the words of caution, the scientists' mood and many of their comments were brimming with enthusiasm about the potential scope of what they had discovered.

"It's hard not to get excited by these results," said Sergio Bertolucci, the research director at CERN.

The announcements by the CERN researchers come two days after scientists in Illinois said they had crept closer to proving the existence of the Higgs boson but had been unable to reach a definitive conclusion.

The U.S.-based scientists outlined their final analysis based on more than 10 years of research and 500 trillion particle collisions using the U.S. Department of Energy's Fermilab Tevatron collider near Batavia, Illinois, whose budgetary woes shut it down last year.

They passed the baton onto their counterparts using the LHC, which is much more powerful than the Tevatron.

Located 328 feet underneath the border of France and Switzerland, the LHC cost $10 billion and has been sending particles smashing together in 17-mile tunnel for the past 18 months.

High speed proton collisions generate a range of even smaller particles that scientists have been sifting through in search of a signal in the data suggesting the existence of the Higgs boson.

The elusive particle is part of a theory first proposed by physicist Peter Higgs and others in the 1960s to explain how particles obtain mass.

The theory proposes that a so-called Higgs energy field exists everywhere in the universe. As particles zoom around in this field, they interact with and attract Higgs bosons, which cluster around the particles in varying numbers.
    Imagine the universe like a party. Relatively unknown guests at the party can pass quickly through the room unnoticed; more popular guests will attract groups of people (the Higgs bosons) who will then slow their movement through the room.

The speed of particles moving through the Higgs field works much in the same way. Certain particles will attract larger clusters of Higgs bosons -- and the more Higgs bosons a particle attracts, the greater its mass will be.
    While finding the Higgs boson won't tell us everything we need to know about how the universe works, it will fill in a huge hole in the Standard Model that has existed for more than 50 years, according to experts.

"The Higgs boson is the last missing piece of our current understanding of the most fundamental nature of the universe," Martin Archer, a physicist at Imperial College in London, told CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/04/tech/p...html?hpt=hp_t2

Video

Obi Wan Kenobi explains the Higgs Boson