Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: David Robinson vs Kevin Garnett?

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    That's a pretty bad point. Look at Duncan in 2004. What great defenders were helping him lock down the paint? Rasho Nesterovic was their starting center for the whole season. The guy was slow as hell. Who else? Malik Rose? A 6'7' fat guy. Horry, an undersized PF, and Hedo Turkoglu, an average at best defender.

Duncan's Spurs' in 2004 have the best defensive rating of all time. It blows away anything KG ever did, including 2008 Celtics.
    How did you miss Bowen who was in DPOY convos and Gin??? And you are comparing them to Pierce and Allen?

When SA went to the bench they actually boosted their little defensive rating score because these guys were all defensive minded: Charlie Ward was one of the best PG defenders. Ron Mercer was definitely above average defender. Kevin Willis while old was still gritty and one of the best defensive bench centers around. Malik Rose was still a superb defender when he came to my Knicks two years after this - at this time in his career he was making clutch defensive stops for SA. Anthony Carter was also tough. Had the Celtics had this loaded of bench defensively the rating would be a joke. But this is the reason people don't talk about this team as being one of the greats: The bench was like a stat stuffer. And Bowen, arguably, was the main defensive guy on that team.

Once again tho, this conversation has nothing to do with Robinson.
    Last edited by Pointguard; 03-04-2011 at 01:01 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

I wonder how many rings KG would have had had he had the good fortune to play with a roster like the Celtics his entire career? I would have to believe that it would have been more than one.

Learning to shoot layups TheJester21's Avatar

There was a thread on ISH earlier debating on whenever KG could win as much rings as Duncan if they have interchanged spots, KG on the Spurs, and Duncan on the Wolves...

The argument for Duncan was that it was his interior defense that made him so special, especially in the 2003 run. This was true. The argument for Garnett was... simply surround hm with a winning organization/management and greater teammates (Drob, Spurs) and he would most definitely win rings. He wasn't the as good as Drob or Duncan at defending the rim, but he was the best at commanding the defense and forcing the opposing offense to run into brick walls... guys like Kendrick, Big Baby, and now Shaq. (I believe Duncan excelled at this as well.)

It's really close for me. From what I've seen, Garnett is the better passer and leader, and after watching him play in the Suns game last night... The guy still has about 4 good years left in him. He played great. Funny how I thought his game had about 90% deteriorated last year while Duncan still looked okay( I had underestimated the toll KG's knee injury took and how it had completely affected his overall performance in the playoffs in 2010) and now hes looking great. Much similar to his 2008 form, though not that good... and now Duncan is the one showing his age! Strange, most guys that come straight out of high school - their knees don't usually last that long. I guess I was wrong about KG.

I can say now this with a lot of confidence... Celtics would've won the finals easily against the Lakers with a 100% healthy KG, Forget the whole "They would've won with Perk in game 7," because it's really a silly arbitrary argument considering Rasheed Wallace stepped up huge that game. I know, they got killed on the glass, but If the Cs had the KG like the one were seeing play right now, they get a ring after that game, no questions about it in my book. And who knows. We could of been looking at a Celtics 4 year dynasty if he hadn't got injured in the first place in their 2009 run.

So very much like Duncan.. .and Robinson... KG + Good team = Major postseason success. So yeah. Put KG on a good team and he does get you rings. I'm sure on that. It's a sad harsh truth but, KG's loyalty hurt him big time. Sad to see a person with so much potential squander off his prime years in a place that was worse then Lebron's Cleveland team.

Celtics and Spurs in the Finals. Please... happen...
    Last edited by TheJester21; 03-04-2011 at 05:11 AM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by TheJester21
    There was a thread on ISH earlier debating on whenever KG could win as much rings as Duncan if they have interchanged spots, KG on the Spurs, and Duncan on the Wolves...

The argument for Duncan was that it was his interior defense that made him so special, especially in the 2003 run. This was true. The argument for Garnett was... simply surround hm with a winning organization/management and greater teammates (Drob, Spurs) and he would most definitely win rings. He wasn't the as good as Drob or Duncan at defending the rim, but he was the best at commanding the defense and forcing the opposing offense to run into brick walls... guys like Kendrick, Big Baby, and now Shaq. (I believe Duncan excelled at this as well.)

It's really close for me. From what I've seen, Garnett is the better passer and leader, and after watching him play in the Suns game last night... The guy still has about 4 good years left in him. He played great. Funny how I thought his game had about 90% deteriorated last year while Duncan still looked okay( I had underestimated the toll KG's knee injury took and how it had completely affected his overall performance in the playoffs in 2010) and now hes looking great. Much similar to his 2008 form, though not that good... and now Duncan is the one showing his age! Strange, most guys that come straight out of high school - their knees don't usually last that long. I guess I was wrong about KG.

I can say now this with a lot of confidence... Celtics would've won the finals easily against the Lakers with a 100% healthy KG, Forget the whole "They would've won with Perk in game 7," because it's really a silly arbitrary argument considering Rasheed Wallace stepped up huge that game. I know, they got killed on the glass, but If the Cs had the KG like the one were seeing play right now, they get a ring after that game, no questions about it in my book. And who knows. We could of been looking at a Celtics 4 year dynasty if he hadn't got injured in the first place in their 2009 run.

So very much like Duncan.. .and Robinson... KG + Good team = Major postseason success. So yeah. Put KG on a good team and he does get you rings. I'm sure on that. It's a sad harsh truth but, KG's loyalty hurt him big time. Sad to see a person with so much potential squander off his prime years in a place that was worse then Lebron's Cleveland team.

Celtics and Spurs in the Finals. Please... happen...
    Best post I've seen in this thread. Including and especially the last line...PLEASE HAPPEN!

KG doesn't even come close to David Robinson or Tim duncan. They were both better defensively and offensively.

The only thing KG has them on is his "Mental" state

Quote Originally Posted by M.Bustly15A5RU8
    So, are you saying that KG could guard Shaq better than DRob? OP's question was who would you rather have on your team. I personally prefer the versatility of DRob to guard the bigger centers.

We all know the unstoppable/dominant player that Shaq was in his prime so please don't pretend that there were many players around who could do a better job guarding Shaq - certainly not KG.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    The Lakers do factor in a way. I know Kobe, one of the best offensive players of this era acted like he never saw a defense like Detroit and Boston's. The SA defense never seemed to phase him much or at least to that extent.
    Spurs swept Kobe and Shaq in 99 and beat the 3-time defending champions in 03. Spurs also beat the vaunted Detroit team in 05 - something the Lakers failed to do in 04.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

I hate to say this but why would kg guard shaq robinson is a center kg never played center he can play but not to the extent of guarding bigger guys . he is not build for that but nothing to take away from Kg. he can do alot of things that most big guys cant even think of doing.

Kg overrated? if only kg had been with a better organization and a true coach. i bet duncan wont get the 4 rings. he might still but am pretty sure garnett is right up there.

Its sad i mean drob is great but he isnt the 2nd best center of all time he isnt in top 5. on kg we can actually make an argument of being the best PF of all time. something that can not be said to drob. i know the competition is tougher but its unfair for kg to be compared to drob which is a true center.

Shaq gave people alot of problems so please dont put that argument that drob can guard shaq better than kg. once shaq gets inside your dead. so please set that aside. Kg's only real competition is tim duncan. just take alook on how kg has been guarding the like's of stoudamire boozer bosh at his age kg is still doing pretty darn good.

you make it sound like kg's defense is crap .. really .. kg is one of the few guys that can guard 5 posts. can duncan and drob do that?

Quote Originally Posted by westsideozzie
    David Robinson won a title with Avery Johnson at pg. Game set Match.

we also had tim duncan with him the greatest spur ever...

what a way to make an argument

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=robinda01

only thing thats better for drob .3 reb and .4 blocks ... everything else kg

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=robinda01

only thing thats better for drob .3 reb and .4 blocks ... everything else kg
    Retarded. Notice how pre-injury Robinson dominates the shit out of KG up until '99. So basically, Prime DRoB owns a young KG while prime KG owns an over-the-hill DRob. Tale about useless posts.

Even then, I'd still take DRob's line over KG's. Better FG%, and two less points in four less minutes of playing time.
    Last edited by Artillery; 03-05-2011 at 03:46 AM.

I usually hit open layups twintowers's Avatar

Prime David Robinson OWNS prime Kevin Garnett...OWNS....

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Teanett
    compared to admiral, kg is a legendary playoff performer...
    hahahaha
    KG's playoff numbers are deflated by the fact that he had so many 1st-round exits because he had a crappy supporting cast AND many of his post-season numbers have come in his past-prime stage (08-11).

In his prime when he had a competent supporting cast...

03: 24/15/5/2.

David Robinson vs Kevin Garnett?

IMHO; the two most overrated players of all time.