Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: David Robinson vs Kevin Garnett?

Quote Originally Posted by KG5MVP
    if i have a new franchise i would build aroung david robinson

yes i said it, David Robinson
    We all know you're a Jordan fan more so than a KG one so whatever...

Very close imho. Hard pressed to find something wrong with one another on your team. I would pick the admiral because he was a true center.

Also I believe kg would have done a better job on hakeem than david did, he was destroyed by hakeem, if you forgot

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Robinson till 1995-96 before injuries

I like Garnett's leadership over Robinson's despite Robinson having much better success in comparable situations as the man. Honestly speaking I think the difference in their scoring production may have some to do with how the game evolved from the early 90's to where you had multiple high scoring bigs to KG's era where it was much rearer .

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dough
    I love how the OP put the annuals of KG's awards UNDERNEATH the actual awards, to make his list seem longer than Robinson's. Good stuff. KG with the Wolves was never as good as the Admirals was with the Spurs (sand Duncan). Robinson also battled some of the greatest players and teams in the history of the league.
    In other words, KG's list is actually half as long as it appears to be.

DRob > KG easily. KG's had a longer career, Robinson was obviously the better player on both ends of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    I like Garnett's leadership over Robinson's despite Robinson having much better success in comparable situations as the man. Honestly speaking I think the difference in their scoring production may have some to do with how the game evolved from the early 90's to where you had multiple high scoring bigs to KG's era where it was much rearer .

you make it sound like robinson played in the 70's.
    kg came to the league only 5 years after robinson. kg was already an all-star when admiral won his first title. he was well inside admiral's era. with enough high scoring bigs around scoring in the high 20's (shaq, malone, webber, dirk even duncan).
    the reason why kg wasn't one of them and wasn't as dominant a scorer as robinson is that... he just wasn't.

NBA rookie of the year ginobli2311's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    In other words, KG's list is actually half as long as it appears to be.

DRob > KG easily. KG's had a longer career, Robinson was obviously the better player on both ends of the floor.
    saying easily is just not true.

you are letting being a spurs fans cloud your judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_520
    David Robinson.

1. Robinson played well against a more competitive league, and against stiffer competition at his position.
    Thats half-truth. Its true DRob played in the golden age with stacked Top talent, but its also true KG faced vastly better teams in the Playoffs during Minny career. Also Admiral had better teammates, in later part of his career he even had freaking Duncan, not much to cry about. So in the end your argument doesnt work, in THIS case.

2. While I will agree that Robinson had better overall teams, they weren't better by all THAT much, as Sean Elliiot while decent, is probably the most overrated player to have his number retired besides Avery Johnson. He had a few all star appearances when the league was suffering a weak talent streak, scored 20 ppg probably one season and was a notoriously average at best defender.
    Spurs wouldnt have won 56-62 games per year in the Golden age with a crappy team, when Champions won as many if not less games, like Rockets with 47. So lets not throw teammates under bus when Robinson folded in the Playoffs himself. If he would have kept his Regular season averages (or even elevated his game, like most other superstars do), Spurs would have been perennial contender, winning multiple rings before TD even arrives.

3. David Robinson was a better defensive player IMO. Not taking away from KG's great defensive qualities but take any of KG's seasons and put them against D-Rob's 91-92 season and you will understand. Now I know this is only a sample, but Robinson's versatility was unmatched by anyone not named Hakeem during his tenure. Yeah, KG is probably one of the most well rounded guys to ever play basketball, but he wasn't over seven feet tall and playing the center position. I would venture to say he was probably more explosive and faster baseline to baseline as well.
    I would agree DRob was a better defender than either KG or Timmy, almost on Hakeem level. He wasnt quarterback of the defense like KG is though, that makes their impact somewhat comparable, but I would still give Robinson an edge in D.

4. David Robinson was more dominant offensively. Now much of this how to do with KG's blatant disregard for scoring and his love for passing, and KG obviously has a more rounded offensive game than the Admiral, however D-Rob was more unstoppable compared to others at his position, scored more often, and go to the free throw line more often (this is big) than KG.
    In the regular season yes, in playoffs no. KG elevated his games in the post-season, DRob crashed. Plus offense includes court vision and passing, and KG is much better at it than Admiral.
    Last edited by Harison; 03-01-2011 at 08:05 PM.

I would go with Garnett. But its close.

As for why Robinson is so underrated? I think all Spurs are underrated. Tim Duncan, George Gervin and even Mano Ginobli are also vastly underrated.

Heck look at the press regarding the NBA? Its all Heat, Celtics, Lakers and Knicks. And its not a "big market thing" either because I hear plenty of press about the Thunder. But you hear nothing about the Spurs. And they have the leagues best record.

Maybe the Spurs need a uniform change or something so their GOAT players can get some respect.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    Very close imho. Hard pressed to find something wrong with one another on your team. I would pick the admiral because he was a true center.

Also I believe kg would have done a better job on hakeem than david did, he was destroyed by hakeem, if you forgot
    Yes, Hakeem battered Robinson in ONE post-season series that encompassed SIX games. But how about over the course of the careers?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=robinda01

They met 42 times during their careers, and aside from Robinson's team's going 30-12 against Hakeem's, their numbers were almost identical.

Hakeem scored 21.9 ppg to Robinson's 19.6 ppg.

Robinson outshot Hakeem from the field by a .488 to .441 margin.

Hakeem outshot Robinson from the FT line by a .768 to .717 margin (BUT, Robinson scored more from the line.)

They were EQUAL in rebounding at 11.2 rpg

Robinson edged Hakeem in assists, 2.9 apg to 2.8 apg

Hakeem nipped Robinson in blocked shots, 3.4 bpg to 3.3 bpg

Robinson had more steals, 2.2 spg to 1.9 spg

Hakeem was slightly better in turnovers, 2.9 tpg to 3.0 tpg

Now, once again, that was over the course of 42 regular season H2H meetings. So, for those that believe that Hakeem "destroyed" Robinson, they had better take a closer look.

Local High School Star

Robinson and it's not even close. Robinson was longer, taller, faster and more dominant on both sides of the ball. He was never quite the same coming back from a broken foot, but he's kinda lucky that it happened else he'd have never had Duncan to carry him to his 2 titles.

If you want to compare careers, then a case can be made for KG.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

< - the man in my avatar. need not to explain any further. drob may have battled alot of great guys but kg battled who is considered by everyone as the best .. tim duncan. so kg for me !

3-time NBA All-Star

BTW,

I have no real preference between Robinson and Garnett. I just get sick-and-tired of reading how Hakeem "destroyed" DRob.

Very good NBA starter

I'll take KG. Robinson never showed up for the playoffs and wasn't there mentally. Too soft. Also, KG's longevity is much more impressive.

Learning to shoot layups TheJester21's Avatar

I think Drob was the better player... It's close but the admiral was defensively and offensively a monster before his injury.

Who would I take on my team... I'll take KG. Simply because of what he gives your team... and he sure gives a lot.