Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Michael Jordan to return for the 2012/2013 season?

Jordan allready has proved age is'nt a big barrier. at 40 he was averaging big numbers with the Wizards. he dosent need to prove anything to anyone.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    The NBA forum is getting dumber (if that's even possible), and even some of the better posters seem to have been hit...

I'll copy and paste this one more time, just to see if it finally gets through...

Are you kidding me? Take a look at most players from their peak (usually around 28), and 8 years later at 35-36... Wilt dropped off by 20ppg, Kareem by 9ppg, Magic dropped off dramatically, Oscar's ppg halved in the time, Larry dropped off by 8ppg, Shaq's ppg halved from 28ppg to 14ppg, Hakeem's ppg was cut in half, etc.

Now take that same gradual deterioration with a 40/41 year old to 49... Not 27/28-35/36, but 40ish to 49ish...

Actually Magic didn't. His points/rebounds/assists per minute in 96 were close to would they were in 91. And he was totally out of shape. If he had been in better physical shape he would have been almost the same as in 91.

Good High School Starter

LOL, if he did come back he would be playing 15 minutes a game IMO. Maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    50 year olds don't lose noticeable strength if they work out. I know plenty of 50 years way stronger than your average 20-something year old. Why would his jumpshot look much worse? It's not like 50 years old are unable to duplicate the proper form ona jumpshot. Look at MJ in the video vs Wallace and Richardson that I posted. He still looks good there.

Considering this is the man widely considered the rgeatest to ever play the game and considering how good he looked vs Wallace and J-Rich in practice, 5 ppg on 35% shooting is laughable.

I'm not saying he'd be as good as he was with Washington, but he'd still be able to make some fadeaway's mid range j's, get a steal every once and while because of his great anticipation and his passing ability wouldn't have gone away. Not to mention the softer rules.

He'd still be a decent player.
    So you're saying he'd be as good as Will Bynum and Flip Murray?

1 on 1 is completely different to a full pace NBA game. And to answer your other question about his jumpshot, your muscles change at 50. You become more burly and strong, though it's a different ball game.

These "softer" rules you talk about wouldn't apply to MJ. Players wouldn't need to be physical in the first place seeing as they would simply stay in front of the old 50 year old.

The best he'd be is maybe 7ppg and 4rpg on 38% odd shooting in 20 minutes.

Seems crazy. From a business point of view though, there probably isn't another player who could make so many people watch the Bobcats as himself. Maybe LeBron, but that's about it.

Kareem, a top 3 player ever, averaged 11ppg as a 41 year old. What makes you think Jordan, playing on the perimeter, where it's harder to scorer, players are quicker to move in front of you, are more athletic, the shots come from further out is going to score more at 50?

He's not getting any fouls called for him. It would be ridiculously easy for players to stay in front of him, there would be no need for fouls. His "smarts", "basketball knowledge", "basketball IQ" or "heart for the game of basketball", and all these other BS excuses one could possibly think of are no good in this situation. He simply isn't physically capable, and if you think a 50 year old man can go against 25 year olds like Igoudala, Wade and Rose, you're kidding yourself. Do you know how quickly each of those players would blow by Jordan? Do you know how easily they'd get to the spot before Jordan?
    Actually its easier to score more points (not necessarly better FG%) on the perimeter than down lown. Thats why most of the scoring leaders are players that are out on the perimeter. You have more chance of being left wide open for a shot than being left wide open down low.

Jordan wouldnt be guarded by players such as Wade, Kobe, Lebron, Battier, etc. because he wouldnt be the main threat on his own team (3rd or 4th option at best). If Jordan feels like he got weaker then he would work on other aspect of his game to make up for it. Its not like he's gonna come back in the NBA without being able to shoot or post up. Paul Pierce was never fast or a high jumper but he still managed to get his shot off and score some points.

Quote Originally Posted by beermonsteroo
    Actually Magic didn't. His points/rebounds/assists per minute in 96 were close to would they were in 91. And he was totally out of shape. If he had been in better physical shape he would have been almost the same as in 91.
    Magic's game never relied on athelticism, just like SA3234 claims about Jordan at the Wizards, yet look at the difference it made from 91 to 96. His assits nearly halved and his points took a 6ppg fall. How is that no difference? Per minute is fine and all, though at 50 how much would MJ be playing? No more than 20 minutes a game. There is no shot in hell he averages more than 7 or 8ppg.

Did you not see how much 8 years makes from approximately 28-36? What makes you think it's going to be easier from 41-50? Ageing only gets worse and more rapid, and if you want to deny this and continue with the Jordan loving, then I simply can't help you from your delusional fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Actually its easier to score more points (not necessarly better FG%) on the perimeter than down lown. Thats why most of the scoring leaders are players that are out on the perimeter. You have more chance of being left wide open for a shot than being left wide open down low.

Jordan wouldnt be guarded by players such as Wade, Kobe, Lebron, Battier, etc. because he wouldnt be the main threat on his own team (3rd or 4th option at best). If Jordan feels like he got weaker then he would work on other aspect of his game to make up for it. Its not like he's gonna come back in the NBA without being able to shoot or post up. Paul Pierce was never fast or a high jumper but he still managed to get his shot off and score some points.
    Are you comparing a peak athlete with a 50 year old?

Are you comparing a peak athlete with a 50 year old?
    I think its safe to say Paul Pierce is way past his peak/prime. And MJ isnt a random 50 year old guy you could see on the streets. He was an athlete before too (arguably one of the greatest). And anyway i never claimed that MJ would be as good as Pierce. I said i wouldnt be surprised to see him get about 12 ppg on low FG% (4-5 shots made with maybe a 3pointer and a few FTs).

My point was more like if Pierce can get his points and shots off without using any athletic abilities (other than maybe posting up) then MJ could do the same

Sheeeit Stuckey ballin Jumpman10135's Avatar

I am sure if he was placed in this years draft he would be top 15 pick. He has so much legacy and I am sure he can still get off the floor better then someone like JJ Redick.

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    I think its safe to say Paul Pierce is way past his peak/prime. And MJ isnt a random 50 year old guy you could see on the streets. He was an athlete before too (arguably one of the greatest). And anyway i never claimed that MJ would be as good as Pierce. I said i wouldnt be surprised to see him get about 12 ppg on low FG% (4-5 shots made with maybe a 3pointer and a few FTs).

My point was more like if Pierce can get his points and shots off without using any athletic abilities (other than maybe posting up) then MJ could do the same
    What is this notion of NBA players not using athletic ability to score? Paul Pierce was an athletic player at his peak, and is reasonably athletic now. He was recorded as a better athlete in his pre draft measurement than Ricky Davis. You know, the guy who does in between the legs dunks and what not?

I guess if you can do boot tap reverses along with windmills, you just aren't athletic...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzAX-xKsik

7-time NBA All-Star

What is this notion of NBA players not using athletic ability to score? Paul Pierce was an athletic player at his peak, and is reasonably athletic now. He was recorded as a better athlete in his pre draft measurement than Ricky Davis. You know, the guy who does in between the legs dunks and what not?

I guess if you can do boot tap reverses along with windmills, you just aren't athletic...
    Do you have a link for Pierce performing better at the combine than Davis?

And you're right that Pierce was pretty athletic, but he still doesn't get much elevation on his jumpshot at all and he has a slow release.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Do you have a link for Pierce performing better at the combine than Davis?

And you're right that Pierce was pretty athletic, but he still doesn't get much elevation on his jumpshot at all and he has a slow release.
    EDIT: Was looking at the wrong column.

Yeah Pierce used to be athletic at some point but that video was taken when he was still in highschool which is like 15 years ago. Pierce right now is listed at 235lbs and his nowhere near that level of athleticism yet he still scores 18ppg while shooting a career high in FT%, 3pt% and being 0.3% lower than his career high FG%.

Jordan knows he wont be able to blow past his defenders at will anymore so i excpect him to work on his 3pt game and shooting even more. Do you really think Jordan would humiliate himself and come back in the NBA if he felt like he couldnt even score 8ppg? Im sure he pracitced alot agaisnt players of his team and will go through some drills before making the decision to come back.

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Wade vs. Jordan
    Durant vs. Jordan
    LeBron vs. Jordan
    Kobe vs. Jordan
    Roy vs. Jordan
    Evans vs. Jordan
    Mayo vs. Jordan

NBA Live 2010/ NBA 2k10
    Come on LeBron23 even you know that the OP is exaggerating. He has no link to support this rumor and he is one of those newer poster of the last 800 newly added members in the last week.

That being said I would love to see Jordan go up against some of these guys in a Charity game