Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Which Pink Floyd album I should get next?

I have DSOTM, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Obviously I am lacking in anything with Syd Barrett, but I don't know which earlier album to pick up??

Default Re: Which Pink Floyd album I should get next?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    I have DSOTM, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Obviously I am lacking in anything with Syd Barrett, but I don't know which earlier album to pick up??
    You're missing the best part.
    Go with the Piper, man

If it's Syd Barrett you are after, obviously the only option is Piper at the Gates.

Decent playground baller

neither of them are from the syd-led days, but the next two albums i'd go for are 'the final cut' and 'meddle'.

the former receives a lot of hate, but as (more or less) a waters solo album with guest appearances by the rest of the band and some orchestration, its a pretty cool album with some really great songs and catchy melodies. i consider it more or less a continuation of 'the wall' in that it sticks to the same general song formulas that make up so much of the songwriting waters does. in fact, a few of the tracks were written for 'the wall' but rejected by the band (including the title track). the politicized lyrics come off pretty forced and it isn't exactly the most versatile album, but still well worth a listen.

'meddle' is the album you need to immediately get though. it's known for ushering in the new waters-led sound that would eventually put them on the map. i'm sure you've heard 'echoes', which comprises the entire second side (and is one of the best pieces they've ever written), but the five songs on the first side are very good too. especially 'fearless'.

as far as the syd days go, i'd go with 'saucerful' in a heartbeat. the debut had its moments but overall it was too long and a bit too out there, and although syd was less involved in the sophomore, he still had a clear hand in it. the opening three tracks of 'saucerful' are absolutely awesome and set a perfect tone (i'm sure you've heard 'let there be light', and 'set the controls for the heart of the sun' is just downright eerie), and then you get to 'corporal clegg' which is a super wonky tune with strangely beatles-sounding lyrics. so yeah, i'd start with that one if i were you, and then move back to 'piper'.

i've stopped listening to 'atom heart mother' completely. its got some cool sections but overall its pretty clunky and not in any way cohesive (probably because each member wrote a song by themselves, unless i'm mistaken).

'ummagumma' is pretty strange, although the first live disk is pretty cool once you've become acclimated to the earlier albums. the studio disk is mostly avant garde crap though and you wouldn't be missing much by passing.

'obscured by clouds' is above average. haven't heard 'more' yet.
    Last edited by knobs; 04-22-2010 at 10:48 AM.

get the live at pompei dvd/cd

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Personally, I would pick up Obscured by Clouds, probably my personal favorite. Its not a Syd record though.

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by knobs
    neither of them are from the syd-led days, but the next two albums i'd go for are 'the final cut' and 'meddle'.

the former receives a lot of hate, but as (more or less) a waters solo album with guest appearances by the rest of the band and some orchestration, its a pretty cool album with some really great songs and catchy melodies. i consider it more or less a continuation of 'the wall' in that it sticks to the same general song formulas that make up so much of the songwriting waters does. in fact, a few of the tracks were written for 'the wall' but rejected by the band (including the title track). the politicized lyrics come off pretty forced and it isn't exactly the most versatile album, but still well worth a listen.

'meddle' is the album you need to immediately get though. it's known for ushering in the new waters-led sound that would eventually put them on the map. i'm sure you've heard 'echoes', which comprises the entire second side (and is one of the best pieces they've ever written), but the five songs on the first side are very good too. especially 'fearless'.

as far as the syd days go, i'd go with 'saucerful' in a heartbeat. the debut had its moments but overall it was too long and a bit too out there, and although syd was less involved in the sophomore, he still had a clear hand in it. the opening three tracks of 'saucerful' are absolutely awesome and set a perfect tone (i'm sure you've heard 'let there be light', and 'set the controls for the heart of the sun' is just downright eerie), and then you get to 'corporal clegg' which is a super wonky tune with strangely beatles-sounding lyrics. so yeah, i'd start with that one if i were you, and then move back to 'piper'.

i've stopped listening to 'atom heart mother' completely. its got some cool sections but overall its pretty clunky and not in any way cohesive (probably because each member wrote a song by themselves, unless i'm mistaken).

'ummagumma' is pretty strange, although the first live disk is pretty cool once you've become acclimated to the earlier albums. the studio disk is mostly avant garde crap though and you wouldn't be missing much by passing.

Meddle is the correct answer. The entire album is incredible, not just Echoes.

Meddle and Obscured by Clouds are the obvious answers!

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    Meddle is the correct answer. The entire album is incredible, not just Echoes.
    meddle is probably my second favorite album (to be fair, there is a lot of PF I dont care for). I dont know if there is a "correct answer", but those two and animals are the tops IMO.

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    meddle is probably my second favorite album (to be fair, there is a lot of PF I dont care for). I dont know if there is a "correct answer", but those two and animals are the tops IMO.
    True. I'm not even sure if Echoes if my favorite song on the album. It's probably tied with "One of these days"

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knobs

Ok... Now I know this is Ridonks. Good to have you back, buddy.

As for the OP, I will 'echo' all of the others by recommending Meddle. It is Floyd's first really complete album. There isn't a bad track on it (granted... there are only six in total).

While 'Echoes' and 'One of These Days' are classics, Pillow of Winds is probably the most underrated Floyd song of all-time. It never fails to completely relax me.

Fantastic album.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

remakes of dark side of the moon to get
    dub side of the moon
    darkside of the moon remade with nintendo noises
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euLdKW_Db1k

Decent playground baller

Ok... Now I know this is Ridonks.
    i was waiting to see how long it would take posting pretty obviously as myself for you guys to catch on. lol

but 'pillow of winds' is the most underrated floyd track of all time? i gotta staunchly disagree there, man. its certainly relaxing and i far from hate it, but frankly its waaaaay too boring to boast such a bold title. unless i'm mistaken it was written primarily by gilmour, who isn't exactly the best solo song-writer in the world - better at adding bluesy elements and solos to tracks created by others. there's no real melody to it and it isn't nearly as memorable as 'fearless', among plenty of others. in fact, i like the bouncy 'san tropez' quite a bit more (in spite of despising it upon my first listen).

btw, is there a general consensus that both 'a momentary lapse of reason' and 'the division bell' stink beyond belief? thats the type of product you get when you leave gilmour to lead a band by himself. just god awful.

favourite response from waters regarding the first gilmour-led record: "well at least it was appropriately titled"
    Last edited by knobs; 04-22-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Why the hiatus/name change?

PF sandwiched some pretty legit songs in the middle of a lot of boringness.

Were 90% of their songs made for people strung out on coke/high on heroin?