Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FCN
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Which Pink Floyd album I should get next?

Get the Roger Waters solo album "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking".

It's got Eric Clapton on lead guitar, and is pretty awesome. Sounds a bit like The Wall and The Final Cut.

Decent playground baller

It's got Eric Clapton on lead guitar, and is pretty awesome.
    song is far from great, but the clapton solo at around 2:20 is among my favourites of all time

i wasn't an enormous fan of the album overall, though i should probably give it another chance to let it sink in. i definitely prefer 'radio k.a.o.s.' which has much more of an 80s vibe.

Why the hiatus/name change?
    i took a break for the sake of school and decided to abort my old name, fearing the temptation of ish might be too much for me. sounds sad, doesn't it? maybe i'm weaker than i thought. i remembered i had this user name a week ago or so, and with the year -just- about done (one more 6-8 page take home exam that i need to finish by tomorrow morning), i decided to make a return to ish to procrastinate. ;)

FCN

Quote Originally Posted by knobs
    song is far from great, but the clapton solo at around 2:20 is among my favourites of all time

i wasn't an enormous fan of the album overall, though i should probably give it another chance to let it sink in. i definitely prefer 'radio k.a.o.s.' which has much more of an 80s vibe.
    You are right on all counts but 1. The song is great =-)

The whole album is amazing really IMO. Probably an acquired taste for some Floyd Fans though.

Decent playground baller

i haven't listened to it in about a year, but i think i remember finding that waters was a bit too herky-jerky with the way his lyrics rode over the songs. whereas most prime floyd records showed consistent and repetitive lyrical structures, 'hitchhiking' was all over the place and rarely settled into a smooth head-nodding pace. you could actually hear that trend develop in 'the final cut' and i didn't mind it in moderation, but it just went too far in 'hitchhiking'.

but maybe i'll give 'er a re-listen soon just to re-evaluate. this very thread has had me revisiting and enjoying 'obscured by clouds' a lot, although i still don't think its anywhere near their best like a few others seem to.

FCN

i haven't listened to it in about a year, but i think i remember finding that waters was a bit too herky-jerky with the way his lyrics rode over the songs. whereas most prime floyd records showed consistent and repetitive lyrical structures, 'hitchhiking' was all over the place and rarely settled into a smooth head-nodding pace. you could actually hear that trend develop in 'the final cut' and i didn't mind it in moderation, but it just went too far in 'hitchhiking'.

but maybe i'll give 'er a re-listen soon just to re-evaluate. this very thread has had me revisiting and enjoying 'obscured by clouds' a lot, although i still don't think its anywhere near their best like a few others seem to.
    It definitely follows the trend of the final cut, and certain songs off the Wall which have this same sound. Keep in mind Waters wrote the Pros and Cons at the same time he wrote The Wall. The band chose to do The Wall first when presented with both by Waters. Given this, it would actually be more accurate to say that The Final cut, while recorded first, follows trends set by The Pros and Cons. (and The Wall)

The Final Cut didn't develop any trends. It was just Wall B-Sides and left over junk.

FCN

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    The Final Cut didn't develop any trends. It was just Wall B-Sides and left over junk.
    You refer to When The Tigers Broke Free

Great song, and should have been on The Wall soundtrack.

It was left off the Final Cut as well, and only finally added to some remastered version recently I think.

Decent playground baller

Keep in mind Waters wrote the Pros and Cons at the same time he wrote The Wall. The band chose to do The Wall first when presented with both by Waters.
    yeah, that does ring a bell now that you mention it. again i'll have to give it a re-listen, but from what i remember, 'pros and cons' did have a distinctly different lyrical vibe (i suppose phonetically, as opposed to thematically, would be the best way to put it) from both 'the wall' and 'the final cut'.

this is inaccurate, i think. this wasn't like, say, radiohead releasing 'kid a' and following it up with 'amnesiac' (and don't bother ranting about how both are minimalist drivel, we've heard it before). those records consisted of the same studio recording, in which some songs were picked for album A and others were picked for album B, using whatever criteria decided on by the band.

for floyd though, at least based on the final studio recordings of either album, its pretty clear that 'the final cut' was a product of rogers revisiting and altering the songs, if only to meld them together and give them a more cohesive feel. i say that only based on how much 'the final cut' diverges thematically from 'the wall'. musically they're very similar, so you're definitely on point when you say that a lot of the songs were rejects that the rest of the band didn't feel were worthy of 'the wall' (and interviews with the band back that up). but at an educated guess, given how much more political 'the final cut' turned out to be (the post war dream, get your filthy hands off my desert, two suns in the sunset, hell the whole f*cking album), its pretty damn safe to say that waters rewrote a lot of the lyrics (and perhaps some of the music) in preparation for the release.

the general trend of slightly more wonky and nonrhythmic lyrics on waters part is just something i noticed in 'the final cut' that seemed even more enhanced in 'hitchhiking'. maybe i'm wrong, once again, its been a while since i listened to the latter.

You refer to When The Tigers Broke Free

Great song, and should have been on The Wall soundtrack.

It was left off the Final Cut as well, and only finally added to some remastered version recently I think.
    yeah, this is right. and i'm pretty sure the song 'the final cut' was also originally intended for 'the wall', along with a few others. i actually only had the vinyl version for a while, and got accustomed to it before i downloaded a version to throw on my ipod - i got to 'when the tigers broke free' and had no idea what was happening, except i knew i recognized it from the movie. lol

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

i was waiting to see how long it would take posting pretty obviously as myself for you guys to catch on. lol

but 'pillow of winds' is the most underrated floyd track of all time? i gotta staunchly disagree there, man. its certainly relaxing and i far from hate it, but frankly its waaaaay too boring to boast such a bold title. unless i'm mistaken it was written primarily by gilmour, who isn't exactly the best solo song-writer in the world - better at adding bluesy elements and solos to tracks created by others. there's no real melody to it and it isn't nearly as memorable as 'fearless', among plenty of others. in fact, i like the bouncy 'san tropez' quite a bit more (in spite of despising it upon my first listen).

btw, is there a general consensus that both 'a momentary lapse of reason' and 'the division bell' stink beyond belief? thats the type of product you get when you leave gilmour to lead a band by himself. just god awful.

favourite response from waters regarding the first gilmour-led record: "well at least it was appropriately titled"
    Actually, Pillow of Winds was a joint effort. Gilmour comprised the song and Waters wrote the lyrics. I think that it was one of their better acoustic offerings and it is almost never talked about, which is why I denoted it 'underrated.' I love Fearless, too, but it has gained popularity over the years.

Take a look at the lyrics for Pillows on their own when you get the chance... It is pretty brilliantly written.

I agree for the most part, though. A lot of Gilmour solo stuff is repetitive and lame. He is one of the best guitarists of all-time at putting the perfect notes together when he comprises a solo, but he often falls short when writing entire tracks... It is sort of odd, when you think about it.

Decent playground baller

yeah, i was mostly speaking musically - although i'm listening to it now and i was probably hasty. it isn't that boring, i just don't think it should be brought up as anywhere really near a top floyd song. i do love the lyrics, though that tends to run true for anything waters happens to write.

i'll always love 'fat old sun' though. really basic tune that doesn't really hold a candle to the acoustic complexity of 'pillow', but its plenty catchy and i never get tired of the steady build-up to the electric solo. this was actually one of the first i tried to learn on acoustic - i just tried to play it again, and its still not super fluent. that f-chord is always a killer for my transitions, even just coming down from the c-chord. hard to make it sound smooth, but i guess that'll come with time.

yeah, that does ring a bell now that you mention it. again i'll have to give it a re-listen, but from what i remember, 'pros and cons' did have a distinctly different lyrical vibe (i suppose phonetically, as opposed to thematically, would be the best way to put it) from both 'the wall' and 'the final cut'.

this is inaccurate, i think. this wasn't like, say, radiohead releasing 'kid a' and following it up with 'amnesiac' (and don't bother ranting about how both are minimalist drivel, we've heard it before). those records consisted of the same studio recording, in which some songs were picked for album A and others were picked for album B, using whatever criteria decided on by the band.

for floyd though, at least based on the final studio recordings of either album, its pretty clear that 'the final cut' was a product of rogers revisiting and altering the songs, if only to meld them together and give them a more cohesive feel. i say that only based on how much 'the final cut' diverges thematically from 'the wall'. musically they're very similar, so you're definitely on point when you say that a lot of the songs were rejects that the rest of the band didn't feel were worthy of 'the wall' (and interviews with the band back that up). but at an educated guess, given how much more political 'the final cut' turned out to be (the post war dream, get your filthy hands off my desert, two suns in the sunset, hell the whole f*cking album), its pretty damn safe to say that waters rewrote a lot of the lyrics (and perhaps some of the music) in preparation for the release.

the general trend of slightly more wonky and nonrhythmic lyrics on waters part is just something i noticed in 'the final cut' that seemed even more enhanced in 'hitchhiking'. maybe i'm wrong, once again, its been a while since i listened to the latter.

yeah, this is right. and i'm pretty sure the song 'the final cut' was also originally intended for 'the wall', along with a few others. i actually only had the vinyl version for a while, and got accustomed to it before i downloaded a version to throw on my ipod - i got to 'when the tigers broke free' and had no idea what was happening, except i knew i recognized it from the movie. lol
    Your analogy of Kid A and Amnesiac is inappropriate. Most of the Final Cut was written at the same time as the Wall and it was left on the cutting room floor because it was not up to standards; not because they were intended to be two separate albums. A variety of biographies I've read discuss this in detail.

And Amnesiac is not minimalist drivel, but thanks for the lame and unwarranted pot shot.

Decent playground baller

potshot wasn't intended to offend - apologies. twas a poor assumption on my part, based on your opinion of 'kid a'. although i'm surprised you hate 'kid a' as much as you do then, because while not identical, both it and 'amnesiac' are pretty similar.

but really...
    Most of the Final Cut was written at the same time as the Wall and it was left on the cutting room floor because it was not up to standards; not because they were intended to be two separate albums.
    did you read my post? i acknowledged that throughout, notably here:

musically they're very similar, so you're definitely on point when you say that a lot of the songs were rejects that the rest of the band didn't feel were worthy of 'the wall' (and interviews with the band back that up)
    my point is that, if 'the final cut' consisted of only (or even primarily) "B-Sides and left over junk" from 'the wall', then how do you explain the overtly political themes and reference that run through all of the lyrics ('maggie, what have you done?'), none of which make much of an appearance on 'the wall'? i think its pretty clear that even if the music was leftover, which as we agree much of it was, the lyrics were in all likelihood rewritten/altered by waters to create more of a cohesive (and political) record. hence why i said the lyrical style that waters used in 'the final cut', at least in terms of rhythm, was different from 'the wall'. and from what i remember, that trend was accentuated in 'hitchhiking'.

Blu Ray

donKs to Pink Floyd is like me to Led Zeppelin

donKs, check this site out: http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/index.php

Decent playground baller

lol, having not even listened to every studio album yet, somehow i don't think i'm quite there yet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    I have DSOTM, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Obviously I am lacking in anything with Syd Barrett, but I don't know which earlier album to pick up??
    You haven't listened to Echoes yet?!!

Meddle is a must have album for PF fans.

Happy listening!