Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: NBA Draft Combine Athletic Test Results: John Wall - 39" vert

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    too much emphasis is put on kids who can jump high rather than guys who show good bball iq.
    I AGREE..

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    too much emphasis is put on kids who can jump high rather than guys who show good bball iq.
    Because a player can become a smarter player throughout their career, but you can't teach raw athleticism (i.e. Josh Smith this season).

National High School Star dough's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by High Roller
    Because a player can become a smarter player throughout their career, but you can't teach raw athleticism (i.e. Josh Smith this season).
    Then again, more players drafted because of athleticism are out of the league after a few years, while smart players have more chances to end up having a long career.

Quote Originally Posted by dough
    Then again, more players drafted because of athleticism are out of the league after a few years, while smart players have more chances to end up having a long career.

I don't agree.

Athleticism and height get more players through the NBA than IQ.

Imo coachability and dedication are key IQ is overrated. If basketball IQ were half as important as you guys make it 99% of the NBA would be out of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    I don't agree.

Athleticism and height get more players through the NBA than IQ.

Imo coachability and dedication are key IQ is overrated. If basketball IQ were half as important as you guys make it 99% of the NBA would be out of a job.
    Stromile Swift, Darius Miles, Eddy Curry vs Lindsey Hunter, Grant Hill, Kurt Thomas, Joe Smith, Kevin Ollie.

Stromile Swift, Darius Miles, Eddy Curry vs Lindsey Hunter, Grant Hill, Kurt Thomas, Joe Smith, Kevin Ollie.

All different cases/scenarios.

Some players look smart on the floor because they are receptive to training and coaching but they are really morons basketball wise and in real life.

How many seasons did Shawn Kemp spend in the league?

Some players look smart on the floor because they are receptive to training and coaching but they are really morons basketball wise and in real life.

Kemp? Too few.

Kemp? Too few.

What I'm saying is that being tall and athletic will get you farther in the NBA than being smart...you just have to be coachable.

If NBA execs were looking for smarts Princeton, Yale, and Harvard would have more NBA alum that UNC, UConn, and Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    A lot of times players prove to have higher verticals than what they recorded in the pre-draft camp.

For example, Dwight Howard had a 35.5" vert at the combine and a 9'3.5" standing reach then we saw him touch 12'6" in the dunk contest and he could probably jump a little higher, but at the very minimum that proved he had a 38.5" vert.
    Demarcus Cousin only has a 27" Vertical Leap.

Kemp? Too few.

On of my HS coaches played against Kemp who went to Concord HS in IN.

He was definitely not know for his academic exploits...and if he would have stayed healthy and stayed away from the booze he would have had a long career.

On of my HS coaches played against Kemp he went to Concord HS in IN.

He was definitely not know for his academic exploits...and if he would have stayed healthy and stayed away from the booze he would have had a long career.
    I see where you're coming from. It will get you drafted more easy BUT if you look at the older NBA players, they're pretty smart players with a good bball IQ in general.

I see where you're coming from. It will get you drafted more easy BUT if you look at the older NBA players, they're pretty smart players with a good bball IQ in general.

My thing is though what exactly is smart/basketballIQ? How many players have the intelligence to stray from the written rules of the coach and do their own thing?

Can you quantify the success that results from good coaching and conversely good basketball IQ then compare it....are they just memorizing plays [being coached] are are they READING plays?

Who knows...I man you can tell when you see it like in Chris Paul and when you don't see it like in Jannero Pargo...but other players I'm not so sure I'd have to be closer to the game.

They haven't drafted many #1 draft picks off of basketball IQ....basketball IQ does not get you max contracts.
    Last edited by Go Getter; 05-28-2010 at 06:23 AM.

My thing is though what exactly is smart/basketballIQ? How many players have the intelligence to stray from the written rules of the coach and do their own thing?

Can you quantify the success that results from good coaching and conversely good basketball IQ then compare it....are they just memorizing plays [being coached] are are they READING plays?

Who knows...I man you can tell when you see it like in Chris Paul and when you don't see it like in Jannero Pargo...but other players I'm not so sure I'd have to be closer to the game.

They haven't drafted many #1 draft picks off of basketball IQ....basketball IQ does not get you max contracts.
    Knowing your strengths, knowing when athleticism fails you, you need to do other things to be assertive. Knowing your role on a team, your influence on the team, helping coach out during pre game situations and time outs. Basically knowing what's needed to win.

And I'm talking about lasting in the league here. Not being drafted or getting a max contract. I'm talking about players who last beyond the hype they get because of a few flashy dunks and a good draft combine.

Athleticism btw, doesnt get you a max contract either, so that's a moot point.

Time Tebow>

What I'm saying is that being tall and athletic will get you farther in the NBA than being smart...you just have to be coachable.

If NBA execs were looking for smarts Princeton, Yale, and Harvard would have more NBA alum that UNC, UConn, and Kentucky.

Receptiveness to coaching is one of the biggest parts of basketball IQ. Not sure why you think its not. Nobody is asking a basketball player to be a rocket scientist, he just needs to be able to think fast and make good decisions on the court, and off the court/when practicing needs to have the intelligence to process what his coaches are telling him so he can work on the weakpoints in his game.