Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park laronprofit9's Avatar

Default Kobe's Greatest Playoff Series

Kobe's Greatest Playoff Hits

(Please Skip to the bottom if you do not wish to read)

After clinching Game 6 of the 2010 WCF against the Phoenix Suns, Kobe has built himself an impressive list of great NBA Playoff Series throughout his career(see below).

Although career averages may say otherwise to a few people, Kobe Bryant has made himself into one of the best NBA Playoff performers of his generation. Historically, Kobe(at the end of 2010 WCF) has given himself 75 30+ point performances in his playoff career with only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Michael Jordan in front of him. Kobe ranks #4 All-Time in Career Playoff Point Totals.

#8 Kobe Bryant's Playoff Career

In his early career, almost all NBA fans remember the #8 Kobe Bryant. Young, Athletic, Cocky, and Talented. As one of the NBA's brightest stars, Kobe was great during the regular season, but he was just a sidekick to Shaq having one of the greatest peaks ever in NBA history. #8 Kobe Bryant was spectacular during the regular season(and Yes, he did have many clutch and memorable moments during the playoffs), but was inconsistent during the playoffs at times. Kobe's only truly consistent playoff run with Shaq, was during the 2001 Playoffs where Kobe averaged 29/7/6.

Although many people will disagree with me, Shaq was clearly #1 on the early 2000's Lakers teams. While still being a superstar and one of the best perimeter players in the league at the time, Kobe was still #2, arguably the greatest #2 option in NBA History.

Kobe didn't have the numbers, consistency, or leadership to be able to guide his team through the playoffs like Shaq. Who could blame him though? He was only 21-23 years old at the time.

Post-Shaq and #24 Kobe Bryant's Playoff Career

Now Post-Shaq Era. Kobe Bryant has a new team and a new number #24. #24 Kobe Bryant has had great statistical averages starting from the 2006 playoffs onwards. The series against the 2010 PHX Suns, proves to me why #24>#8 during the playoffs. Better numbers, and better leadership. Post-Shaq, Kobe Bryant(In My Opinion) has been the best player in the Playoffs. Combining Statistics, Leadership, and Clutch play, no player has been better than post-Shaq Era Kobe Bryant.

At the age of 31, Kobe Bryant has posted arguably the greatest playoff series of his already accomplished career. Averaging 34/7/8 on 52%fg shooting. Many point to 2001 WCF as Kobe's best, but imo 2010 WCF Kobe was even better since Kobe has a higher role and responsibility to his team than his younger 22 year old counterpart. When we look back at Kobe's career, I belive more people will remember his career as #24 rather than #8 due to his higher degree of playoff success individually. Because that's where legends are made.

After the 2010 WCF, I can confidently say Kobe has made himself the best playoff-performer of his generation.

Post-Shaq Era(05-06 Onwards) Kobe Bryant Playoff Averages:
    79 Games:
    29.8 ppg 5.7 rpg 5.4 apg 1.5 spg 0.7 bpg 3.3 tov
    47%FG/35%3p/84%FT/57%TS/51%eFG

Below are Kobe Bryant's Best Playoff series of his career. Which to you, Stands out as the best of his entire career?

2001 2nd Round Playoffs Kobe Bryant vs Sacramento Kings

35.0 ppg 9.0 rpg 4.3 apg 47%fg 20%3P 86%FT

2001 3rd Round Playoffs Kobe Bryant vs San Antonio Spurs

33.3 ppg 7.0 rpg 7.0 apg 51%fg 36%3P 77%FT

2003 1st Round Playoffs Kobe Bryant vs Minnesota Timberwolves

31.8 ppg 5.2 rpg 6.7 apg 43%fg 36%3P 87%FT

2008 1st Round Playoffs Kobe Bryant vs Denver Nuggets

33.5 ppg 5.3 rpg 6.3 apg 50%fg 33%3P 74%FT

2008 2nd Round Playoffs Kobe Bryant vs Utah Jazz

33.2 ppg 7.0 rpg 7.2 apg 49%fg 21%3P 83%FT

2008 3rd Round Playoffs Kobe Bryant vs San Antonio Spurs

29.2 ppg 5.6 rpg 3.8 apg 53%fg 33%3P 91%FT

2009 3rd Round Playoffs Kobe Bryant vs Denver Nuggets

34.0 ppg 5.8 rpg 5.8 apg 48%fg 34%3P 93%FT

2009 NBA Finals Kobe Bryant vs Orlando Magic

32.4 ppg 5.6 rpg 7.4 apg 43%fg 36%3P 84%FT

2010 2nd Round Playoffs Kobe Bryant vs Utah Jazz

32.0 ppg 3.8 rpg 5.8 apg 52%fg 25%3P 87%FT

2010 3rd Round Playoffs Kobe Bryant vs Phoenix Suns

33.7ppg 7.2 rpg 8.3 apg 52%fg 43%3P 88%FT

Note: You may also choose another series that is not mentioned above.
    Last edited by laronprofit9; 10-21-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Kobe's Greatest Playoff Series

it has to be vs phx because frankly how he managed to do that on an abysmal amount of free throws is mind blowing.

Dunking on everybody in the park laronprofit9's Avatar

2010 vs PHX Suns is my answer btw.

Good college starter

I thought last year against the SPurs he did really well.

Yea, but this year against the Suns may be more important because they bigs didn't come out to play and he had to carry them down the stretch.

Banned

i am not gonna hate but lebron has had a way better series then kobe sorry. n its to bad 4 the king his squad isnt good as kobe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OnceInADECADE
    i am not gonna hate but lebron has had a way better series then kobe sorry. n its to bad 4 the king his squad isnt good as kobe
    Wade/Kobe>Lebron

They don't choke.

Derka
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

lol, people like you really should be banned if this is all you can come up with.

Anyway, Kobe in this Phoenix series was unreal.

2010 WCF vs Suns.

Local High School Star KB2009Champ's Avatar

this thread isnt about kobe vs lebron.

Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

He was ridiculously good this series, it's up there as one of his best ever if not best, those stats are insane

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

The quality of the opposition's defense should be taken into account here. So I'll go with the '08 WCF vs. SA. That's excellent efficiency against a VERY good defensive team and from what I recall, majority of the games came down to the wire and Kobe came up big every time. I also don't remember his cast doing a whole lot in that series.

the man is amazing.

National High School Star

Of those series mentioned above I would have to go with 2001 WCF against the Spurs.

If fans can remember the duo of Duncan & Robinson always did a pretty good job on Shaq & if not for Kobe in some of those series the Lakers would have struggled.

If there was a playoff MVP Kobe could have laid cliam to it for what he did to the Spurs especially in the WCF.

Of those mentioned 2001 Spurs.

Banned

We'll how much different his numbers look when he isnt LeIso'ing all game and is put in a real offense.

Of those series mentioned above I would have to go with 2001 WCF against the Spurs.

If fans can remember the duo of Duncan & Robinson always did a pretty good job on Shaq & if not for Kobe in some of those series the Lakers would have struggled.

If there was a playoff MVP Kobe could have laid cliam to it for what he did to the Spurs especially in the WCF.

Of those mentioned 2001 Spurs.
    I agree with this

Banned

07 vs. suns (or was it 06?) when he took them to 7 games was easily the best to me.