Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: Hey, how come I don't get tipped at my job?

Is this an East coast thing? I live in CA and we don'thave this waiters getting paid $3.00 and hour and making the rest in tips stuff that makes you feel it's ok to complain about your job and the costumers.

I've said it before, you can't complain about your tips when you took the job knowing the circumstances. You can't beat logic.

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

I tip, but I hate how the waiters/waitresses rely on it for money. Seriously when you have to rely on the kindness of other people to make a living, that just isn't fair. What if the person isn't going to tip you? You did just as much work that you would if you were going to get tipped, but because the person didn't tip you, you lose money? That's ****ed up.

When I used to deliver pizzas the money I got for gas from the delivery charge was more than a enough on a good night. I got $2.00 for each delivery so on a night I would take 20 deliveries I made a decent amount of side cash, plus what I made for tips on top of minimum wage. This was when oil prices were ridiculously high though so we got more gas money than we typically would.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
    I tip, but I hate how the waiters/waitresses rely on it for money. Seriously when you have to rely on the kindness of other people to make a living, that just isn't fair. What if the person isn't going to tip you? You did just as much work that you would if you were going to get tipped, but because the person didn't tip you, you lose money? That's ****ed up.
    That's basically how it works. Honestly though, do it a while and you get to develop a sense of how much you'll be getting from someone. For me I'd say I'm right 75% of the time when my alarm goes off upon greeting a table and they are Ebinezor Scrooge. Old people, some black people, some euro people where tipping isn't customary where they are from, sometimes dependent on what specials people come out for it can attract a cheap croud.

That's just how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    This was brought up in another tipping thread at some point. A couple of international posters weren't even familiar with the concept of tipping and said they still had no complaints about the service. In Japan I left a tip just out of habit and the server ran outside insisting that I take it back and apologizing to ME, like she had done something wrong.

Yeah because only here do people believe they deserve something for nothing.

This was brought up in another tipping thread at some point. A couple of international posters weren't even familiar with the concept of tipping and said they still had no complaints about the service. In Japan I left a tip just out of habit and the server ran outside insisting that I take it back and apologizing to ME, like she had done something wrong.

Hmm... very interesting to say the least. I wonder where this originated from then.

Blu Ray

Someone tried tipping me the other day. The weird thing is, she just happened to catch me in a good mood, it was my first stop and I wasn't pissed off yet. Any other time and I probably would've ignored her and avoided any contact at all. Usually I've got my hood and sunglasses on and I'm listening to my iPod just thinking about getting home. She was very nice, though, a lot nicer than most people and offered me a five-spot. I refused and I just said I was happy to help. I should've raped her.

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    Someone tried tipping me the other day. The weird thing is, she just happened to catch me in a good mood, it was my first stop and I wasn't pissed off yet. Any other time and I probably would've ignored her and avoided any contact at all. Usually I've got my hood and sunglasses on and I'm listening to my iPod just thinking about getting home. She was very nice, though, a lot nicer than most people and offered me a five-spot. I refused and I just said I was happy to help. I should've raped her.

That came out of nowhere, really creeped up on me

I don't know, but it turned in to a ****ing monster. Now every time someone does something for me, like put my groceries in a bag, I'm sitting there thinking to myself "Should I tip this person? This is their job, but they are providing me with a service."

This is from Wiki:
    "In some other cultures or situations, giving a tip is not expected and offering one would be considered at best odd and at worst condescending or demeaning."

It's weird how other cultures get by just fine without it, yet if we don't tip over here people start shitting on our pizzas and everything falls apart.
    It's not weird, it's down right trifling. Who created this and conditioned people to think that it was okay to pay workers below minimum wage and we would be paying that much anyways since that the food would be more expensive is a genius.

i went to an Amish buffet a couple times in pa and they refuse tips.. in fact they had several signs up saying no tips please.

I'm glad I don't have work at a job where I would ask/need to get tipped. Not surprised that this comes from l kizzle though.

Quote Originally Posted by vapid
    I'm glad I don't have work at a job where I would ask/need to get tipped. Not surprised that this comes from l kizzle though.

Where the hell did that come from?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

Where the hell did that come from?
    No shit. What a total dbag thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    No shit. What a total dbag thing to say.
    Not that it is surprising coming from vapid.

Tipping is an undeniable source of cash flow. It's better than nothing for people whose employers give shit pay but even though I am technically in a cient service role we are expected to give a 110% everyday for the firm acne it would be ludicrous to expect extra compensation for doing my job.