Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Revisiting Iverson`s 00/01 MVP

Banned

Default Revisiting Iverson`s 00/01 MVP

First of all, I want to say I dont hate Allen or anything like that, he has been an inspiration for small ballers like me, who enjoyed his game, his impossible shots, his quality on the court...etc.

With this said, id like to point out a few questions about Iverson`s MVP, which I think was somehow unfair or at least a questionable award when you take in count the level other players like Shaq were showing by the time.

I perfectly know its not everything about stats, and when it comes to Iverson this sentence becomes even more clear, but anyway, I thinks its interesting to show his regular season stats since its going to provide us a reference on what he did, cause its impossible to remember the 82 games of the 76ers that season and all the factors, decisions, intangibles those games had concerning Iverson.

So, here they are:

Allen Iverson 00/01 regular season stats

31.1 ppg, 4.6 apg, 3.8 rpg, 2.5 spg on 42 % shooting, 32 % 3pt shooting and 81 % free-throws.

Impressive, but MVP worthy?

First of all, ive revisited stats of every MVP in the last 20-30 years and if im remembering well nobody shot on a field goal percentage so low. 42 % is a bit low for an MVP in my opinion.

Another thing I see is that 4.6 apg seems a bit too low for a PG or even an undersized SG like Iverson who had some point-guard skills. A clear shooting guard like Wade averaged 7 apg in 08-09, other like Tracy Mcgrady have averaged more than 5 apg, scoring equally than Allen, rebounding more and having better shooting percentages. Both of them, Wade and Mcgrady, had similar or better seasons than 00-01 Iverson and havent won the MVP.

People say: "Wade played with Lebron James and Kobe Bryant, its not the same". Well, this argument falls apart when you see players like Shaq who was on his absolute prime in 00-01, Tim Duncan who was entering if not entered his prime, or even Jason Kidd.

As far as I liked Iverson, I think there was a strong ingredient of marketing in this award, Stern knew (despite all the controversial and bad relationship he had with Allen) that AI was an idol for kids, for the mass of population in general, a marketing machine number one in selling shirts. Allen Iverson`s 00-01 season was fantastic, but his MVP award was a bit forced, just like 05-06 Nash or 07-08 Kobe. Thats my opinion.

KevinDurant4MVP
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Revisiting Iverson`s 00/01 MVP

Stats aint everything breh.
    A.i was carrying scrubs and his impact on game was crazy.
    Had a grip of 50 point games as well

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDurant4MVP
    Stats aint everything breh.
    A.i was carrying scrubs and his impact on game was crazy
    Had a grip of 50 point games as well
    This argument is not valid.

05-06 Kobe, 08-09 Wade and 02-03 T-Mac were carrying scrubs too, and they didnt win the MVP.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by EarlTheGoat
    As far as I liked Iverson, I think there was a strong ingredient of marketing in this award, Stern knew (despite all the controversial and bad relationship he had with Allen) that AI was an idol for kids, for the mass of population in general, a marketing machine number one in selling shirts. Allen Iverson`s 00-01 season was fantastic, but his MVP award was a bit forced, just like 05-06 Nash or 07-08 Kobe. Thats my opinion.
    The ingredient here was Shaq publicly making comments like, "If you don't feed the dog, he won't guard the yard." Or have people forgotten about this every time they talk about the 2000-01 MVP?

Shaq, Duncan, & Kobe were better players than Iverson that year & Shaq should have been the MVP.

Kobe: 29/6/5 46fg%. Elite Defense
    Iverson: 31/4/5 42fg%. Not so great D.

Kobe was a better rebounder, passer, defender, & more efficient scorer than Iverson in 2001. But props to Iverson for leading his team to the Finals

05-06 Kobe, 08-09 Wade and 02-03 T-Mac were carrying scrubs too, and they didnt win the MVP.

The Sixers won 55 games in the 2001 NBA Season. Allen Iverson led the NBA in PPG and SPG.

Banned

f*ck this thread represents everything wrong with the nba forum. everything revolves around stats. its disgusting.

5rings

Iverson deserved the MVP that year. He was just that good at scoring. He shot a low FG% because he was getting to the rim at ease and being challenged by the bigs. I remember most of Iverson's misses would lead to offensive rebounds and put-backs by his teammates. He was a pest when it came to breaking down the defense. With all this said, he was quite the ballhog, very Jordanish, in terms of MJ's earlier years.

Shaq was impressive that year and the Lakers were 15-1 in the playoffs and Finals combined but he had the luxury of playing with Kobe, where Iverson had bums on that team.

Yes, I believe he deserved that MVP and it wasn't forced on us.

Decent college freshman

o'neal was the real mvp that season

o'neal co mvp with duncan would have also been acceptable

chris webber and kevin garnett were also more valuable that iverson

Local High School Star sixerfan3511's Avatar

lol they were barely in the playoffs, Philly was the 1 seed in the East and was tied for the 2nd best record in the league. BIG difference.

Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

Shaq or Kobe shouldn't have been MVP in 01, the team took a step back in the win column that season, they turned it on in the playoffs but really the MVP was Iverson or Duncan.

KevinDurant4MVP

Yeah and they werent the 1 team in there conference.
    If you think Iverson didnt deserve it you must not have watched basketball then.

smh @ these kids

I hate all you morons, he was MVP and he deserved it. If you didn't watch basketball that season then why comment? You really think you're gonna give some new insight into something you don't know about? The sixers were a dangerous team that year taking down a lot of the top teams, and the whole team was based around iverson scoring 30 and no one else. NO ONE. Snow and Mckie were the only scoring help he had, SNOW AND MCKIE. HAVE YOU SEEN SNOW SHOOT???

They had good team D tho.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

The MVP award is a joke every year. It's basically a team achievement award. It goes to the best player on the best regular season team, inevitably. On rare cases that it doesn't, they usually still get it wrong. (See Steve Nash's MVP's)

NBA rookie of the year ashbelly's Avatar

when i start Kobe's final MVP thread, i hope you come in with the same insight bro.. you'll be shocked bro.