Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Default Re: GOAT List: Top 25 Greatest Teams in NBA History

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    The Book is still targeted for June. Right in line with the NBA Finals, though I am pushing for October and the start of the 2011-12 season.
    Excellent news, GOAT, the best i've heard all day. Will you post the remainder of your list or is that going to be exclusive to your book? If so, then I'll post some of my observations/opinions in conjunction to your earlier remarks.

1. 1996 Bulls (potential homer pick?)
    2. 1986 Celtics
    3. 1987 Lakers
    4. 1972 Lakers
    5. 1967 76ers

That's just based on what you've written. I haven't watched any of those teams yet really aside from the 96 Bulls. So I'll probably change this after I watch some finals games from all the other teams.

Default #10: The 1987 Los Angeles Lakers

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]#10 1987 Los Angeles Lakers[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"]Head Coach: Pat Riley
    Most skilled Player: Magic Johnson
    Most Important Player: Magic Johnson
    Other Starters: James Worthy, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Byron Scott, AC Green
    Key Bench Players: Michael Cooper, Mychal Thompson, Kurt Rambis

Regular Season Record: 65-17 (1st Pacific Division)
    Postseason Record: 15-3
    NBA Finals: Beat the Boston Celtics Four games to Two
    Longest Winning Streak: 11 games
    Points Scored per Game: 117.8
    Points Allowed per Game: 108.5[/FONT]

Stats

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Why #10? - Their resume simply doesn't measure up. The Showtime Lakers dominated the 1980's as a whole but never dominated a single season. 1986-87 was as close as they came, but it was not their most talented roster, nor did their competition elevate themselves they way they had in years past. The Lakers played by far the fewest and won by far the fewest percentage of their games against elite competition. They did not play a single team with a .600+ winning percentage in the Western Conference Finals, the only team that gave them trouble, Dallas, who won the season series vs. LA was upset in the first round. Also a disappointment were the Rockets who had over powered the Lakers in the 1986 playoffs.

Magic was at his all-time best yes, but Jabbar had finally found age catching up with him and took by far his most limited role as a Laker. The Lakers acquired Mychal Thompson from San Antonio to split time with Kareem, but he hardly had time to become acclimated to the Lakers and was much better the next year. Even with Thompson in the fold, they were just eight deep and didn't have anyone beyond that eight they were comfortable using.

The two of other three teams from the decade in the top ten swept the Lakers in the Finals during the decade. That was sort of their M.O. during the decade. If no one else was great during a season, the Lakers would win the title. Most of all I think these other nine teams beat them in a seven game series. The '86 Celtics were in such better shape than the '87 team that extended LA to six games. The '89 Pistons beat the same core of players with Orlando Woolridge replacing Rambis. The '67 Sixers front line would greatly overwhelm the Lakers, the '65 Celtics did everything the '87 Lakers did just a little better. The '71 Bucks and '72 Lakers simply have better resumes and had great 1-2 punches at the top and the Lakers didn't have the depth to exploit them. The '83 Sixers, likewise were too big and physical for the Lakers, and the Bulls '92 and '96 teams were even greater than the '91 team that blitzed the older, favored Lakers in those NBA Finals.

There is no question in my mind that this is one of the greatest teams of all-time. However as I looked deeper and deeper into these teams and their special seasons, I didn't see the '87 Lakers jumping off the page the way a lot of these other ball clubs did. The thing that frustrates me the most is that the '85 or '82 Lakers should be in this spot, but those teams never had the clear leader like what magic had become in 1987 to keep them focused and motivated at the level you need to maintain greatness over the 100+ games of an NBA season and playoffs.[/font]
    Last edited by G.O.A.T; 12-12-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Good college starter

Default Re: #10: The 1987 Los Angeles Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]#10 1987 Los Angeles Lakers[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"]Head Coach: Pat Riley
    Most skilled Player: Magic Johnson
    Most Important Player: Magic Johnson
    Other Starters: James Worthy, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Byron Scott, AC Green
    Key Bench Players: Michael Cooper, Mychal Thompson, Kurt Rambis

Regular Season Record: 65-17 (1st Pacific Division)
    Postseason Record: 15-3
    NBA Finals: Beat the Boston Celtics Four games to Two
    Longest Winning Streak: 11 games
    Points Scored per Game: 117.8
    Points Allowed per Game: 108.5[/FONT]

Stats

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Why #10? - Their resume simply doesn't measure up. The Showtime Lakers dominated the 1980's as a whole but never dominated a single season. 1986-87 was as close as they came, but it was not their most talented roster, nor did their competition elevate themselves they way they had in years past. The Lakers played by far the fewest and won by far the fewest percentage of their games against elite competition. They did not play a single team with a .600+ winning percentage in the Western Conference Finals, the only team that gave them trouble, Dallas, who won the season series vs. LA was upset in the first round. Also a disappointment were the Rockets who had over powered the Lakers in the 1986 playoffs.

Magic was at his all-time best yes, but Jabbar had finally found age catching up with him and took by far his most limited role as a Laker. The Lakers acquired Mychal Thompson from San Antonio to split time with Kareem, but he hardly had time to become acclimated to the Lakers and was much better the next year. Even with Thompson in the fold, they were just eight deep and didn't have anyone beyond that eight they were comfortable using.

The two of other three teams from the decade in the top ten swept the Lakers in the Finals during the decade. That was sort of their M.O. during the decade. If no one else was great during a season, the Lakers would win the title. Most of all I think these other nine teams beat them in a seven game series. The '86 Celtics were in such better shape than the '87 team that extended LA to six games. The '89 Pistons beat the same core of players with Orlando Woolridge replacing Rambis. The '67 Sixers front line would greatly overwhelm the Lakers, the '65 Celtics did everything the '87 Lakers did just a little better. The '71 Bucks and '72 Lakers simply have better resumes and had great 1-2 punches at the top and the Lakers didn't have the depth to exploit them. The '83 Sixers, likewise were too big and physical for the Lakers, and the Bulls '92 and '96 teams were even greater than the '91 team that blitzed the older, favored Lakers in those NBA Finals.

There is no question in my mind that this is one of the greatest teams of all-time. However as I looked deeper and deeper into these teams and their special seasons, I didn't see the '87 Lakers jumping off the page the way a lot of these other ball clubs did. The thing that frustrates me the most is that the '85 or '82 Lakers should be in this spot, but those teams never had the clear leader like what magic had become in 1987 to keep them focused and motivated at the level you need to maintain greatness over the 100+ games of an NBA season and playoffs.[/font]
    I think what makes the 87- lakers imo the best team of all time "that I have seen" was the mind set. I dont think any team could have beat them that year. Worthy was at his peek and imo he became a All Time Great . NOt sure how a team of players that were the first to repeat since the Russ Celtics isn't a top 2 or 3 team ?

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: #10: The 1987 Los Angeles Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    I think what makes the 87- lakers imo the best team of all time "that I have seen" was the mind set. I dont think any team could have beat them that year. Worthy was at his peek and imo he became a All Time Great . NOt sure how a team of players that were the first to repeat since the Russ Celtics isn't a top 2 or 3 team ?
    Having read your take a couple of days ago, I am inclined to agree. Magic and Worthy were in their primes, Scott was just coming into his; Kareem was still an offensive force (17.5 ppg on .564 shooting), Thompson was his backup but was among the better centers in the league, and with Kareem gave LA a 28-11 duo per game; the Green-Rambis duo were worth 16-13 every game; and then there was Cooper, who was not only DPOY, but had developed a solid 3 pt shot. That team could outscore teams with a blistering break, or pound them in the half-court with Worthy, Kareem, Scott, and Magic.

They would have given any team matchup problems, including my favorite team, the '72 Lakers.

IMHO, they were at least top-5, and perhaps should be even higher.

bump gonna finish posting these, this month.

Nine teams remaining...

1965 Celtics
    1967 Sixers
    1971 Bucks
    1972 Lakers
    1983 Sixers
    1986 Celtics
    1989 Pistons
    1992 Bulls
    1996 Bulls

I believe 1983 Sixers should be top 5.