Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Default Re: Have you ever punched someone in the face?

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
    Punching someone in the face with your bare fist regardless of your technique will **** up your hand. Most punches don't connect clean and will hit someones head or arm/shoulder/other body part. When you're in a fight you don't feel it because you have a super intense adrenalin rush but bone is really hard. No matter how tough you are you feel that later on.
    That simply isn't true.

It might hurt a tiny little bit, but it isn't some insane intense pain that can't easily be ignored even without adrenaline. You guys are being drama queens.

What's this nonsense about hitting someone's arm or other body part when you're trying to hit them in the face? You must have really bad aim. :P

Once, it was a cheap shot i admit... frustrating basketball game and i let the shit talking get to me. Dude was running back after a fast break.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    That simply isn't true.

It might hurt a tiny little bit, but it isn't some insane intense pain that can't easily be ignored even without adrenaline. You guys are being drama queens.

What's this nonsense about hitting someone's arm or other body part when you're trying to hit them in the face? You must have really bad aim. :P
    Ha, Ive just been in actual fights with dudes who are throwing down and not just standing in front of you with their hands down sticking their chins up in the air.

It might hurt a tiny bit? It does hurt a tiny bit. I honestly am starting to doubt if you've ever punched someone in the face. No offense, I could be wrong but its very easy to break your hands fist fighting.

Why do you think boxers wrap their hands?

Why do you think MMA fighters wear 4 oz gloves?

Ha, Ive just been in actual fights with dudes who are throwing down and not just standing in front of you with their hands down sticking their chins up in the air.

It might hurt a tiny bit? It does hurt a tiny bit. I honestly am starting to doubt if you've ever punched someone in the face. No offense, I could be wrong but its very easy to break your hands fist fighting.

I've never hurt my hand in a fight beyond cutting it on someone's teeth. You can doubt it all you want, but if punching people is hurting you so badly maybe it's because you have weak bones, don't punch properly, and have a low pain tolerance?

Funny exaggeration of how you think my fights went though. You obviously have no idea, and are just mad that you got called out for being a drama queen with bad aim.

I wouldn't say it was that easy to break your hands fist fighting. I've never seen anyone break their hand in a fight. I've been in over 20 not counting ones with my brother, and seen at least 40 others. Nobody involved in any of them broke their hands. I've seen noses and jaws broken. Never hands. Obviously it can happen, I just don't agree it happens "easily".

The way you say it, you make it sound like human hands are made of glass. They're not. They're resistant to damage. Just like kneecaps and elbows are, providing you use them the right ways.

To answer your uninformed question about pro fighters wearing gloves, it's to reduce damage to their faces and prevent easy knockouts. Hand protection is last on the priority list for why they have to weat gloves. Punching someone bare knuckled does immensely more damage than punching them with a boxing glove. Hence, why the gloves with less padding lead to quicker knockouts and more facial damage during fights.

I guarantee you that every boxer on the planet would not wear gloves at all if they had a choice of whether they could wear them or not. Their main purpose is to gimp the damage they deal out.

I'm glad you did bring up MMA though, with their barely padded gloves. How often do they break their hands in fights? Not often. The padding isn't magically giving their hands great protection either.

You probably just have a low pain tolerance and perhaps even calcium deficiancies if you're breaking your hands and are in a lot of pain any time you punch people. I'm not trying to make fun of you, just letting you know that not everyone reacts the same way as you do when they throw punches.

this guy

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact
    this guy
    He thinks human hands are made of glass, and that it causes imense pain if you hit someone.

Good High School Starter

I've never hurt my hand in a fight beyond cutting it on someone's teeth. You can doubt it all you want, but if punching people is hurting you so badly maybe it's because you have weak bones, don't punch properly, and have a low pain tolerance?

Funny exaggeration of how you think my fights went though. You obviously have no idea, and are just mad that you got called out for being a drama queen with bad aim.

I wouldn't say it was that easy to break your hands fist fighting. I've never seen anyone break their hand in a fight. I've been in over 20 not counting ones with my brother, and seen at least 40 others. Nobody involved in any of them broke their hands. I've seen noses and jaws broken. Never hands. Obviously it can happen, I just don't agree it happens "easily".

The way you say it, you make it sound like human hands are made of glass. They're not. They're resistant to damage. Just like kneecaps and elbows are, providing you use them the right ways.

To answer your uninformed question about pro fighters wearing gloves, it's to reduce damage to their faces and prevent easy knockouts. Hand protection is last on the priority list for why they have to weat gloves. Punching someone bare knuckled does immensely more damage than punching them with a boxing glove. Hence, why the gloves with less padding lead to quicker knockouts and more facial damage during fights.

I guarantee you that every boxer on the planet would not wear gloves at all if they had a choice of whether they could wear them or not. Their main purpose is to gimp the damage they deal out.

I'm glad you did bring up MMA though, with their barely padded gloves. How often do they break their hands in fights? Not often. The padding isn't magically giving their hands great protection either.

You probably just have a low pain tolerance and perhaps even calcium deficiancies if you're breaking your hands and are in a lot of pain any time you punch people. I'm not trying to make fun of you, just letting you know that not everyone reacts the same way as you do when they throw punches.
    Basically what it boils down to is the difference between actually punching someone in the face and pretending you do on an internet forum.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0075420AAepONk

MMA fighters break their hands very often. It's one of the more common injuries in the sport you poser.

The collision between head and fist doesn't always favor the fist.

Brian Bowles couldn't come out of his corner for the third round of his World Extreme Cagefighting bantamweight title defense against Dominick Cruz on Saturday because of a broken right hand. That follows a broken left hand he suffered in winning the title against Miguel Angel Torres in August.

"I've had a couple of broken hands, and I've just got to let it get better," Bowles said after the fight.

Other recent WEC champions have had similar misfortune. Urijah Faber broke both hands trying to regain his featherweight belt from Mike Brown, continuing to fight while throwing few punches and more elbows. WEC created an interim lightweight belt while waiting for Jamie Varner's hand to heal.

Despite WEC's run of bad luck, hand injuries aren't the most common in mixed martial arts. Nor are hands necessarily more likely to break in MMA than in boxing. A survey of 2009 medical suspensions in Nevada found at least one hand injury on each of five major cards, while five hand injuries were recorded in nine UFC and WEC cards. Most MMA suspensions were for lacerations or knockouts.

Yet the hand is the offensive weapon most likely to be injured in a fight, and MMA fighters' hands are vulnerable for a couple of reasons. The starting point is the glove.

"The primary purpose of a glove is to protect the hand of the person wearing it," says Johnny Benjamin, a doctor who writes the "Ask the Doc" feature for MMAJunkie.com. "Smaller 4-ounce MMA gloves provide far less protection than 12-ounce boxing gloves."

Hitting with the strongest part of the hand can help. Looping punches are risky, Benjamin says.

"Proper technique utilizes a straight line with impact on the first two knuckles (the two knuckles closest to the thumb with very little if any involvement of the other two knuckles)," Benjamin says.

Faber apparently missed a punch against Brown. X-rays he posted of his broken right hand showed a clean break in his fourth metacarpal, which connects the wrist to the ring finger.

Common or not, hand injuries can keep fighters out of action for a while. Bowles went seven months between fights after beating Torres for the title. Varner spent nearly a year out of action when his reset bone didn't heal properly.

"It's been such a long, drawn-out thing," Varner said in October as he returned to training.
    Do you really want to continue with this?

Good High School Starter

He thinks human hands are made of glass, and that it causes imense pain if you hit someone.
    More like I'm not some geek who is into anime and spins fables on forums during their down time.

Basically what it boils down to is the difference between actually punching someone in the face and pretending you do on an internet forum.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0075420AAepONk

MMA fighters break their hands very often. It's one of the more common injuries in the sport you poser.

Do you really want to continue with this?
    No shit it's one of the most common injuries in a sport where the main thing you do is punch people 50-100 times in a fight. That's like saying leg and ankle injuries are the most common injuries for runners.

You haven't proved anything.

When you make a tight fist rather than a loose one, you don't hurt yourself much when you hit people. Period.

Stop acting like I denied that you can break your hand. The thing in question was if it hurts a lot when you punch someone, and the answer is that it does not. Breaking your hand is a side effect that -CAN- happen, but does NOT happen for the large majority of punches that are delivered. If I could put odds to the likelyhood of breaking your hand by punching someone in the face bare knuckled, it would be less than 5% easily.

More like I'm not some geek who is into anime and spins fables on forums during their down time.
    Just a geek who can't throw a punch without breaking your hand or doubling over in pain?

Good High School Starter

Have you ever heard of a boxers fracture you tool?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer%27s_fracture

Have you ever heard of a boxers fracture you tool?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer%27s_fracture
    And my reply to that is something I've already said.

Stop acting like I denied that you can break your hand. The thing in question was if it hurts a lot when you punch someone, and the answer is that it does not.
    You aren't making any points that are relevant to what's being discussed.

Are you really comparing the hand of a boxer to the hand of the average person? LOL

Good High School Starter

let's just keep with it since you still wanna ride it out:

I'll second the short answer.

Most people who get in real fights (as opposed to Hollywood fights) are either lucky, not swinging hard enough or hit the jaw (which has a lot of 'give').

I have broken hand bones hitting someone in the head.

See the UFC. In the early years many fighters broke their hands until 'Tank"Abbot started using gloves to protect his hands. Many followed, then it became mandatory.
    How is it you can punch someone and not break your hand? The human skull is pretty hard, is there a certain technique that is used?
    Avoid hitting the skull.
    I x-ray at least 4 or 5 people a week who typically get drunk or angry (or both!) and then hit a wall/door/car/lamp post or other hard object with a wild swing and connect with their 4th and 5th metacarpals and break their bones. If they had hit straight, there would have been a lesser chance of fracturing the 2nd and 3rd metacarpal heads. I almost never see 2nd or 3rd MC head fractures. It's the curved swing and connecting with the outside of the hand that causes the problem 9 times out of 10 in my experience.

So even with gloves on, the sheer force of the punches thrown in an arc and the connection with solid body parts exerts enough force on the 4th and 5th metacarpal heads to cause fractures. Straight punches would virtually eliminate this injury, but boxing is in love with hooks.
    Boxers Wrap there hands to protect there knuckles, wrist and the small back bones in their hand. if they didnt do that there would be many hand injuries
    more?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5201558AA117IR

Good High School Starter

And my reply to that is something I've already said.

You aren't making any points that are relevant to what's being discussed.
    post a pic.

let's just keep with it since you still wanna ride it out
    I can't let out a big enough sigh that would encompass the depressing attempt an an argument you're making.

Every source you've posted so far has almost nothing to do with what we're talking about. You keep posting UFC and WBA sources who are talking about pro athletes that punch hundreds of times during a fight, at far greater force than the average person. Which means, it's completely irrelevant in a discussion about whether or not punches can be thrown and landed with very minimal pain to the puncher.

You've posted zero sources which refute that, the topic of discussion. You keep posting sources about bone breaks, which is something that hasn't been refuted once.

The funnist thing of all is, you're posting sources that contain points i've already made, and are acting like it somehow helps your argument. For example:

Karate and Tae kwon-do practitioners avoid this injury by striking with straight punches using the knuckles of the index and middle fingers. It has been concluded through martial arts training that punching with the tightest possible clenched fist can prevent this type of fracture as well
    When you make a tight fist rather than a loose one, you don't hurt yourself much when you hit people. Period.
    But I guess I don't know what I'm talking about, right?

Throw your punches properly and they're not going to hurt you much.

It's sad that you spent ten minutes looking up sources only to not even make a relevant point.

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact
    Are you really comparing the hand of a boxer to the hand of the average person? LOL
    Of course he is. Boxers, who throw punches MUCH harder than the average person, I might add. He can't refute the actual point that myself and others have already made, so he's just posting irrelevant sites now to create the illusion that he's somehow "owning" someone since he can't make a logical, factual point in his own words to refute what's actually being discussed. It's embarrassing, and is the easiest way to know whether or not someone's talking out of their ass.