Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Can Chinese people tell the difference between Chinese & Japanese people?

or vice versa without hearing them speak? I've always wondered about this. If I were Tokyo native entering a Dim Sum joint in the heart of Chinatown, will they hosts be able to pick up on my nationality or at the very least know that I am not Chinese?

Decent playground baller nolebball's Avatar

Default Re: Can Chinese people tell the difference between Chinese & Japanese people?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    or vice versa without hearing them speak? I've always wondered about this. If I were Tokyo native entering a Dim Sum joint in the heart of Chinatown, will they hosts be able to pick up on my nationality or at the very least know that I am not Chinese?
    Can you determine whether or not a white male is American or Canadian without hearing their voice?

No such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people......

Operat.Northwoods=9/11 Horde of Temujin's Avatar

Default Re: Can Chinese people tell the difference between Chinese & Japanese people?

Generally you can tell them apart, Koreans, Japanese and Chinese have distinct features

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    Even if i hear you speaking i wont be able to tell the difference. There are so many typical asian ethnicities vietnamese, korean, chinese, japanese its pretty hard for me to make a difference. No offence.

Quote Originally Posted by nolebball
    Can you determine whether or not a white male is American or Canadian without hearing their voice?

No such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people......
    Japanese and Chinese are both nationalities as well as ethnicities.

Canadian and American are only nationalities.

Your second line is definitely correct. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin

I was going on the terms that Asian and White are races. Regardless of whether or not Japanese and Chinese are also ethnicities, you can only determine someone's race by looking at them, not their ethnicities.

Yes, on a fairly consistent basis. Different facial features as well as fashion sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin

USA doesnt have a nation

I was going on the terms that Asian and White are races. Regardless of whether or not Japanese and Chinese are also ethnicities, you can only determine someone's race by looking at them, not their ethnicities.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think that made no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    wut. I think you must have misunderstood.
    A nation is a group of people who share culture, ethnic origin and language, often possessing or seeking its own independent government.
    Its nation of nations. It consists of other nations. It doesnt have its own root or something its a mixture of nations that settled 2-3 hundreds years ago and the people that have been settling since then.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think that made no sense at all.
    My point is that when you look at any human being, you instantly see their race. You can't see their ethnicity or their nationality. If you saw a white guy wearing a white shirt and some basketball shorts, you'd have no idea what his nationality or ethnicity is. But you would know he is white. It's really not that hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    You're getting ethnicity and nationality mixed up.
    One nation should consist of only one ethnicity. In case you dont belong to the ethinicity of the country you live in you are just a citizen of the country nothing more.

My point is that when you look at any human being, you instantly see their race. You can't see their ethnicity or their nationality. If you saw a white guy wearing a white shirt and some basketball shorts, you'd have no idea what his nationality or ethnicity is. But you would know he is white. It's really not that hard to understand.
    It actually is kind of hard to understand if you consider the fact that your arguments are completely wrong and nonsensical. Who taught you these so called visual rules? You're just rambling on with stupidities and it hurts my head to even debate this.

There's a difference in physical appearance between an anglo saxon and a greek, or a turk, or an eastern european, or a spaniard, so on and so forth...there's a difference between a cambodian and a philippino and a chinese. There's difference between mexicans and colombians, etc, etc.

If you can't see the difference between a white dude and another white dude it's because you lack an attention to detail and not because there's only four or five human body prototypes

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    It actually is kind of hard to understand if you consider the fact that your arguments are completely wrong and nonsensical. Who taught you these so called visual rules? You're just rambling on with stupidities and it hurts my head to even debate this.

There's a difference in physical appearance between an anglo saxon and a greek, or a turk, or an eastern european, or a spaniard, so on and so forth...there's a difference between a cambodian and a philippino and a chinese. There's difference between mexicans and colombians, etc, etc.

If you can't see the difference between a white dude and another white dude it's because you lack an attention to detail and not because there's only four or five human body prototypes
    I'm well aware ethnicities generally have specific physical traits, but is it impossible for some of these ethnic traits to be displayed on someone of another ethnicity? Is it impossible for a Turk to look like a Greek? Colombians like Venezuelans?

When determining someone's ethnicity based solely on appearance, you're going off of major generalizations about whichever ethnicity you choose. These traits are entirely not definitive. It's a guessing game. Many Hispanic people think my girlfriend looks Argentinian, yet she is 100% Colombian. When you are determining someone's race, it is pretty straight forward.

More difficult if they are all asian-american, since mannerisms and clothing would be much more similar.