Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Can Chinese people tell the difference between Chinese & Japanese people?

Quote Originally Posted by nolebball
    My point is that when you look at any human being, you instantly see their race. You can't see their ethnicity or their nationality. If you saw a white guy wearing a white shirt and some basketball shorts, you'd have no idea what his nationality or ethnicity is. But you would know he is white. It's really not that hard to understand.
    That's not what you originally said, but I'm not gonna get too deep into these semantics.

Decent playground baller nolebball's Avatar

Default Re: Can Chinese people tell the difference between Chinese & Japanese people?

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    That's not what you originally said, but I'm not gonna get too deep into these semantics.
    Yeah I mean it's definitely true that each ethnicity comes with their general physical traits, but I was shooting for a definitive knowledge of the ethnicity. Sorry that wasn't clear

Its like asking if you can tell a black guy from an african. Of course you can, just ask them what they're more scared of police or aids.

Banned

Chinese names are usually: ching, chong, hong, hi...etc.

Japanese names are usually: hidetoshi, yamamoto, takeshi...etc

I can generally differentiate between Chinese, Korean and Japanese just by looking most of the time. They have different facial structure, clothings, hairdo and demeanor.

Good college starter Noob Saibot's Avatar

Japanese people are hairy & Chinese people are not.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

i can usually identify chinese, korean, japanese people just by looking at them. the hard ones are the short,fat koreans :/

Local High School Star

I would say you can't really tell them apart. True, there are some that look like "japanese", but they are chinese with these so called "japanese" features and japanese with the "chinese" features. In the end, there's no real way to tell them apart unless they speak, or the manner they act.

Lol..

I can tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese (and Korean and Vietnamese).

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I can tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese (and Korean and Vietnamese).
    No you can't actually. Anyway the world is so intermixed it doesn't really matter. Chinese might have Japanese ancenstry and vice versa.

Bol'd over

Because I work in a school whose students are predominantly Japanese and Korean and live in a predominantly Chineses country, I've found that it is surprisingly easy to tell the difference based on facial features/appearance alone.

Future D1 Dad

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    I can generally differentiate between Chinese, Korean and Japanese just by looking most of the time. They have different facial structure, clothings, hairdo and demeanor.
    don't forget fighting styles. that's important.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

if you include the way they dress..i mean tourists that are from either japan,korea, china and lived there for most of their lives, then i can definitely tell them apart

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    or vice versa without hearing them speak? I've always wondered about this. If I were Tokyo native entering a Dim Sum joint in the heart of Chinatown, will they hosts be able to pick up on my nationality or at the very least know that I am not Chinese?
    They can easily. Even I can tell the difference most times, even between them, koreans, filipinos, etc. If you watch movies, even martial arts movies, where they have both chinese and japanese people in them, it's pretty easy to tell them apart generally. Chinese tend to be slightly darker overall, have slightly smaller foreheads and eyes, and other features that make it easier to tell them apart. At least when it comes to men. Sometimes the women can look similar.

They can look similar sometimes, but unless you simply haven't seen many of them, it's not that hard to tell the difference.

Like some other posters have said, nobody could tell the difference between us and canadians, or us and brits without us talking. It's much more awkward in those cases since we're all basically the same race. They're not though. They're just from the same genetic branch of human being.

Think of it like. . .they were all the same race at one point, but split apart a long ass time ago and by not interbreeding, they have developed differences in appearance. That's why they look kind of similar, but still different. Meanwhile us, canadians, and brits, were from the same genetic pool only until fairly recently. Therefore we look exactly the same still. Over time, we will be distinguishable from brits.