Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to recover from bad games

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    Yeah, I know I can do alot of things but usually other people can do them better, so I play off the ball and take what the D gives me. I'm not a good enough ball handler to bring the ball up, so I let the varsity PG do that. I'm not a good enough shooter to gun it every time, so I don't shoot too much. For the most part, I'm basically and off-ball point guard.

I'm working on creation skills because normally what happens is the guy bringing the ball up is a better scorer and I'm a more willing passer so I'm the PG who doesn't bring the ball up.

I'm a good defender though, if it weren't for my size I'd be much better. I'm not heavy enough so it's a liability in the post but I'm good at making reads and not biting on fakes/gambling on steals.
    thats basically what I am too a off ball PG. I am trying to just learn how to score off the ball. Mostly I really do damage when I have the ball in my hands but I have to learn to play alongside a good PG

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    thats basically what I am too a off ball PG. I am trying to just learn how to score off the ball. Mostly I really do damage when I have the ball in my hands but I have to learn to play alongside a good PG
    Same - but this shows we're pretty versatile I'd say. I mean it provides better options for a team if a player can play both the 1 and the 2, so in the end you get more time because of the amount of positions you can play.

I think that's something I do well: I can run the point well, but I can also play off the ball well. So there's never an issue if another player wants to bring it up or if I need to facilitate. I do need to work on creation though, for the most part, I either give the ball to the best scorer or I drive then kick out. I can't seem to make plays where my teammate is close to the basket (bad movement?), almost all my assists are open jump shots.

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    Same - but this shows we're pretty versatile I'd say. I mean it provides better options for a team if a player can play both the 1 and the 2, so in the end you get more time because of the amount of positions you can play.

I think that's something I do well: I can run the point well, but I can also play off the ball well. So there's never an issue if another player wants to bring it up or if I need to facilitate. I do need to work on creation though, for the most part, I either give the ball to the best scorer or I drive then kick out. I can't seem to make plays where my teammate is close to the basket (bad movement?), almost all my assists are open jump shots.
    It definitely helps to have people cutting at the right time. Just yesterday this small guy drove to the basket from the top of the key and my friend cut baseline to the basket and got behind his man... easy dish for a reverse layup. When you have people like that on your team who cut at the right time (I'm willing to bet his guy was ball watching so it was easy to cut right behind him), you can really rack up the assists.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

I need to play or have a good session after a bad game to recover. IT can be a shootaround, one on one or pick up ball but I always try to get back on the court as soon as I can to feel better.

Just continue shooting in the 2nd game. And Don't think about the results of the previous game.

Banned

How about actually practicing. No way I'd let myself play poorly... I'd practice for 20 hours straight before I'd let myself have another bad game. I guess that's the difference between you and I though. I know how not to have bad games and know how to put things in my control. Watch film... get inspired...go way beyond the norm. You should be practicing at least 4-6 hours every single day. Double that on the weekends

edit: i'm 6 years too late, OP has already failed

Quote Originally Posted by HenryGarfunkle
    How about actually practicing. No way I'd let myself play poorly... I'd practice for 20 hours straight before I'd let myself have another bad game. I guess that's the difference between you and I though. I know how not to have bad games and know how to put things in my control. Watch film... get inspired...go way beyond the norm. You should be practicing at least 4-6 hours every single day. Double that on the weekends

Truth though

Practice and don't give a shit.

Greatest Of All Time Baller1986's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clipps
    Practice and don't give a shit.

This

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HenryGarfunkle

Budadii acting like he has game.