Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
    Complete Player

Default Re: Derrick Rose:"Why can't i be MVP?"

Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    Why not? Steve Nash already set the precedent that you can be MVP without being a top 5 player.

Sure, there's many retired all-time-greats-- and all-time-great PGs at that-- who never never sniffed the award like Isiah and John Stockton, as well as future greats like Wade and possibly D. Howard who may very well never win it. But, hey, if the olfactory-challenged voters think that it passes the smell-test to have the name Rose added to the list of MVPs when the aforementioned names aren't on the list, then who am I to argue?

In fact, let's try to get Ginobli one too! Start the Manu in 2012 campaign now, since we're gonna be giving them out to just about anybody now (except some of the greatest players who have ever played this game)....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA#t=0m23s

Very good NBA starter

Why not? Steve Nash already set the precedent that you can be MVP without being a top 5 player.

Sure, there's many retired all-time-greats-- and all-time-great PGs at that-- who never never sniffed the award like Isiah and John Stockton, as well as future greats like Wade and possibly D. Howard who may very well never win it. But, hey, if the olfactory-challenged voters think that it passes the smell-test to have the name Rose added to the list of MVPs when the aforementioned names aren't on the list, then who am I to argue?

In fact, let's try to get Ginobli one too! Start the Manu in 2012 campaign now, since we're gonna be giving them out to just about anybody now (except some of the greatest players who have ever played this game)....
    Name these five players better then Rose this season.

The Holy Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Name these five players better then Rose this season.
    LeBron, Wade, Howard, and Durant have all been better on the season. Arguably, you could say Rose has been #5 this year, but when I say he's not top 5, I mean overall. Rose may be having a better year than Kobe, but he's not better than him.

I also don't know what to do with Chris Paul because his talent is on another level from any other PG in the league, but he doesn't have the stats to match this year. Except in terms of efficiency, he does in fact validate his standing as the best PG in the league.

However, as my previous post implied I have a problem with a player getting an MVP early in their tenure of playing MVP-ball when there are other players who have played at that level over a long period of time. Wade has been an MVP-level player for six out of his eight years now. Dwight has probably been one for four years.

Technically-speaking, of course, the MVP is a single-season award and career accomplishments don't warrant consideration. But, the reality is the MVP award along with championship rings are the biggest criteria in evaluating a player's career-greatness. And for that reason it does not seem right at all at this point to see then name Rose or Stoudemire on this exclusive list when the name Wade or Howard-- not to mention Stockton, Thomas, etc.-- does not appear....

The Holy Trinity

Or another way to look at this is to consider Chris Paul's 08 and 09 seasons where he didn't win MVP. Those were MVP-worthy seasons at the point guard position. Maybe I'm alone on this, but if Rose wins an MVP with his numbers and a sub-23 PER, and CP couldn't get one with the numbers he posted and a PER of 30+, it's a travesty (to say nothing of what that makes Nash's MVPs look like)....

ETA: Or yet one more to think about this is would Rose even be in the discussion if LeBron and Wade weren't teammates? No, it would be a two-man race between the two of them. Both of them would be averaging 30/7 with PERs of 30-31 (It's pretty damn impressive that LeBron/Wade are #1 and #2 in the league in PER as it is, since PER is somewhat of a zero-sum stat). Whatever team LeBron was on would be one of the top teams in the conference as would the Heat squad that featured a (probable, based on LeBron-less off-season projection) lineup of Felton/Wade/Miller/Bosh/Haywood...
    Last edited by jrong; 01-18-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Very good NBA starter

LeBron, Wade, Howard, and Durant have all been better on the season. Arguably, you could say Rose has been #5 this year, but when I say he's not top 5, I mean overall. Rose may be having a better year than Kobe, but he's not better than him.

I also don't know what to do with Chris Paul because his talent is on another level from any other PG in the league, but he doesn't have the stats to match this year. Except in terms of efficiency, he does in fact validate his standing as the best PG in the league.

However, as my previous post implied I have a problem with a player getting an MVP early in their tenure of playing MVP-ball when there are other players who have played at that level over a long period of time. Wade has been an MVP-level player for six out of his eight years now. Dwight has probably been one for four years.

Technically-speaking, of course, the MVP is a single-season award and career accomplishments don't warrant consideration. But, the reality is the MVP award along with championship rings are the biggest criteria in evaluating a player's career-greatness. And for that reason it does not seem right at all at this point to see then name Rose or Stoudemire on this exclusive list when the name Wade or Howard-- not to mention Stockton, Thomas, etc.-- does not appear....
    Say what? The mvp is a season award and who ever plays the best gets it. If Dwight and Wade wanted a Mbps they should of outplayed LJ. MVP isn't a career award, that's what the Hot is far. Rose combination of consistent play throughout the entire season, clutch ability, record with injuries to hid 2nd/3rd best players, and improvement on defense should get him a Mvp. Wade and Durant didn't start off well and Kobe isn't winning at all. Also what makes you think Rose won't be a all-time great? With his work ethic and continued improvement every season?
    Last edited by juju151111; 01-18-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Very good NBA starter

Or another way to look at this is to consider Chris Paul's 08 and 09 seasons where he didn't win MVP. Those were MVP-worthy seasons at the point guard position. Maybe I'm alone on this, but if Rose wins an MVP with his numbers and a sub-23 PER, and CP couldn't get one with the numbers he posted and a PER of 30+, it's a travesty (to say nothing of what that makes Nash's MVPs look like)....

ETA: Or yet one more to think about this is would Rose even be in the discussion if LeBron and Wade weren't teammates? No, it would be a two-man race between the two of them. Both of them would be averaging 30/7 with PERs of 30-31 (It's pretty damn impressive that LeBron/Wade are #1 and #2 in the league in PER as it is, since PER is somewhat of a zero-sum stat). Whatever team LeBron was on would be one of the top teams in the conference as would the Heat squad that featured a (probable, based on LeBron-less off-season projection) lineup of Felton/Wade/Miller/Bosh/Haywood...
    The media put the 08 Mvp on that late season gm with LA vs Hornet. They were close with Kobe right behind him in Mvp discussion, but Kobe won because of that matchup. Also this isn't 08,09, or 10. The fact is DR continues to be doing the best so far this season.

The Holy Trinity

Right, the MVP award literally signifies the most valuable player for a single-season. But, what it actually comes to represent is validation of a player's overall-greatness for his career. An MVP is a veritable automatic-ticket to the Hall of Fame.

And as I said, there is at least one all-time-great (Wade) playing who doesn't have one and quite possible two or three (Howard, Paul). And seeing as an MVP does come to represent so much more than recognition for single-season performance, I'm uncomfortable with the idea that a player would be given such a career-distinction in their first year of MVP-level play (and we're not exactly talking about a Chris Paul in 08 MVP-level debut season either here) when there are others who have been playing that way for most of their careers who haven't gotten it.

But, then again, I'm one of those who thinks it's a joke that Nash has two MVPs and Shaq and Kobe only have one...

ETA: It's entirely possible that Rose could become one of the greats. But, he's just starting on that path. There are others who are well on their way, having already carved out legacies that are on a historic-level trajectory....
    Last edited by jrong; 01-18-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Good college starter

too early to bump?

Quote Originally Posted by VishaltotheG
    too early to bump?

Learning to shoot layups

Banned

Bulls fans...

Banned

this scrub needs to learn his place in the pecking order, who the phuck is derek rose and who the phuck are the chicago bulls

Quote Originally Posted by dr8ked
    Because your team won't have enough wins to top out the Heat/Orlando/lakers/Celtics/Thunder

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
    fans are so delusional it is simply unreal. It is a good thing they have to actual perform, just because you say it doesn't mean it will happen.

I don't know what is more ludacris Rose averaging 25+ ppg while dishing 8 assists or Rose shooting over 30 % 3pt or Rose shooting 85% FT this entire year. It is like damned if you damned if you don't or Bulls win 53 games.

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Dude basically stopped making threads after OJ Mayo got moved to the bench....if dude ever plays well or even has a good game he'll come back.