Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Bulls and Noah agree to 5 year, 60 million deal

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
    That's what I was wondering too.
    I guess the only two things I can think of are, another team offers way to high an offer and Chicago gets cold feet about matching or.... There's also so much uncertainty with the new CBA.. maybe it's better they extend him now and let him get grandfathered in?
    Still, what teams even have the cap space to offer Noah a contract bigger than what he just agreed to? NJ and NY are the only two I'm aware of. NJ wasn't going after him and I'd doubt NY would pull out an offer that big.

Quote Originally Posted by craiye
    Still, what teams even have the cap space to offer Noah a contract bigger than what he just agreed to? NJ and NY are the only two I'm aware of. NJ wasn't going after him and I'd doubt NY would pull out an offer that big.
    Indiana
    Sacramento
    Washington
    LAC
    NY
    NJ
    Minny
    Toronto
    Cleveland

..maybe others, but I could be wrong on some of those.

Contracts are relative to each other.

Everyone gets "overpaid" or so we think, but it's market value. It's what GMs are willing to give out. I also used examples of contracts given out this summer, so it truly is market value. I'm not comparing him to Iggy or Brand or contracts given out years ago.

I think it's easier to look back and say someone is overpaid, like a Brand, but for now, Noah got market value as the contracts of his peers show.

It's a lot of money, but it's not overpaid. If Chicago did not pay him that, someone else would have gladly.
    It is overpaid because other players got overpaid in the process. What he is getting paid his performance on the court will not scream "Worth it!". But I'm forced to believe it is because Haywood got a ridiculous contract? Uhh ok. Because another team would have overpaid him if Chicago didnt makes it ok? Uhh ok part II.

Noah is gonna have to improve his offensive game this season to earn this deal.

Local High School Star

Indiana
    Sacramento
    Washington
    LAC
    NY
    NJ
    Minny
    Toronto
    Cleveland

..maybe others, but I could be wrong on some of those.
    Which of those teams would really make a run at Noah though?

Sacramento, LAC, Washington, Indiana and NJ already have good players or prospects at C. I don't see NY getting terribly exited by Noah, they'll try for Melo. Noah doesn't play PG or PF so Minny is out.

Toronto and Cleveland are the only two that have a need. I don't see Cleveland blowing big money on Noah without any other big time player (plus he's too redundant with Andy). Toronto is the only one I think may make a serious offer, but I'm not sure Noah would even seriously consider playing there. He seems to like the bright lights of the big city.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    It is overpaid because other players got overpaid in the process. What he is getting paid his performance on the court will not scream "Worth it!". But I'm forced to believe it is because Haywood got a ridiculous contract? Uhh ok. Because another team would have overpaid him if Chicago didnt makes it ok? Uhh ok part II.

All the players are overpaid.

60 Mil isn't a gross deal, non Bull's fans underrate what Noah brings to the table.

We're known as a cheap franchise yet we overpay(ed) Kirk, Deng, and Noah.

I guess now we can debunk the myth that the Bulls are a cheap and disloyal franchise we just put a lot of faith and coin into Joakim.

The board is going to go nuts when Rose gets his deal.
    Last edited by Go Getter; 10-04-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Like I said it's all relative.
    Noah got paid a fair deal relative to his peers.. both 2010 free agents and big men.. they are paid a lot, but not overpaid, as the market dictates.
    Supply and demand in the marketplace will set the price. Noah got a fair, non-overpaid deal.

Meanwhile list me some C's in the past 2 years or so that got paid, and are underpaid or paid fairly according to you.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Time to go on record.

Noah will never play well enough to actually earn that huge contract.

60 mil is not a huge contract...you exaggerate.

Previous contracts set the market value. It's not like we have an index that tells us exactly how much each player is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Previous contracts set the market value. It's not like we have an index that tells us exactly how much each player is worth.
    We have a max set/designated for franchise players. We have an idea of who is worth what. $12mil a year for Noah when the max is $16mil and some change? Ummm yeah, he's not overpaid. I guess that energy and hustle is worth more than I'm giving him credit for. Tell me, can Noah score or does he rely on garbage buckets? Is Noah a DPOY caliber talent? But he does something that is worth $12mil per. Oh wait, no he doesnt. He's just fallin in line with other moronic contracts given out by GMs. So therefore one cant criticize nor label his deal as overpaid. Silly me.

Noah got a fair, non-overpaid deal
    No he got overpaid. Keep arguing tho.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    60 mil is not a huge contract...you exaggerate.
    12m a year for a guy who's only reached 10/10 once in his career, and a second best season of 7/7, with injury issues who's never played more than 30 mins a game for a season and a history of getting in foul trouble constantly, is certainly huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    All the players are overpaid.

60 Mil isn't a gross deal, non Bull's fans underrate what Noah brings to the table.

We're known as a cheap franchise yet we overpay(ed) Kirk, Deng, and Noah.

I guess now we can debunk the myth that the Bulls are a cheap and disloyal franchise we just put a lot of faith and coin into Joakim.

The board is going to go nuts when Rose gets his deal.
    What does he bring to the table worth $12mil?

If your argument revolves around what player x,y,z got for contracts and how Noah is better? Then that wouldnt explain what Noah brings to the table. This is the only argument I'm recieving. So and so got this so what Noah got is ok. Its like since Noah deal broke as news? The word overpaid no longer exists when talkin about NBA players and thier contracts.
    Last edited by GOBB; 10-04-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Everyone who keeps saying "why sign him now? the cap's going down." Remember when this year's cap was going to "drastically decrease?" Then it went up? Until I the new CBA's ratified by both sides it's pretty pointless to speculate, no matter what kind of numbers the league puts out about how bad they're hurting since they've clearly been wrong about that in the past.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

What does he bring to the table worth $12mil?

If your argument revolves around what player x,y,z got for contracts and how Noah is better? Then that wouldnt explain what Noah brings to the table. This is the only argument I'm recieving. So and so got this so what Noah got is ok. Its like since Noah deal broke as news? There word overpaid no longer exists when talkin about NBA players and thier contracts.
    Do you understand the laws of supply and demand? Noah, imo is not a great center but look at the league right now! Try and name the best centers in the league~marc gasol, bynum, lopez, bogut etc. Point is that all these guys aren't that good or are still unproven. Big men, and more specifically, centers are very hard to come by in this league right now so when the demand is high and the supply is low, the price or equillibrium market value will be pushed up because the item in question will be more valuable/harder to attain. Noah deserved the deal. And btw, with your logic you could make a case that all nba players are overpaid which is worthless to argue really.

I remember the outrage when the Clippers gave Kaman his extension, but with these deals being given out left and right, I'm liking that move by Dun. Hopefully Kaman agrees to a cheaper contract once it expires