Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Bulls and Noah agree to 5 year, 60 million deal

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Everyone who keeps saying "why sign him now? the cap's going down." Remember when this year's cap was going to "drastically decrease?" Then it went up? Until I the new CBA's ratified by both sides it's pretty pointless to speculate, no matter what kind of numbers the league puts out about how bad they're hurting since they've clearly been wrong about that in the past.
    Okay, then why pay him now when he'll be a restricted free agent next year? GMs really need to take advantage when they have a RFA. Let them play out their contracts and FIND an offer. Match it if it's reasonable.

Does anyone really think some other team would give Noah a bigger deal than this after the season? I'd doubt it. Look at what the Jazz did with Milsap - they let him play out his contract and find an offer. A lot of people were saying he should get something like 5 years/50 million. Portland signs him to a front loaded contract averaging around 8 million per. Jazz match. Milsap's "market value" is found.

Most of the guys who got majorly overpaid lately were unrestricted. Sometimes you have to overpay for them since you can't forcibly match an offer. With an RFA the GM has all the control. For some reason, the Bulls were too stupid to see this.

Did the Bulls overpay Noah?

Yesah

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Point is that all these guys aren't that good or are still unproven..
    So you overpay them for no reason. You sound like a GM and after 2yrs into the deal you're lookin for a sucker to take on that contract to "cleap cap space" and throw money at another player by overpaying. Rinse and repeat.

I dont have a problem with Noah remaining a Bull. Thats cool. But he got overpaid. There really isnt much of an argument to convince me otherwise. It'll be like me trying to argue Brand and Iggy didnt get overpaid. I acknowledge they did the day they signed those deals. And even today I still feel that way. But I'm not gonna go compare other recent contract to thiers to feel good about what they recieved.

Noah got overpaid. Not a shocker or surprise. More like a given.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Do you understand the laws of supply and demand? Noah, imo is not a great center but look at the league right now! Try and name the best centers in the league~marc gasol, bynum, lopez, bogut etc. Point is that all these guys aren't that good or are still unproven. Big men, and more specifically, centers are very hard to come by in this league right now so when the demand is high and the supply is low, the price or equillibrium market value will be pushed up because the item in question will be more valuable/harder to attain. Noah deserved the deal. And btw, with your logic you could make a case that all nba players are overpaid which is worthless to argue really.
    There is Lopez, Kaman, Howard, duncan, jefferson, Bogut, Bynum, Marc Gasol and Horford. How many teams could actually afford to give Noah that type of deal next year that are contending teams or near contending? You have to remember Noah isnt going to a pissy squad especially in a pissy city. I think my bulls had all the leverage and just buckled under pressure. The deal is done now hopefully he can live up to this contract and years from now he can average 15 + 10+ and 2bpg.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    So you overpay them for no reason. You sound like a GM and after 2yrs into the deal you're lookin for a sucker to take on that contract to "cleap cap space" and throw money at another player by overpaying. Rinse and repeat.

I dont have a problem with Noah remaining a Bull. Thats cool. But he got overpaid. There really isnt much of an argument to convince me otherwise. It'll be like me trying to argue Brand and Iggy didnt get overpaid. I acknowledge they did the day they signed those deals. And even today I still feel that way. But I'm not gonna go compare other recent contract to thiers to feel good about what they recieved.

Noah got overpaid. Not a shocker or surprise. More like a given.
    No you pay them relative to their peers. Everything is relative. If a certain job sector isn't getting any applicants, it may raise salaries or offer additional benefits to entice more people to its business. In this case, the center position is the sector and noah is one of few competent applicants. People are very often not paid for their raw production but rather for their production relative to their peers. Its a very simple concept. The bulls do become a better defensive team with noah. JJ, boozer, and amare all just got ridiculous max contracts and they're not even top 10 players in the league. It gets to a point where 'everyone will be getting overpaid' so if everyone is overpaid, than, relatively, no one is overpaid because everyone is on the same plane.

Like Noah, but 60m??

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drwax26
    There is Lopez, Kaman, Howard, duncan, jefferson, Bogut, Bynum, Marc Gasol and Horford. How many teams could actually afford to give Noah that type of deal next year that are contending teams or near contending? You have to remember Noah isnt going to a pissy squad especially in a pissy city. I think my bulls had all the leverage and just buckled under pressure. The deal is done now hopefully he can live up to this contract and years from now he can average 15 + 10+ and 2bpg.
    Lopez is good but he hasn't proven himself entirely. Kaman and horford are no better than noah. Duncan and jefferson are PFs. So only bynum, lopez, gasol, and howard are ahead of noah right now. Thats a top 5 center in the league so I would say its something to hold onto as centers are a rare commodity.

Lopez is good but he hasn't proven himself entirely. Kaman and horford are no better than noah. Duncan and jefferson are PFs. So only bynum, lopez, gasol, and howard are ahead of noah right now. Thats a top 5 center in the league so I would say its something to hold onto as centers are a rare commodity.
    You forgot Bogut. Bogut is better than Noah.

Banned

Duncan is a Center now as well due to incapability in guarding PFs now.

They can list him at PF all they want, he's now a Center.

High School Varsity 6th Man

I'm going according to what they are playing for their respective teams but correct me if im wrong. Lopez was a rook last year so he will continue to improve. Of course you want to hold onto your C. You also dont want to cripple your team. In 2 years we will have one of the highest paid frontcourt duo but will we be contending for titles and have cap flexibility to bring in complimentary pieces remains to be seen.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

OK Noah got 5/60mil.

So what are they gonna pay Rose?

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    OK Noah got 5/60mil.

So what are they gonna pay Rose?
    This is what I've been saying.

Not airballing my layups anymore KABIRC's Avatar

Talking Re: Bulls and Noah agree to 5 year, 60 million deal

Great for the Bulls they just made a really good decision by keeping one of their most consistent players

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Rose is still on his rookie deal. Rose will probably get whatever the "max" will be for a player with his service time. I'm pretty sure the Bulls have had this in their books for the future since his rookie season. What that max will be probably depends on the next CBA.

It's not like the Bulls gave this deal without realizing that they'll likely be giving Rose a max deal soon. This is probably basic stuff for an NBA team to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Rose is still on his rookie deal. Rose will probably get whatever the "max" will be for a player with his service time. I'm pretty sure the Bulls have had this in their books for the future since his rookie season. What that max will be probably depends on the next CBA.

It's not like the Bulls gave this deal without realizing that they'll likely be giving Rose a max deal soon. This is probably basic stuff for an NBA team to manage.
    Boozer's getting 80 mill.
    Noah gets 60 mill.
    Deng is getting paid as well.
    Rose gets a max contract.

Where is the money to build a contender?