Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Mechanically separated chicken

Disgusting

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

glad i don't eat fast food.

Definitely not eating fast food ever again.

College star

this might be a stupid question but whatever..i am home for two weeks now and not in the mood to use my brain. So they put a chicken in there and that ice cream looking thing comes out?

Not 'Lovin it' so much now, are we?

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bada bing
    this might be a stupid question but whatever..i am home for two weeks now and not in the mood to use my brain. So they put a chicken in there and that ice cream looking thing comes out?
    yes, basically they use force (centrifugal I think) to push the "meat" (soft tissue) through a screen and leave behind the bones.

THis is then washed in ammonia, etc and pressed into a molding machine

frankly, this issue doesnt really concern me that much compared to the general confined feeding ways we raise our chickens and other animals in our current food system. but its still pretty gross to look at.

This sadly doesn't suprise me.

But whenever we have threads like this, there are always people who come in and say "oh, good thing I don't eat fast food anymore!' or something similar.

Noone I know personally does either, but obviously, they are still going strong. I'd like to see what their numbers are, though, in a society that is becoming more aware of these issues, has seen documentaries like "Supersize Me" etc.

Of course, we as a a nation are becoming more obese than ever before, so maybe people really just are ignorant and stupid, super busy, and just want a quick meal.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981
    This sadly doesn't suprise me.

But whenever we have threads like this, there are always people who come in and say "oh, good thing I don't eat fast food anymore!' or something similar.

Noone I know personally does either, but obviously, they are still going strong. I'd like to see what their numbers are, though, in a society that is becoming more aware of these issues, has seen documentaries like "Supersize Me" etc.

Of course, we as a a nation are becoming more obese than ever before, so maybe people really just are ignorant and stupid, super busy, and just want a quick meal.
    with greater poverty, the obesity rates actually rise. Its different in America because of our fastfood centric society. With poverty, the only type of food that becomes accessible are things like BK, McDonalds, tacobell and pizza. You can survive on a few bucks/day with these places.

believe it or not, healthy food is very expensive. Organic food is even more expensive.

its not about people being stupid or ignorant. Our economy is in the trash and we have a growing poverty rate. People are working harder (super busy) or are not working at all. This opens for a lot of fast food business.

i am wondering what the sales/profit margin for places like McDonalds and tacobell was in the past few years.

with greater poverty, the obesity rates actually rise. Its different in America because of our fastfood centric society. With poverty, the only type of food that becomes accessible are things like BK, McDonalds, tacobell and pizza. You can survive on a few bucks/day with these places.

believe it or not, healthy food is very expensive. Organic food is even more expensive.

its not about people being stupid or ignorant. Our economy is in the trash and we have a growing poverty rate. People are working harder (super busy) or are not working at all. This opens for a lot of fast food business.

i am wondering what the sales/profit margin for places like McDonalds and tacobell was in the past few years.
    I heard that McDonalds and WalMart were like the two most successful enterprises during the recession. That actually had an increase in profit, which is expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan Tabak

Not 'Lovin it' so much now, are we?
    grrrr...

why does it look and taste so good? especially when hot and bathed in honey.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

You want real chicken, gotta go to the deli.

NBA Superstar

I like the eyeball flavor, wouldn't want to give that up eating real chicken.

this is a lie. eating healthy can be done for just as cheap as fast food, but it requires much more time and effort on your part. People argue that eating healthy is more expensive, but it really doesnt have to be at all. I can back this up later if there is a debate or interest.

Clearly, the cheapest, laziest way to feed your self is 2 tacobell 5 layer burritos or whatever every day, but its mostly because of effort rather than actual food cost.

That being said, I still eat FF from time to time. Its incredibly convenient and loaded with all the flavors we are evolutionarily biased to crave (sodium, sugar, fat).

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    You want real chicken, gotta go to the deli.
    most of the sliced chicken "breast" you buy is also recombined and pressed. Not the same as the stuff in the OP, but hardly an actual cut of meat.