Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Hassan Whiteside Adds 30lbs of Muscle

Even with Steroids I don't think you can add 30 lbs of muscle in like 4 months... I'm not gonna lie though, if he continues to fill out, he could easily be a really good player... he'll probably be like Javale McGee and be a project for 2 years then he should be really good... I was literally shouting at my TV when I saw him fall to the 2nd round and Denver not pick him up... he would've been a great addition to Denver and probably could've been boughten.. I think he'll be a free agent in 2-3 years, so he might get some $

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

Semantics. Why do you guys argue this every time. He gained 30lbs without a change to his bodyfat %. Was all 30lbs gained muscle? Of course not. Some was increased bone mass/density, some water, some fat, etc.

Impossible #'s, but if you weighed 100lbs and were 10% bodyfat (which would equal 10lbs), people would say you were 90lbs of lean mass. Then, you increased to 140 with 14lbs of fat. Your body composition remained the same, but your lean mass went up 36lbs from 90 to 126, your fat went up from 10lbs to 14lbs so a 4lb increase, but all in all since your %s stayed the same people would say you put on 40lbs of muscle since you went from 100 and 10&bf to 140 w 10% bf. Technically incorrect, sure, but that's how it is. Nobody is going to water weigh you and use laser technology to get exact %s of water, bone, muscle, and fat for the simple purposes of a general weigh in.

Hell, most people who use all that creatine are also holding a lot of water, then they go off it and lose 10lbs really fast and think they're getting weaker but they're just pushing out all the water their body was retaining so their physique actually ends up looking better with no change in muscle or fat needed.

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
    Semantics. Why do you guys argue this every time. He gained 30lbs without a change to his bodyfat %. Was all 30lbs gained muscle? Of course not. Some was increased bone mass/density, some water, some fat, etc.

Impossible #'s, but if you weighed 100lbs and were 10% bodyfat (which would equal 10lbs), people would say you were 90lbs of lean mass. Then, you increased to 140 with 14lbs of fat. Your body composition remained the same, but your lean mass went up 36lbs from 90 to 126, your fat went up from 10lbs to 14lbs so a 4lb increase, but all in all since your %s stayed the same people would say you put on 40lbs of muscle since you went from 100 and 10&bf to 140 w 10% bf. Technically incorrect, sure, but that's how it is. Nobody is going to water weigh you and use laser technology to get exact %s of water, bone, muscle, and fat for the simple purposes of a general weigh in.
    Only people who have no idea about the matter. 30lbs of muscle gain is not possible in a few months for a professional athlete w/o doing roids. Maybe 10 of those 30lbs are lean muscle mass, at best, if the guy hadn't had a beefy frame. Rest would be mostly water and a bit fat tissue. But I guess that the numbers are made up, anyway. A higher number strikes the audience, it's just a media thing, I guess.

i really like this kid. great prospect. kings are loaded at the 4/5 positions for the next 3-4 years. Javale McGee comparisons are spot on

Not airballing my layups anymore Omar_Little's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Not at all. Look at his frail frame, its much easier to put on muscle when you're a skinny guy like that. There was no muscle there whatsoever, all he needed was to spend 3-4 months in the weight room under guidance from their S&T coach.

Its harder for skinny guys like that to gain weight(fat) than to gain muscle.
    No, it's literally impossible. For anyone. Do you understand how much 30 pounds of lean mass is? 100% impossible.

Heat|Lakers|Celtics

impossible

How?

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    100% impossible to add that much muscle mass in that time frame. It'd take you 1-2 years to do that without steroids.
    Lean muscle? You are right. He probably added some fat as well that isn't showing much cus he was soooo skinny before. One can add quite a bit of muscle though in a short period of time when they haven't worked out before... and I think it was apparent that Whiteside hadn't lifted too many weights in his life. a good % could be water weight too if he is taking Creatine (which he most likely is).

He looks like a mini Dwight Howard now (actually taller but obv. not as big.)... he has a very similar body type with the ridiculously broad shoulders. He is even wearing Dwight's shirt
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 10-04-2010 at 08:12 PM.

LAL|LAC

I will finally have a season to look forward to w/ the Kings.

Got my tix to the Kings-Heat game.

Quote Originally Posted by LA KB24
    I will finally have a season to look forward to w/ the Kings.

Got my tix to the Kings-Heat game.
    Where you live in Sac man?

LAL|LAC

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Where you live in Sac man?
    Antelope.

Nice. Not a lot of guys from Sac on message boards so I'm always curious ha. (I live in Granite Bay and Rancho Cordova btw).

It is possible to do in 3-4 months..

You cant compare it to your average working person either.. This guy would be at the gym everyday with awesome trainers, all the right foods etc..

I love how people just jump to steroids conclusion all the time.. Without proper food/rest/lifting they wont do shit...

Obviously the numbers would be exagerated a bit, even if it is a bit more fat etc, still a massive improvement! 30 pounds is about 14 kilograms, which i have seen done a few times over the space of 4 months..
    I love peoples opinions about training that have never been to a gym

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    It is possible to do in 3-4 months..

You cant compare it to your average working person either.. This guy would be at the gym everyday with awesome trainers, all the right foods etc..

I love how people just jump to steroids conclusion all the time.. Without proper food/rest/lifting they wont do shit...

Obviously the numbers would be exagerated a bit, even if it is a bit more fat etc, still a massive improvement! 30 pounds is about 14 kilograms, which i have seen done a few times over the space of 4 months..
    I love peoples opinions about training that have never been to a gym
    I've never seen or heard of anyone gaining 30 pounds of muscle in 4 months without the aid of a PED. Never. I don't doubt he gained 30 pounds in 4 months, but I doubt it's all muscle. It's not realistic to think he used steroids but something is wrong about the story. He's most likely close to 30 pounds heavier but also added a significant amount of fat. No big deal...

BTW Plenty of people have the time, focus, genes, and resources to lift like an NBA player can. They still don't put on that much muscle. It's just unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by thejumpa
    I've never seen or heard of anyone gaining 30 pounds of muscle in 4 months without the aid of a PED. Never. I don't doubt he gained 30 pounds in 4 months, but I doubt it's all muscle. It's not realistic to think he used steroids but something is wrong about the story. He's most likely close to 30 pounds heavier but also added a significant amount of fat. No big deal...

BTW Plenty of people have the time, focus, genes, and resources to lift like an NBA player can. They still don't put on that much muscle. It's just unheard of.
    Very simple. No they dont.

There aren't plenty of people who are 6'11, have a 7'7 wingspan, and have a max vert of 31'.