Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Default UFC 121: Lesnar vs Velasquez

Fights on October 23

We get to see another contender last of the 2 guys who I believe are the only ones in the heavyweight division that stand a chance against Brock, the other being JDS. Love him or hate him Brock seems to be the real deal, he's fast, has great wrestling, cardio and has suprised us that his thick skull can take a punch. He has also showcased improved ground game and even had his first submission win against his last opponent Shane Carwin. Im not going to go on about who is the best HW of all time but at the moment Brock is on a tear and is top dog among HW's, Im kinda not sure about this matchup since Cain gives away atleast 30lbs, he's shown improved striking and relentless cardio (Big Nog/Kongo Matchup respectively) I think Cain's only chance is standing and pacing himself otherwise I just see him being negated on the ground, not necessarily by a better wrestler skill wise, but a evenly skilled guy who is just so much bigger.

Anyway on to the match ups

Main Card:

Brock Lesnar 5-1 MMA 4-1 UFC vs Cain Velasquez 8-0 MMA 6-0 UFC

6'3 265lbs

6'1 238lbs

We also get to see the first appearance of Jake Shields in the UFC the current Strikeforce MW champion he will be facing Martin Kampman as a welter weight

Jake Shield vs Martin "The Hitman" Kampman
    Both seem to be on a tear and I believe Jake Shields to be a legit threat to GSP, his slow but sure grind out style works well and has top notch BJJ and from his last fight against Hendo shows he can take a punch after being rocked in the 1st round

the other fights that round our the main card are

Welterweight bout: Diego Sanchez vs. Paulo Thiago
    Light Heavyweight bout:Tito Ortiz vs.Matt Hamill
    Heavyweight bout:Brendan Schaub vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

I dont think Diego matches up well with Paulo and I dont see how he can win.
    I also think Tito is a shot fighter and Matt's wrestling is top notch.
    Im not sure about the Gabe Gonzaga fight, I like Gabe since he has all the tools BJJ Mundial winner good decent HW size, but he seems to wilt under pressure. But against a so-so guy like Schaub I think he wins but Gabe has disappointed in the past.

Default Re: UFC 121: Lesnar vs Velasquez

the prelims look above average also, this looks to be a awesome card.

Preliminary card

Middleweight bout:Court McGee vs. Ryan Jensen
    Middleweight bout:Patrick C
    Last edited by ErhnamDjinn; 10-18-2010 at 12:22 PM.

First off LOL @ the axe murderer animation avy... Love it

Caught the preview program last night before I passed out which instilled in me even more enthusiasm over a card that I was already incredibly stoked to see. From top to bottom there's not one bout listed that doesn't catch my eye so props to Dana and his team for the well rounded batch of fights. As per usual, the jist of the preview show was a brief build up of the main event which I expect to see Brock conclude with a victory. Cains proven to be a solid heavyweight in his own right but that 35 pound gap might be to vast an obstacle to overcome especially when you consider how quick Lesnar is as well. He's a near 300 pounder that moves with the finesse of a middleweight, hence why he's such unique breed. 15 years ago a fighter of Brocks make up would have been classified as a freak show but no longer is that the consensus view point. Cains best bet is to try and drive this fight past the midway point of the 3rd round, then utilize his endurance over the much bigger Lesnar. Should serve as an intriguing show nonetheless

Lolz in the countdown show I loved when Brock said ill drink a Coors and eat a burrito for your Mexican hertiage OK hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
    Lolz in the countdown show I loved when Brock said ill drink a Coors and eat a burrito for your Mexican hertiage OK hahaha
    LOL...

Gotta love the shock factor whenever Brock has a mic before him. You just never know what's gunna come out of him. And I don't think his intentions are to be malicious or disrespectful either.

Article from Jason Probst from Sherdog.com

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...ain-Card-27607

With the title on the line, UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar

article continued

Welterweights
    Paulo Thiago (No. 7 WW) vs. Diego Sanchez

The Matchup: In a perfectly fair world, guys like Sanchez would have a proper weight class somewhere between lightweight and welterweight. Instead, the winner of

I'm obligated to pick Lesnar since my company sponsors him and sales do go up for me when he wins.

Only prayer Velasquez has is if he can stick and move for 5 rounds. He can catch him, since he is the better striker, and Brock is known to wince when hit. If he manages to knock him down he do a better job mounting and finishing on the ground. That's the one problem Carwin had. He expended all energy instead of pinpointing his ground attack.

On a side note, this was undisclosed news but Carwin suffered a panic attack in the ring which drained his adrenals. Had he not he may have had the same intensity as when he started the first round. If the fight were to go again I think Carwin would probably win it.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I'm obligated to pick Lesnar since my company sponsors him and sales do go up for me when he wins.

Only prayer Velasquez has is if he can stick and move for 5 rounds. He can catch him, since he is the better striker, and Brock is known to wince when hit. If he manages to knock him down he do a better job mounting and finishing on the ground. That's the one problem Carwin had. He expended all energy instead of pinpointing his ground attack.

On a side note, this was undisclosed news but Carwin suffered a panic attack in the ring which drained his adrenals. Had he not he may have had the same intensity as when he started the first round. If the fight were to go again I think Carwin would probably win it.
    Yup Carwin gassed, probably also as you mentioned a Adrenal dump due to pressure to win plus he really expended all his energy in the 1st. I still think in the end it will be JDS who becomes the HW champ, as long as he can avoid the take down no one will outbox him standing up.

Good High School Starter

awesome card...

lesnar vs velasquez - lesnar is a beast and proven to be an elite fighter but Velasquez is a whole new breed of fighter in my opinion. i truly believe he could down as the greatest and he'll prove this come Saturday night. he's an elite wrestler but a far more fluid striker and just a smoother fighter. pound for pound hes the strongest human being i've ever seen compete in combat sports. anyone who follows the sport is well aware that he's never come close to gassing and probably has the greatest cardio in the HW division. he has a huge edge in the striking department and with his wrestling background, lesnar will have a really hard time taking him down. lesnar couldn't take down a fresh carwin and cain is 10x the fighter carwin is. cain is the new breed.

shields vs kampman - shields is a total stud. kampman is very well rounded but shields takedowns and ground and pound/top game will present all sorts of problems. shields top game straight up smothers people. he's the best threat to GSP in the division and has a legit chance to dethrone him. he's in the mix for top pound for pound fighters in the sport. he'll grind out a win versus kampman.

diego sanchez vs paulo thiago - fight looks to be a great one on paper. one fighter is hyper aggressive (sanchez) while Thiago is very methodical and picks his spots. i like thiago to stop the fight via strikes but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see sanchez grind out a decision.

ortiz vs hammil - hard to root for tito. i think he'll have a slight edge in striking and their both very good but not great wrestlers. should be a decision either way. will be rooting hard for hammil.

schaub vs gonzaga - don't blink. i like gonzaga to put down schaub.

Good High School Starter evilmonkey's Avatar

I usually say:

Skill (example Velasquez) > Talent (Lesnar)

But only this time i have to say Talent > Skill.... Lesnar is to much of a talent for Velasquez skill.... you will see... he is to much for anybodys skill except maybe Emilianenko.

I am a more skilled MMA fighter than a Bull to.... but what makes you think im gona win?
    Last edited by evilmonkey; 10-20-2010 at 01:14 PM.

DGARAS
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I hope Lawlor doesn't lose. I really want to see this guy get his shit together and compete for a co-main event one day.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid

So are you the reason why I get Brock Lesnar trading cards with every order?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I've got Lesnar here. Size is a key factor here and I think it's been proven that Lesnar has the chin to take a hit.

I'm dying to see Lesnar vs. JDS though. Hopefully that would be his next opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by evilmonkey
    I usually say:

Skill (example Velasquez) > Talent (Lesnar)

But only this time i have to say Talent > Skill.... Lesnar is to much of a talent for Velasquez skill.... you will see... he is to much for anybodys skill except maybe Emilianenko.

I am a more skilled MMA fighter than a Bull to.... but what makes you think im gona win?
    Yeah I think Lesnar is really a one o kind dude who's a natural talent plus is a very decent wrestler, I actually hated him in the start and still do because he was basically gifted the belt, but dude is a stud, proved himself already twice. I still think JDS will maul him standing and will not gas like Carwin.