Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: I'm being billed for over $5,000 for a broken hand surgery, ANY ADVICE?

Quote Originally Posted by the GIBBET
    smart money says with a truckload of comfort food.

terrible

Banned

Default Re: I'm being billed for over $5,000 for a broken hand surgery, ANY ADVICE?

smokee, seriously, you are the most retarded poster on this website. it has been voted on unanimously.

7 times...

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    I broke a bone in my hand earlier this year and had surgery on it in June. I was in college at the time, so my mom called our insurance agency to make sure it would be covered. They told us that the surgery would be covered. Now I am receiving bills for over $5000 from the hospital. We have appealed the bill and called over a dozen times without getting anywhere. Any advice on what I should do?
    OK, well this is what I would do. But you decide what's best for you, but here's what I would do:

- Firstly, DON'T PAY ANYTHING YET. ZERO. Don't worry about any threats, fees, etc. for now. Just don't pay anything for now to ANYONE. Not even a portion. Tell the hospital to contact your insurance company in the meantime. Speak to someone over phone at the hospitals billing dept. and explain situation for now so they won't keep hounding you with bills. But again, DON'T PAY ANYTHING.
    - Next, have you contacted your insurance company to find out specifically why its not being paid? Who did you speak to and said it was covered? Why do you believe it was covered? Get all your documentation in order first. Do you have any written material saying it will specifically covered? Do you have names of people you spoke too? Do you have specific policy information on what type of accidents would be covered? What is specific rationale insurance company is giving you for nonpayment?

Do that first and let us know what the results are. But whatever you do at the moment, DON'T PAY. If the hospital keeps billing you, call them and tell them you need more time to work it out with insurance company.

Let us know the results of all this and give us all the specifics as to what happens.
    Last edited by bagelred; 10-23-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Unless it was really broken somethin fierce, you shoulda just let it heal on its own.
    Are you f-cking retarded? Seriously. I'm not kidding.

I broke a bone in my hand earlier this year and had surgery on it in June. I was in college at the time, so my mom called our insurance agency to make sure it would be covered. They told us that the surgery would be covered. Now I am receiving bills for over $5000 from the hospital. We have appealed the bill and called over a dozen times without getting anywhere. Any advice on what I should do?
    Go to the hospital with your insurance information.

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Hey, asshole, his medical tip of the day was CONCLUDED. Can't you pushy New York f*cks wait 'til tomorrow?

Won Avy Bet

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    LOL bagelred, congrats dude!

You posted 14,969 times on this site trying to be funny and failed. On your 14,970th post, you finally got it!

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

It's not uncommon for the hospital to send you a copy of a bill showing the work that was done and the cost of it. The insurance company does pick it up however minus whatever your co-pay is for surgery. You could be looking at a couple hundred bucks out of pocket. Depends on your insurance carrier really. I would forward any letters I get from the hospital directly to them.

The surgery was recommended due to the type of break. If I let it heal on its won they told me my fingers might cross when I make a fist. I'll find out everything we've done so far and get back to you guys. Thanks for the help so far.

con my cuerno de chivo wheyhigh's Avatar

file bankruptcy, i work for one of the largest filers in the southwest. rack up some more debt to be eligible for a chapter 7 though. simple process if you have an attorney doing all the work for you.

I work in the health insurance business and went through a similar situation years ago. right now there is no point in contacting the hospital. Get on the phone with your insurance customer service and find out what the problem is. Sometimes there is a backlog of claims and it takes time to get a claim processed. Or maybe your claim is pended for some technical reason.

But you need to be burning up the phone lines to your insurance company. You need to be relentless. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

A long time ago i quit my job but kept my insurance through COBRA until i got new insurance. Then my appendix ruptured and it wasn't diagnosed so a major infection set in. When i finally had surgery a month later i was inpatient for 4 days so you can imagine the bills were pretty high.

Weeks later i started getting bills from the hospital. My insurance company had denied everything. As i said i know the business so i called them and worked them over. Finally i thought i had all the bills paid.

Then i started getting an bill from the hospital for $500. Their were threatening my credit blah blah. I told them i wasn't paying a dam thing until i saw an itemized bill that showed what they were billing me for.

Finally they let me know they will billing me for the difference between a semi-private room and a private room. I had requested a semi-private room and they put me in a private room which was $125 per day more expensive. My insurance didn't cover the difference. However i had it in writing that i had requested a semi private room. I also knew that a $125 difference was excessive.

I told them i wasn't paying sh!t and that if i heard from them again i was going to sue them and have an auditor go through their books to see how many other people they were scamming. That was the last i heard from them.

My advice? Whatever you do, don't break your other hand my friend

This is why health care is such a huge deal. Having private companies running things is not working. They always try to get out of paying.

Future D1 Dad

might heal on its own, might not heal back right though.

i jacked my forearm up one time skateboarding as a kid and didn't tell my parents since i was afraid they'd make me stop skating. it had to have be like a hair-line fracture and i held it against my stomach for almost 2-3 weeks. i couldn't even rotate my forearm around or anything.

College star

call the hospital first and ask them what happened with your insurance. they will tell you what the insurance company told them.

then call up the insurance company and try to figure out what happened.

in my view the hospital might have just sent u the bill since the insurance company might be taking long to process the claims?