Page 85 of 88 FirstFirst ... 357582838485868788 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1309
    Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

Default Re: 2010/11 Observation Deck

One of the best ways to find out what an athlete is doing as far as transfers/leaving for draft/etc. is to be their friend on facebook.

Aaric Murray transferring from La Salle and deciding between OSU, Kansas, and WVU (idk if that's Ohio State or Oklahoma State). I don't even think the local papers know he's thinking of transferring.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Bob Knight gave a speech a few days ago. Still not a fan of Calipari.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Bob Knight gave a speech a few days ago. Still not a fan of Calipari.
    I'm wondering if the whole Kentucky started five players the year before in the NCAA tournament that had not been to any class in the Spring Semester is true, or being over exaggerated. I know it's at least partially true, and it's not something Kentucky is exclusively guilty of, but Calipari is making a mockery out the one-and-done rule and the notion of a student-athlete.
    Last edited by KG215; 04-19-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Have no idea if it's true, wouldn't surprise me a bit though.

I go back and forth on Calipari. There's a system in place that allows him to do what he does, he has no qualms with being honest with both himself and his recruits that if you want to get to the NBA, come play for me. My issue with him isn't rooted in HIM, it's rooted in the system of "amateur hoops." Let's not pretend Calipari kids are the first ones not to go to class and majored in basketball y'know, happens at the vast majority of schools. Don't hate the player, hate the game as the kids say.

A kid turns 18 he has the right to make a living playing ball. Frankly I'm REALLY surprised a lot more kids don't go the Brandon Jennings route. I guess for all the bonehead stuff he does on the floor he's still a pretty mature young kid off it, can't say the same for most. I see both viewpoints, but times change, huge huge money's being lost by the kids and made by the schools.

Hell, I'm more embarrassed for the actual schools more than anything. They market themselves as these bastions of growth and breeding tomorrow's leaders, when really they're just taking advantage of kids. I honestly feel like the NCAA's time as a minor league for the pros just needs to end.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I'm wondering if the whole "Kentucky started five players the year before in the NCAA tournament that had not been to any class in the Spring Semester is true, or being over exaggerated. I know it's at least partially true, and it's not something Kentucky is exclusively guilty of, but Calipari is making a mockery out the one-and-done rule and the notion of a student-athlete.
    I wonder what Calipari says to these kids to always get em'

obviously his recruiting has some shady stuff going on.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Have no idea if it's true, wouldn't surprise me a bit though.

I go back and forth on Calipari. There's a system in place that allows him to do what he does, he has no qualms with being honest with both himself and his recruits that if you want to get to the NBA, come play for me. My issue with him isn't rooted in HIM, it's rooted in the system of "amateur hoops." Let's not pretend Calipari kids are the first ones not to go to class and majored in basketball y'know, happens at the vast majority of schools. Don't hate the player, hate the game as the kids say.

A kid turns 18 he has the right to make a living playing ball. Frankly I'm REALLY surprised a lot more kids don't go the Brandon Jennings route. I guess for all the bonehead stuff he does on the floor he's still a pretty mature young kid off it, can't say the same for most. I see both viewpoints, but times change, huge huge money's being lost by the kids and made by the schools.

Hell, I'm more embarrassed for the actual schools more than anything. They market themselves as these bastions of growth and breeding tomorrow's leaders, when really they're just taking advantage of kids. I honestly feel like the NCAA's time as a minor league for the pros just needs to end.
    Knight said he's thought the NBA should have a minor league system for a while now. I don't have any problem with that. And I wouldn't have any problem with Calipari if the last two schools he coached at ended up getting in some sort of trouble due to recruiting violations. He's making a mockery out of the one-and-done rule but it's hard to dislike him too much for taking advantage of it better than any other coach in the nation.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Of the starting five for 2009-10, one graduated, one is still in school, and the three freshman all left in good academic standing, finishing out their classes before they left for the draft. Cal does recruit more one and dones than anyone, but he insists they fulfill their academic requirements to the school before leaving.

http://twitter.com/pdpatt/status/60076880988094464
    http://twitter.com/boogiecousins/sta...93814706524160

Bob Knight can eat a dick.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Knight said he's thought the NBA should have a minor league system for a while now. I don't have any problem with that. And I wouldn't have any problem with Calipari if the last two schools he coached at ended up getting in some sort of trouble due to recruiting violations. He's making a mockery out of the one-and-done rule but it's hard to dislike him too much for taking advantage of it better than any other coach in the nation.
    Cal has never gotten in trouble for recruiting violations.

In reality it doesn't even matter if these kids go to class. 90% of them are in bullshit majors that don't prepare them for anything even if they graduate.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

NBA just needs to let kids go pro. The entire system is a joke. The real victims are the students on academic scholarship. They're treated like jokes compared to those on athletic scholarships. What's the point of college?

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    NBA just needs to let kids go pro. The entire system is a joke. The real victims are the students on academic scholarship. They're treated like jokes compared to those on athletic scholarships. What's the point of college?
    that comment makes no sense.

Brandon Knight, Terrence Jones, and DeAndre Liggins all declared for the draft but did not hire an agent. I don't know what the word is on all or any of them returning, but I personally feel like Knight is gone for good, and there's still a chance Jones and Liggins return. If Knight and Jones both stay in the draft (which is what I'm personally hoping for as a UNC fan) then that definitely makes UNC an even bigger favorite next year.

Apparently Gibbs will make his draft decision without working out for any teams. Kind of weird because I figured he'd want to get feedback from scouts and measure his chances. His announcement will come in about a week.

Brandon Knight, Terrence Jones, and DeAndre Liggins all declared for the draft but did not hire an agent. I don't know what the word is on all or any of them returning, but I personally feel like Knight is gone for good, and there's still a chance Jones and Liggins return. If Knight and Jones both stay in the draft (which is what I'm personally hoping for as a UNC fan) then that definitely makes UNC an even bigger favorite next year.
    I know the draft's really weak and all, but Jones really needs to stay in school. I still feel like most of his buzz has come from those early season tournaments where he looked like a man among boys.

His last 3rd or so of the season is pretty pedestrian. He only topped 20 points I think twice in conference play, both in losses and way too often did he just look like he was loafing out there. I wouldn't blame him for leaving, stock won't get much higher and all, but I don't think he's ready.

Canadian Tristan Thompson is declaring, and not returning to Texas for his sophomore year. Too bad, as I wanted to see all three Canadians in the lineup next year.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1995399/

I think he could have used another year in college to improve, but I understand him declaring. It's a weak draft, and he's lock to be at least a top a 15-20 pick. It'll be great seeing the first Canadian since Jamal Magloire to be drafted in the first round.