Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star DreamRockets's Avatar

Default Who is the greatest rebounder of all-time ?

who is the goat rebounder of all-time ? is it really wilt (22.9) ? he pulled down rebounds like there is no tomorrow but he played when teams averaged 75-80 rebounds per game compared to the usual 45-50 rpg teams average in the modern era, same for russell.

maybe baylor with 14.4 rpg at only 6'5" ? he played in the same era as wilt.

barkley was listed at 6'6" but everybody who has seen him knows he was more like 6'3", he averaged 11.7 rpg in 1073 official regular season games.

is it rodman who averaged over 17 and 18 rebounds for a few seasons at 6'7" and 13.1 in his career ?

is it moses malone who is the all-time leader in offensive rebounds and lead the league several times as well ?

does kevin garnett deserve to be mentioned in this list ?

pick one :) or suggest one you think deserves to be mentioned here if he isn't.
    Last edited by DreamRockets; 02-18-2007 at 09:56 AM.

Default Re: Who is the greatest rebounder of all-time ?

Quote Originally Posted by BFRESH44
    Rodman.

/End thread.
    thanks for the insightful post, good arguments and logic all around

Decent college freshman BFRESH44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DreamRockets
    thanks for the insightful post, good arguments and logic all around
    LOL.

Ok, anyone with any knowledge of the history of the game knows that Dennis Rodman (inarguable IMO) is the greatest rebounder in the history of the NBA...

His agreesivness overall on the boards, and his posistion as far as boxing out: Nobody did it better.

I believe his has the record for leading the league in rebounding a consecutive 8-9 years or something like that....He's also has a couple of seasons where he's averaged over 18 boards a game. Doing this all in what was probably the greatest/golden era of Basketball.

Is that better for ya?

yeah, thats the kind of insight i was asking for but this:

Ok, anyone with any knowledge of the history of the game knows that Dennis Rodman (inarguable IMO) is the greatest rebounder in the history of the NBA...
    holds absolutely no water, many think wilt is the greatest rebounder of all-time, in fact most people do which is why i made this thread and started it "is it really wilt......."

nothing in the nba is inarguable, only facts are inarguable, like who has the most points, rebounds or who has the highest scoring average or the most mvp awards, etc.
    Last edited by DreamRockets; 02-18-2007 at 10:32 AM.

holds absolutely no water, many think wilt is the greatest rebounder of all-time, in fact most people do which is why i made this thread and started it "is it really wilt......."
    Holds no water but you exposed Wilt's rebounding avg by pointing out the period in which he played...team rebounding avg were much higher then compared to now.

sure, but some still think he is the greatest rebounder ever, and we can only assume rodman would average 25 rpg even playing in wilt's days.

for me russell, wilt, rodman, moses could all be considered the best rebounder of alltime.

Decent college freshman BFRESH44's Avatar

Chamberlin was a man amongst boys in his day...There was really no one who even came close to matching his physical ablilty and size(sans Bill Russel really)...So he sort of had some "by default" rebounding titles IMO..

Not like I can give (or pretty much anyone on this board really) a valid opinion on Wilt because I never seen the dude play...

But I did watch Dennis Rodman. And him playing in a more modernized game of basketball, with better athletes, dominanting the boards gives him the edge for the greatest rebounder ever IMO. The Worm lead the league in the rebounding for 7 consecutive years(just looked it up). I don't believe Wilt ever did that(despite his overall sheer domination as an overall player/center in his era)...

sure, but some still think he is the greatest rebounder ever, and we can only assume rodman would average 25 rpg even playing in wilt's days.

for me russell, wilt, rodman, moses could all be considered the best rebounder of alltime.
    Well you'll never a total agreement with anything when it comes to the game of basketball. AS far as the "....best of all time?" categories.

I think Rodman was the best rebounder of all time. We limit it to just rebounding and ignore everything else which i think at times comes into play with peoples decisions then ehh I think Rodman wins out. He just knew how to position himself, knew when to jump, how to keep a ball alive vs a bigger, stronger and/or taller opponent. Also just an awareness of where the ball would come off if it missed. Split second decision to react and he mastered that reaction. You can call it guessing right but when you guess right way too many times it is no longer a guess to me.

I think people confuse Russells defense with him being the best rebounder since defense usually entails rebounding along with other things. And Wilt's avg just stand out & jump out to people. But I never saw Wilt/Russell rebound the ball like I have Rodmans entire career. So hopefully those picking Wilt/Russell have saw enough footage, and actual games to make an argument.

if an argument can be made for rodman what about barkley ? he averaged no less than 10.1 rpg and as much as 14.6 rpg for 15 consecutive years, had he averaged 1.4 rebounds as a rookie he would have averaged over 10 rpg in each one of his 16 seasons and i think he would be the only player in modern era to do that, dude was 6'3 or 6'4 in real life even though he is listed at 6'6 in nba.com.

russell was the best shot blocker in the league, not the best face-to-face defender, nate thurmond was the best defensive 5 at the time.

great arguments bfresh and gobb.
    Last edited by DreamRockets; 02-18-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Good High School Starter lakers-city's Avatar

either moses or rodman IMO, rodman had the better instincts and eye for rebounding i have ever seen, moses was a beast on the offensive boards, there are too many good-not-great rebounders in nba history as well (the likes of kareem, hakeem, mutombo, shaq, duncan, reed come to mind) then you have the best of the best in moses, rodman, barkley, baylor.

giants among boys like wilt and russell rank somewhere else, don't know exactly where, in a paralel league maybe.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default the greatest rebounder of all-time-- not moses

is it moses malone who is the all-time leader in offensive rebounds and lead the league several times as well ?
    moses was an awesome nba player

people who remember moses will say too that he wasnt the best shooter on the team by any means.

if you watched him play, he got a lot of offensive rebounds because he would miss point blank putbacks, get his own rebound, miss again, get his own rebound..... he could get three offensive boards on one trip downcourt!

he was a monster on the boards and i would take him on my team anyday because of it, but his offensive rebound stats are a bit inflated imo

Default Re: the greatest rebounder of all-time-- not moses

i remember that as well, moses would miss lots of easy shots and then grab the reb and miss again, the guy was the master of rebounding his own miss and slaming it home.

I dont think Moses did it on purpose. Just misjudged put backs.

i don't think so either, but as rainierbeachpoet said, he was never a good shooter and would miss easy shots.
    Last edited by lakers-city; 02-18-2007 at 11:14 AM.

erudite

Rodman was never a better rebounder than Charles Barkley......he just did nothing else....

WILT, MOSES, RUSSELL, KAREEM, BARKS even Lucas and then Rodman