Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Default Re: What is the argument for Dirk being better than Blake?

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    I love how I'm called a dirk hater and I never even start these kinds of threads.
    The OP puts you to shame, gotta step up your hating game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Kevin Love 20/16/2 on 45%
    Tim Duncan 20/11 on 50% *the year he led the spurs to their third ring

I guess Kevin Love is better than prime duncan going by your rebounds to points equation and thus is better right?

There are MANY flaws in your argument.

First off, you're using a 30 something game sample for a comparison when the person you're comparing blake to has demonstrated one of the most important parts of the game: CONSISTENCY.

Secondly, blake plays on a GARBAGE team and most of his stats come in garbage time when his team is getting blown out.

Thirdly, blake is not even the main man on the clippers team. They don't run their offense through him and teams don't gameplan against him specifically like they do other superstars.

And fourthly, Blake scores as a result of his athleticism and hustle plays. Blake has never led his team down the stretch when they needed buckets to win. Dirk has and is always called upon in the clutch to go iso and get his team the Ws.

*Dirk is a better passer, infinintely better go-to scorer and main option, is much clutcher, and plays MUCH better help and man defense. This is just a case of a retard blindly using stats without putting them into any context whatsoever.

Right now.. blake griffin's stats are equivalent to what david lee was putting up with the knicks last year...
    Last edited by tpols; 01-01-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Statistically Dirk is actually a far more efficient scorer than Griffin. Dirk takes and makes more 3s and Griffin is an awful FT shooter. It's a pretty decent gap in that regard. Blake is easily a better rebounder so far. I prefer Dirk's defense, Blake's instincts aren't that great and Dirk is a bigger and longer player. Also, Dirk has better overall IQ on both sides of the court, in terms of decision making with the ball and help defense. The fallacy is that you're using basic averages through 30 games without accounting for context. Statistically you could say Griffin's better than Pau. Zbo was comparable last year too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    First off, you're using a 30 something game sample for a comparison when the person you're comparing blake to has demonstrated one of the most important parts of the game: CONSISTENCY.

Secondly, blake plays on a GARBAGE team and most of his stats come in garbage time when his team is getting blown out.

Thirdly, blake is not even the main man on the clippers team. They don't run their offense through him and teams don't gameplan against him specifically like they do other superstars.

And fourthly, Blake scores as a result of his athleticism and hustle plays. Blake has never led his team down the stretch when they needed buckets to win. Dirk has and is always called upon in the clutch to go iso and get his team the Ws.

*Dirk is a better passer, infinintely better go-to scorer and main option, is much clutcher, and plays MUCH better help and man defense. This is just a case of a retard blindly using stats without putting them into any context whatsoever.

Right now.. blake griffin's stats are equivalent to what david lee was putting up with the knicks last year...
    worst post of the year, you want me to get you the certificate signed by jeff? congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Thornton
    worst post of the year, you want me to get you the certificate signed by jeff? congratulations.
    HEY he has 364 days to top that!

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Kevin Love 20/16/2 on 45%
    Tim Duncan 20/11 on 50% *the year he led the spurs to their third ring

I guess Kevin Love is better than prime duncan going by your rebounds to points equation and thus is better right?

There are MANY flaws in your argument.

Almost everything in this post is wrong. I'm sorry to sound like a jerk, but none of the stuff you typed actually happens in games. Griffins stats don't come during blowouts, because Clippers lose down the stretch more often, as opposed to being blown out. Secondly, the Clippers do run their offense through Griffin for most of the game. That's why he often gets 10+ points in the first quarter, because they go to him often to start the game. Thirdly, Blake has excellent touch around the rim, and he's very agile and his footwork is good as well. He's a smooth player and has decent touch, and his shooting form is excellent, showing it has a lot of room for improvement. The Clippers lose games more as a result of bad decision making down the stretch, but they're always in most of their games.

With all that said, the OP's points are all bad too. Dirk is an MVP caliber player, while Griffin is just a fantastic rookie. Amazing yes, but compared to rookies.

Saw a basketball once

first 30 games of their careers: griffin > dirk

but griffin's next 12 years vs dirk? we will see. some of dirk's achievements: all-nba teams, mvp, 3rd best scorer of the decade (2000 - 2009), 50%-40%-90% season, 100+ blocks & 100+ threes in one season etc.

atm dirk is
    [LIST][*]the go-to-guy for the mavs[*]one of the most efficient scorers[*]one of the best clutch players (95%+ FT in the 4th quarter, further sick stats according to 82games.com)[*]leading the nba in plus-minus for whatever it is worth[*]playing on a winning team that loses without him

and he has missed less games in his entire career than griffin in his first year (cheap shot maybe, but also a fact)[/LIST]

some notable players with even larger samples of games who faded away (sometimes due to injury):

shawn kemp
    mcdyess
    penny
    marbury
    francis
    roy

30 games is way too early to judge

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    HEY he has 364 days to top that!
    avy bet for 2012 that that post will not be topped.

Banned

WTF we're dealing with a noob, dirk>>>>>>>griffin, i dont care what you say, prove me wrong OP... come at me bro

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KB2clutch
    WTF we're dealing with a noob, dirk>>>>>>>griffin, i dont care what you say, prove me wrong OP... come at me bro
    how bout i come on you and then we'll watch Leno.

Quote Originally Posted by CMsam
    how bout i come on you and then we'll watch Leno.

Haha the only post worth anything in this thread

Dirk is still better than Griffin.

Offensively, Dirk spaces the floor better for his teammates and creates more offensive opportunities for them as well due to his scoring prowess, both real and imagined (by the opposing coach/team). He gets consistently double teamed and consistently makes the other team pay. Dirk has also shown an ability to close out games by creating his own shot in the 4th.

Defensively I'd argue Dirk is better than Griffin. He plays better positional defense at this point... both aren't much man vs. man in the post (except Griffin is pretty damn good at hedging screens and playing perimeter D).

Griffin's rebounding is his edge but it doesn't overcome Dirk's ability to consistently get his team better shots.

I think in a year or two Griffin will surpass him... but Dirk is declining too.

Whether Griffin is better or not (some might say he is, others say not), Dirk has done more in the league while Blake is just a rookie.

National High School Star

What I wanna know is do people other than the thread creator actually think Griffin is better than Dirk?

Banned

So far Blake can't touch Dirk. Has nothing on him other than dunks.