Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223
    Banned

Default Re: Official Manny Pacquiao VS Shane Mosley Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

That was the best one to date...

A. Did they borrow that camera from Abraham Zapruder?

B. Since when is there a celebration after a light training session?

C. I'm beginning to think that this is all one big joke and Charlie Z is trolling the world.

its either c or poor charlie has some very serious mental issues. But he stay winning either way

in real boxing news, which you've probably heard, zab judah is fighting amir khan next month. That one screams guaranteed action fight, can't wait. Froch takes on the road warrior and chavez jr semi steps up finally.

We should start a general boxing thread, that original pac/floyd thread i did a while back turned into that eventually...

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    actually, all the numbers that are oficially reported by hbo are preliminary or projection numbers, the bonafide final numbers don't come out for months. Examples- dlh/mayweather was initially announced at 2.1 mil but when the final tally came out many months later it's accepted at 2.4. Same with floyd-marquez, initially it was at 1 mil, now the accepted number is 1.1

general rule of thumb is that the initial number will grow by 10-15 percent of the original projection. So if 1.3 mil is the minimum projection then the final should be upwards of 1.4. And I think you misread that part, i think he was referencing showtime having to count the buys themselves, not arum or top rank.

Not that any of this matters really. Just a question of how many tens of millions of dollars specifically everyone involved is going to get.
    I'm saying that, all of the projections that I have seen are projections by Bob Arum. He is the one saying that it is 'definitely 1.3 million.'

The whole 10-15 percent growth may exist, but that is when a promotional company, a television company, etc. agree on the number that is released.

Usually, there is a headline like this...

USAToday: Mayweather-Mosley pulls in $78 million and 1.4 million PPV buys

There is no such headline or story for the Pacquiao-Mosley fight, because no one seems to have any indication of the actual total, except for what Bob Arum is saying... And he has proven to be totally unreliable in the past.

Again, I'm not saying that the fight didn't do 1.3 million buys. That is right around where I thought it would be... Actually, I figured it would do a little over a million... Maybe 1.1 or 1.2.

But, that isn't really the point... My point is, I'm not just going to blindly trust Arum, because both of us have been burned in the past on his extremely inflated projections. And, it seems that other people are getting the same feeling.

When I hear a number from a source -- any source -- other than Bob Arum, I will believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    its either c or poor charlie has some very serious mental issues. But he stay winning either way

in real boxing news, which you've probably heard, zab judah is fighting amir khan next month. That one screams guaranteed action fight, can't wait. Froch takes on the road warrior and chavez jr semi steps up finally.

We should start a general boxing thread, that original pac/floyd thread i did a while back turned into that eventually...
    Yes, I heard... And RaiderFan must have read your mind...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=225058

Let's head over there, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    fight camp 360 had an episode after the fight

there's a part where shane was asking nazim to stop the fight
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9tUU...embedded#at=20

pathetic

^it was after the 10th round too where pacquiao had the stupid knockdown that shouldnt have counted.
    pacquiao was getting pissed and shane was getting scared
    this is why i like fight champ 360. they always do an aftermath show. It's also done more "reality" style as opposed to HBO and their "hollywood" style.

I don't think that there is anything pathetic about Shane asking for the fight to be stopped. He knew that he didn't have anything. The guy couldn't pull the trigger from the opening round. By the 10th round, I'm quite sure that he realized he didn't belong in that ring and he wasn't trying to get hurt in pursuit of some moral victory.

Shane is a warrior. I don't blame him for the effort he gave against Pacquiao. We all saw that coming. Anyone that expected it to be a great fight or for Shane to come out firing hadn't seen him in his previous two fights.

He doesn't deserve the criticism that he has gotten post-Pacquiao.

NBA rookie of the year

If you watch a bad movie preview and go and see the movie anyway, then you really can't complain if the movie turns out bad. That was the case in the Pac/Mosley fight.

One of the biggest problems is that there aren't many good or to a lesser degree, entertaining fighters out there. Almost every up-and-comer get exposed just as they are on the brink of stardom. This is why guys like Hopkins and Shane are able to hang around.

I watched the Chad Dawson fight replay and as talented and strong as he is, he looked dull and scared to take risks. Very dissappointing performance.

I don't think that there is anything pathetic about Shane asking for the fight to be stopped. He knew that he didn't have anything. The guy couldn't pull the trigger from the opening round. By the 10th round, I'm quite sure that he realized he didn't belong in that ring and he wasn't trying to get hurt in pursuit of some moral victory.

Shane is a warrior. I don't blame him for the effort he gave against Pacquiao. We all saw that coming. Anyone that expected it to be a great fight or for Shane to come out firing hadn't seen him in his previous two fights.

He doesn't deserve the criticism that he has gotten post-Pacquiao.
    I think he does deserve some of the criticism. You got to consider that he did a lot of talking. It really doesn't matter that he was a huge underdog. At the end of the day, this is boxing. If you say you're going to come to fight, then fight. I don't know if you can call what he did "effort". Morales vs Maidana, is what you call effort. The problem with Shane is he went in there for a paycheck. He went for survival, instead of trying to win. Seriously, you'd think he would show up just a little bit for his last big pay day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    If you watch a bad movie preview and go and see the movie anyway, then you really can't complain if the movie turns out bad. That was the case in the Pac/Mosley fight.

One of the biggest problems is that there aren't many good or to a lesser degree, entertaining fighters out there. Almost every up-and-comer get exposed just as they are on the brink of stardom. This is why guys like Hopkins and Shane are able to hang around.

I watched the Chad Dawson fight replay and as talented and strong as he is, he looked dull and scared to take risks. Very dissappointing performance.
    I think the main problem to this is that big fat 0 mysticism in the L column that has pervaded boxing for like a decade. Everyone is about this or that undefeated guy and a lot of endorsement go around guys who have such, especially with young guys and promoters. I think until that goes away you'll have a lot of guys who could be great not reach that next level mentally.

A guy loses, especially early in his career and he is basically put on the back burner and tossed aside. I think Khan is a great example of a guy who could have had that happen due to his loss, but who had people step up and help him get better and keep going and getting better as a complete boxer.

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
    I think he does deserve some of the criticism. You got to consider that he did a lot of talking. It really doesn't matter that he was a huge underdog. At the end of the day, this is boxing. If you say you're going to come to fight, then fight. I don't know if you can call what he did "effort". Morales vs Maidana, is what you call effort. The problem with Shane is he went in there for a paycheck. He went for survival, instead of trying to win. Seriously, you'd think he would show up just a little bit for his last big pay day.
    You have to be able to decipher the difference between a guy hyping a fight up and what is actually going to happen. Shane looked just as tentative against Sergio freaking Mora. Of course he isn't going to pull the trigger against Pacquiao. The reason why me and most other people were decrying this matchup from the get-go was because Shane didn't belong in that ring after his recent performances. It was obvious what was going to happen.

I didn't even watch the pre-fight events or pressers or hype campaigns... No need to. I felt confident in that fight being a total mismatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One

I have never been impressed with Dawson and I think Hopkins is going to beat him. He fights WAY too tentatively for me to take serious. You can fight tentatively when you have the skills of a Mayweather or Whitaker. Dawson is not on that level, neither is skill nor athleticism.

You have to be able to decipher the difference between a guy hyping a fight up and what is actually going to happen. Shane looked just as tentative against Sergio freaking Mora. Of course he isn't going to pull the trigger against Pacquiao. The reason why me and most other people were decrying this matchup from the get-go was because Shane didn't belong in that ring after his recent performances. It was obvious what was going to happen.

I didn't even watch the pre-fight events or pressers or hype campaigns... No need to. I felt confident in that fight being a total mismatch.
    The fact that Shane is shot to shit and was a total mismatch is beside the point. Again, take Morales-Maidana for example. This match was an even bigger mismatch than Pacquiao-Mosley and Morales was shot before Mosley fought Mayweather. Did he take the fight for a paycheck and went in trying to survive? Nope. Against all odds, old ass Morales went in there and took it to the young gun. He too did a lot of talking and nobody believed him. Difference is, he backed it up unlike Shane.

Seriously, I've seen "gatekeepers" who know pretty much know they're in there for a check and as a stepping stone to the youngster, fight with more effort than Shane did. Sorry, but there is no excuse for Shane not even trying to win a round or two.

And maybe I'm not giving Manny enough credit. Maybe he is that good that he made a warrior like Shane once was, throw in the towel mentally after 2 rounds. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him for wanting the fight stopped. But he should have quit back when he stopped trying in the early rounds, or listen to Nazzim and suck it up. Either you quit or you fight. He chose to run away in the boxing fight. Of course he is going to be criticized.

Here's the link to the final Aftermatch episode. Have to say that its pretty cool. Wish HBO would do a aftermath as part of their 24/7. Gives you a closer and more personal look at the fight from the participant themselves. I also LOL'd at how confident Mosley and his crew are, considering the outcome. Plus we see much more Bella Gonzales, which is always good. She even calls out Shane, mid fight lol

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=T8NQPWY6
    Last edited by SCREWstonRockets; 06-05-2011 at 04:20 PM.