Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: If you had to pick: Grizzly Bear vs. Silverback Gorilla

The bear can take multiple magnum bullets and still be fine. Can gorilla inflict the same pain? I doubt it. The gorilla also lack proper defense against the bear's claw. The only hope the silverback has is its mythical hand strength. Mythical because no one knows how great it is exactly. I would say being able to tear a bear limb to limb would be a gross exaggeration but who knows.

Also, lions have been said to kill gorillas so there's that.

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero
    Pete you're crazy if you don't think a SB is gonna use his teeth. He might not eat the bear afterwards but you really don't think he'd bite in an all out brawl?

SB's Smarts, thumbs and arms give him the advantage.
    No I don't think it would. SB's are herbivores, they don't know how to use their teeth in a fight. They never have and they never will.

And the arms are not an advantage. Both of their upper bodies are equal in strength.

shhhhhhh

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

I little misrepresented. That's bigfoot, not a Bear. Bigfoot has a different style of fighting.

im goin with the silverback.

Only if it was truly pissed off, I could see it "bear hugging" the bear til it broke its spine with those massive arms.

Ive also seen on tv where they had a female orangutan play tug of war with a couple of sumo wrestlers. The orangutan was using one arm and it easily pulled all of them around. Well lets see by analyzing the stats here we have 3 sumo wrestlers weighing in at 1000lbs and one female orangutan weighing in at 140lbs. Duh whos gonna win?

He shoots, he bricks. Mr. Grieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    No I don't think it would. SB's are herbivores, they don't know how to use their teeth in a fight. They never have and they never will.

And the arms are not an advantage. Both of their upper bodies are equal in strength.
    Chimps and other apes routinely deliver vicious bites in fights. Particularily chimps when killing other chimps.

It's pretty much instinct to bite when some sh*t is in front of your mouth. So why wouldn't they use those over-developed canines?

Quote Originally Posted by mrpuente
    im goin with the silverback.

Only if it was truly pissed off, I could see it "bear hugging" the bear til it broke its spine with those massive arms.

Ive also seen on tv where they had a female orangutan play tug of war with a couple of sumo wrestlers. The orangutan was using one arm and it easily pulled all of them around. Well lets see by analyzing the stats here we have 3 sumo wrestlers weighing in at 1000lbs and one female orangutan weighing in at 140lbs. Duh whos gonna win?
    Comparing 3 human beings to a Grizzly Bear? Good one. Only on ISH, only on ISH.

I would take a silverback gorilla vs just about any other land animal.

Ok so i posted this in another thread and nobody knew, so maybe in this meeting of animal enthusiasts somebody will have an idea.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?

It's like a cat mixed with a rabbit mixed with a squirrel

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grieves
    Chimps and other apes routinely deliver vicious bites in fights. Particularily chimps when killing other chimps.

It's pretty much instinct to bite when some sh*t is in front of your mouth. So why wouldn't they use those over-developed canines?
    What do chimps have to do with Silverback Gorillas? Other than that they're the same species? Do all dolphins act the same because they're the same species? Try again. Gorillas are strong animals that use brute force to fight whoever they have to fight. I highly doubt they've ever used their teeth in fights especially when they've probably never encountered another animal that they couldn't easily beat by not just using their strength and pummeling it to death.

People need to realize that these two animals have never faced each other, they aren't natural enemies. So to say one animal is going to do something against the other is pure guess-work. You have to gauge each others strength and weakness overall and judge from that.

And there's no such thing as home field advantage. It would have to be a neutral zone.

Blu Ray

Bear first round K.O., doesn't break a sweat. Goes home and beats Robin Givens.

I'll go with James Harrison.

he did say chimps and other apes bite each other in fights. A gorilla would constitute an ape. Other male gorillas coming into an alpha males group would be a formidable opponent that an alpha male couldnt just easily beat with brute force.

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    And there's no such thing as home field advantage. It would have to be a neutral zone.
    Should make them fight on a moving cruise ship

Grizzly Bear in a landslide.
    I'm assuming many of you haven't seen a grizzly (in the wild) in person.

I haven't seen a silverback in person other than the zoo, but from reading Dian Fossey's, Gorilla's in the Mist, I am absolutely certain the bear would kill the silverback in less than 10 minutes. That is, if the silverback didn't retreat. Silverbacks crap themselves in fights. That's right, they drop diarrhea and blood from their anuses in fright. They don't actually like fighting. Bears live to to fight and kill.